Hi guys!
I own a Peavey Vypyr 30W and I would like to start recording some song but not throu the video camera because the audio is crap.

So, I come here to ask you for suggestion!
I heard Reaper is a good software but still I need your opinion.

One more thing, which of these configurations are the best/correct:

Guitar>amp>-USB->Computer>Record
Guitar>-USB->Computer>record using a digital amp some how

or any other correct way?

Thanks!
Reaper is very good. Plus you get the trial version of it with the Vypyr

Also, for recording, I've found that getting a cable (the same type you would use for the aux in), and plugging that into the headphone jack on the amp, and the other end into the line in on the computer gives fairly good quality recordings. Not the best quality, and certainly not professional quality, but if you're using a Vypyr, I wouldn't imagine that is what you really looking for.

If you want, I could probably record something that way and post it if you would like to hear what the quality is like.
if your amp has a USB jack, you could use that into your computer. ive never tried it that way, so i dont know how it would sound. if you dont have usb capabilities, you can always mic your amp to get killer sounds, if you know how to do it properly. go to your local music store and they can help you out. im not a microphone guru. or just google it. :-)

if you are recording WITH your amp the guitar--amp--usb--computer route is the way to go. if you choose not to use the amp, you will need something with usb capabilities such as line 6 pod. i ve never used it, but i know alot of people that have and are happy with it.

as far as recording software goes, i use native instruments' GUITAR RIG (which you may not need since you have an amp) into Ableton's LIVE 7. this program is right up there with protools and cubase as far as functionality and quality goes.
Quote by robhc

Also, for recording, I've found that getting a cable (the same type you would use for the aux in), and plugging that into the headphone jack on the amp, and the other end into the line in on the computer gives fairly good quality recordings. Not the best quality, and certainly not professional quality, but if you're using a Vypyr, I wouldn't imagine that is what you really looking for.

If you want, I could probably record something that way and post it if you would like to hear what the quality is like.

You know what, I'll post it any ways.

Here's a the recording of what I played. I'm horrendously out of time, out of tune, and I made so many mistakes it's not even funny, but I'm not on trial here, the recording quality is.
Recording Demo

I recorded that using Reaper.
I used this cable:

That's both ends of the one cable, not two cables. I put one end in the head phone output of the amp, and the other into the microphone input on my laptop. It would help if you got a splitter cable as well, so you can use headphones as well to hear what you're playing lol.
I'd just like to chime in and say that these recording methods in my ears are all extremely, extremely inferior to just recording my amp through my Macbook's built-in microphone. There's still some peaks and bass booming I need to EQ out (nothing too big) and you can still hear the strings and my pick even when I'm standing a few feet away, but two tracks, one panned hard to the left and the other panned hard to the right, and it sounds incredibly fat, big and downright kick ass. And that's coming from a cheap 15W SS amp with a cheap 8" built-in speaker.

I'll put up two comparison videos tomorrow. One where I record using my laptop's microphone, and one where I record using a professional recording microphone. You'll hear the (huge) difference.
No, thanks. I've tried it and REALLY didn't like the sound of it. That's the reason I'm looking for some alternatives.
Quote by amiguels
No, thanks. I've tried it and REALLY didn't like the sound of it. That's the reason I'm looking for some alternatives.

We'll see if you'll stick by that statement after tomorrow
I said that no to Metallon but to robhc!
I haven tries with a professional mic yet.
Oh, what do you need to connect the mic to the PC?
Ah, my bad! I'll clarify either way: Recording with my laptop's mic sounded much better than with the professional mic. That's what I meant.

Well, the mic is my friend's. I borrowed it, and this cable:

http://www.nordiskmusik.se/Global/Produkter-bilder/kabel_xlr-tele-pro_stor.jpg

It's an XLR to Tele cable. The XLR end goes in to the microphone. Then I have a small 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. The Tele end of that cable goes into the adapter's 1/4" end, and the 1/8" end goes into the laptop. It's not as messy as I make it sound.

amiguels: Could you post a record of you recording with a normal computer microphone, or something to that effect?
Quote by Metallon
I'd just like to chime in and say that these recording methods in my ears are all extremely, extremely inferior to just recording my amp through my Macbook's built-in microphone. There's still some peaks and bass booming I need to EQ out (nothing too big) and you can still hear the strings and my pick even when I'm standing a few feet away, but two tracks, one panned hard to the left and the other panned hard to the right, and it sounds incredibly fat, big and downright kick ass. And that's coming from a cheap 15W SS amp with a cheap 8" built-in speaker.

