What makes guitar players (Dave Murray, Adrian Smith ect) sound so good?
Is it their amp/guitars?
Or is it in their hands and fingers? Because I've been through 10.000$ worth of equipment to try and sound like my favorite guitar players, but I don't even come close.
And what do I need to work on to sound really good?
I have around 8 years of practice under my belt, although I still don't know what practice REALLY is.
Last edited by Hckey# at Aug 27, 2010,
Bit of both, I'd imagine. Fantastic guitars, amps and effects, all eq'd just right, and they know all their songs so well they can play most of it without thinking too much. Same as the more you practice a riff/song the better it sounds.

Something I've always found, is that electric guitar never really sounds right without a band behind it. If you're playing solo, that might have something to do with it.

Plus, I'd rate there's a sneaky bit of post production editing going on for a lot of it.

What gear do you have now?
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Ah thanks Joeval.
I have a Fender stratocaster (lefthand), and a Fender frontman 15R (practice amp)
Before that I had a Gibson les paul (lefthand) and Marshall JCM2000 100watt.

When I watch youtube on covers of Iron Maiden songs people that play sound so identical to the record, even with gear cheaper then mine. So it makes me think that its not an equipment problem, but rather pure skills.
Why on earth did you go from a Marshall JCM2000 100w to a Fender Frontman? I'd say the amp will be a big problem as the amp delivers most of your tone and the Frontman is one of the worst amps I've ever played through. Are you using any effects (not that they will save a 15w Frontman)?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Financial problems Doadman, thats why I had to get rid of the JCM2000.
But still with a Gibson les paul through a Marshall (JCM2000) I dident get the sound/tone I was after. Maybe I'm just not a guitar playing guy.
And yeah the frontman is shit. Going to buy another practice amp soon, any tips on a new amp?
Last edited by Hckey# at Aug 27, 2010,
Hey man, alot of the tone comes from the amp and head that the guitarists use, but also from the guitar. We'll take your guitars for example. A fender strat, has a much jazzier sound and no offense to anyone that plays a fender, it's not a real rock guitar. the les paul on the other hand is one of the guitars that built rock. it has a much chrunchier sound that inspired greats like Jimmy Page.

most guitarists use some form of effects pedal as well. When my band learns a new song, me and the other guitarist will spend a good twenty minutes to half an hour just figuring out a good effect combo for the song. Having the right tone can make all the difference. also seeing that you are limited on money (I know the feeling) you should pick up a multi-effects processor. I recommend a digitech 250 or 250A. These aren't top of the line but they are pretty good and much cheaper than a really good one. infact I use these.

Some guitarists use seperate pedals, this is very expensive and every time the line goes into a new pedal, the sound gets muddier. This can help you find a great tone on most amps, but i would recomend going with a Line 6 spider, or a Crate for best results on a budget. and dont forget to play with the eq on the amp as well as the amount of gain, chorus and reverb (if you have the options).

also FYI: being good at guitar doesn't change the tone at all.
Commenting on your initial thought, playing techniques can play a huge role in tone. I remember reading something about a famous guitarist attempting to emulate Brian May's tone, but couldn't. It was all in his hands. So, don't get hung up if you can't match a tone just by your equipment. Sometimes tone is all in the personality of the player.
Quote by krypticguitar87
Hey man, alot of the tone comes from the amp and head that the guitarists use

Head = amp

Quote by krypticguitar87

A fender strat, has a much jazzier sound and no offense to anyone that plays a fender, it's not a real rock guitar.

Wow.

Jimi Hendrix, John Frusciante, David Gilmore, Mark Knopfler, Ritchie Blackmore, Pete Townshend, SRV, Clapton...

Quote by krypticguitar87
you should pick up a multi-effects processor.

Cheap multi-FX sound cheap. You should only start to add effects when you're happy with your basic Guitar ---> Amp sound.

Quote by krypticguitar87
i would recomend going with a Line 6 spider

NO

Quote by krypticguitar87

Yes it does. Nobody in the world can get David Gilmore's tone exactly how David Gilmore plays it without David Gilmore's fingers, regardless of their rig. Much like nobody can get your tone without your fingers.

TS: I'd definitely trade in your Frontman for a small-wattage tube head like the Egnater Tweaker. Check them out. They can get you Fender, Vox, and Marshall tones, and they're only $399 for the head
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Hckey#
I have around 8 years of practice under my belt, although I still don't know what practice REALLY is.

Ouch - 8 years a long time to not know what your doing. No offense.

Guitar players sound really good because they play really good.
All the rest (gear choice) is just a matter of personal preference.
There's no certain gear (or amount of money) that will cause you to play better.
Quote by krypticguitar87

I read that and thought wtf? But then I saw the Line6 recommendation. Okay, Line6 amps are nice, don't get me wrong. My main issue with amps with so much processing capability is it eliminates a lot of the skill involved to actually sound decent on the guitar.

As for the TS:

It is a combination of skill as well as gear. If you have true guitar skill it will come through in what you are playing. Yeah certain amp and guitar combos sound better, but having good technical ability as well as knowledge of theory can make up for that.

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith have pretty different playing styles. They mesh that and it ends up making Iron Maiden's songs sound amazing. The fact that you can listen to a Maiden song and tell which solo is Dave's and which is Adrian's based on phrasing alone backs up this point.

The point is, whether you have a rig worth $20,000 or a rig worth $500, how you play and who you are makes all the difference. You may be able to emulate Dave or Adrian, but you will never play exactly like them. You should try to develop your own playing style. Use techniques that Dave and Adrian use to further enhance your playing, but do not rely on playing exactly like them.