I was wondering if It's abnormal or bad technique to use your index and your pinky to fret power chords instead of your index and ring? When I try to use my ring finger it feels really awkward as if im trying to fit too many fingers into the area and then things start to tense up and its hard to keep my fingers fluid and rolling. Is it harmful to my technique to continue playing this way?
I would say that's good that you are excersisng your pinky, but when you are playing a power chord that includes the octave, or a barre chord, you won't be able to use your pinky then.

But I dunno... probably some more knowledgable people will come.
I end up fretting the octave with my ring... It's like my ring and pinky switch roles when it comes to power chords.
I agree w/ magics, if you use your pinky to fret the upper half of your power chords all the time, it leaves no option to add your 9 etc.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
You should definitely try to switch it up. From low to high, your finger order should be index > ring > pinky. Although your method works just fine, you don't want to create a bad habit. Remember, power chords are just "root" chords. When you play the full barre chord and any variations, you need to save your pinky. It would be very unfortunate if you program your muscle memory to play roots incorrectly, so much so that it would screw up your barres and other full chords.

That's my advice.
Last edited by AeroRocker at Aug 27, 2010,
It's absolutely fine.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Play both the 5th and octave with your pinky, like the real pros.
Quote by Oixord
Play both the 5th and octave with your pinky, like the real pros.

xD

You will be fine usin the pinky, but I agree that you should probly try to use your ring finger for the 5th to avoid troubles later down the line.
I play it different. I just use my ring finger and barre the next string for the octave. But your way is fine too. As long as it works for you, it's good.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Razer86
xD

You will be fine usin the pinky, but I agree that you should probly try to use your ring finger for the 5th to avoid troubles later down the line.

There are no troubles. I do it that way and have no troubles, James Hetfield does it and has no trouble (I know, the "[insert pro's name here] does it!" defense is weak, but this is a very basic matter) and human hands are really quite smart. They know how to switch between ring and pinkie based on context.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Aug 28, 2010,
I say play it how you want to play it. If you need to play a different chord which calls for your pinky, just replace the pink with the other finger and use your pinky to do what's needed. You can use whatever fingers you want to play different shapes as long as it works. I play a power chord with my 1 3 4 fingers.
Last edited by MousseMoose at Aug 28, 2010,
I use 1-3-4 and it works fine, if I want to add something in, then I just use something else.

Isn't rocket science people.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
There are no troubles. I do it that way and have no troubles, James Hetfield does it and has no trouble (I know, the "[insert pro's name here] does it!" defense is weak, but this is a very basic matter) and human hands are really quite smart. They know how to switch between ring and pinkie based on context.

haha just like how my old guitar teacher used to tell me barring a chord with your thumb is bad. hendrix does it haha.
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Quote by eyeownyu
haha just like how my old guitar teacher used to tell me barring a chord with your thumb is bad. hendrix does it haha.

It IS bad, for your hand mostly.
Well thanks for all the replies, it's a shame that there are so many mixed ideas but I suppose it's better than nothing.