Hi guys.

I'm looking for a relatively compact "coffee table book sized" chart that includes major and minor scales, pentatonics and modes.

Heavy duty stuff so it can last for some time while I practice and learn all this cool stuff and all the positions. I've seen some wall posters but those are to big and my wife wouldn't want them in our living room.

There are some cool stuff on the web and I've searched the UG forums, but most stuff I've seen is either "interactive" and computer only or not very printer friendly.

I'm willing to spend some money on some quality chart.

I might consider some compact, low-page, book that can be thrown around. And that is easy to lay on a table while I play on the couch, chilling. Maybe with some theory on the subject. I'm a intermediate player (theory novice) and I'm interest in learning more blues/rock/metal lead.

Care to give some advice and lead me to something that's good?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by matarroano
Hi guys.

I'm looking for a relatively compact "coffee table book sized" chart that includes major and minor scales, pentatonics and modes.

Heavy duty stuff so it can last for some time while I practice and learn all this cool stuff and all the positions. I've seen some wall posters but those are to big and my wife wouldn't want them in our living room.

There are some cool stuff on the web and I've searched the UG forums, but most stuff I've seen is either "interactive" and computer only or not very printer friendly.

I might consider some compact, low-page, book that can be thrown around. And that is easy to lay on a table while I play on the couch, chilling. Maybe with some theory on the subject. I'm a intermediate player (theory novice) and I'm interest in learning more blues/rock/metal lead.

Thanks in advance.

Look up Guy's Grids. It's interesting. I own his books, because I met the guy, but Ive never had a personal need to read them, past a few pages, but it looks like he's come up with some great ideas, that if I did not already have everything I needed, I would have made use of.

Best,

Sean
Hi Sean,

thanks for the great tip. It really does look that could do it for me. Looks really good. I wonder if you have experience with the companion "guy scales book". There are no samples available or reviews.

Still open to other, cheaper, ideas. So thank you all for every an any idea.

Cheers Sean!
Quote by matarroano
Hi Sean,

thanks for the great tip. It really does look that could do it for me. Looks really good. I wonder if you have experience with the companion "guy scales book". There are no samples available or reviews.

Still open to other, cheaper, ideas. So thank you all for every an any idea.

Cheers Sean!

My recommendation is also my endorsement.

Now, from a personal standpoint everything he does and shows is probably redundant for me.

What else do I need to better understand the neck and every chord and scale of the guitar, once I have understood the neck and every chord and scale on the guitar? Nothing... see my point? If you know it all already you dont need any additional "knowing", so, being as Im on the other side of that mountain...nothing new or beneficial for me.

But from an observational standpoint it fits what you are looking for in your specification. The system itself is unique and the co-relations he makes are unique. He can claim originality here. You arent going to find it anywhere else. I won't claim what he does is easy but man theres a lot of forethought and detail, and the book is massive. It could easily BE a coffee table, not to mention a coffee table BOOK. If you notice the high cost for it, that's very justified because the quality and detail and content and organization slays any book Ive ever seen.

Again, it was not helpful for me because I already know every scale and chord everywhere, but most people are not like that, so I can see how this with careful study would be beneficial to others. I bought them because I got to talk with and know Guy, and there will probably never be books like this published in my lifetime, if for some reason he were to have had a short run, and I found them worth owning for that reason, alone, if nothing else.

Best,

Sean
Quote by matarroano
Hi guys.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about a book, but alot of the commonly used scales are here for free....

Scale Diagrams

You can print out the ones you're working on.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 28, 2010,