I'll put up two comparison videos tomorrow. One where I record using my laptop's microphone, and one where I record using a professional recording microphone. You'll hear the (huge) difference.

Wait... are you saying you get better results using the built in on the Macbook than with a microphone? Btw you're only hearing the strings because your amp isn't turned up loud enough to cover it

I use a Shure Beta57 and interface to record. Miles and miles better than what I previously did with cheap direct in methods (not all are, just what I was doing to get by). Doubling tracks, left/right mixing and tracking using multiple amps or even eq settings makes all the difference though.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
Wait... are you saying you get better results using the built in on the Macbook than with a microphone? Btw you're only hearing the strings because your amp isn't turned up loud enough to cover it

I use a Shure Beta57 and interface to record. Miles and miles better than what I previously did with cheap direct in methods (not all are, just what I was doing to get by). Doubling tracks, left/right mixing and tracking using multiple amps or even eq settings makes all the difference though.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I've tried turning it up as loud as I can before I start upsetting neighbors... volume at around 5-ish. I'm still working on that.

Well I'll give you that, I'm only using the microphone and then record directly on Garage Band. I've tried various angles and tried tons of variations of distance and height and what not. I might have to crank the amp even more (I have not recorded on volume above 3-4... I know, I know! But even when I've recorded with the built-in at lower volumes it's sounded much better!).

My amp inherently is not particularly good. Might just be that the mic picks all that junk up. I don't know. I'll record tomorrow and you'll be able to hear the difference. I am actually HOPING on making the mic method sound better because while the sound is crap, it is clearer. And I love clear.
The cable robhc showed is a good approach. You don't say what kind of USB audio interface you own, but you can either plug the cable into it or even into the line in of your computer's sound card. The other end would go into the headphone out of the amp (as robhc said).

The idea of recording using a built in mic on a laptop is not IMO a good one. And unless you have a good mic and a decent mic preamp I would just use the headphone out approach.

Here is a recording of my Vypyr 15 using the same cable plugged into the headphone out -> sound card line in.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/fly135/music/play588634
Quote by Metallon
That's exactly what I'm saying. I've tried turning it up as loud as I can before I start upsetting neighbors... volume at around 5-ish. I'm still working on that.

Well I'll give you that, I'm only using the microphone and then record directly on Garage Band. I've tried various angles and tried tons of variations of distance and height and what not. I might have to crank the amp even more (I have not recorded on volume above 3-4... I know, I know! But even when I've recorded with the built-in at lower volumes it's sounded much better!).

My amp inherently is not particularly good. Might just be that the mic picks all that junk up. I don't know. I'll record tomorrow and you'll be able to hear the difference. I am actually HOPING on making the mic method sound better because while the sound is crap, it is clearer. And I love clear.

Get an interface, your using a dynamic mic, which is passive, so it's needs a powersource to boost the signal to line level, which explains why you can't get it to sound loud enough.

To TS, get Reaper, an interface like the M-Audio Fast Track, and a good mic like a Sure SM-57, or Audix I5 mic.
Oh yeah, what music do you play? I forgot! With the mic I'm using, cleans sound excellent! It's the more hardrock/heavy metal sound it seems to turn into shit.
What I play with:

A guitar
An amplifier
MY HANDS
Quote by robhc

Reaper is free.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You really just have to mess around and use your ears. I've been recording with a crappy radioshack dynamic mic, right into the mic input on my computer... using a Peavey Rage 158. I imagine the Vypyr is a much better amp, and even I got some pretty nice results. A couple of the clips in my profile are with the Rage.

An SM57 and an interface would be awesome, but don't expect it to be much better. A lot of it is technique, not just sticking a mic up to the speaker with your favorite settings on.

Sometime with my Rage 158, I'd use the headphone out into the mic input on my computer, and the use impulses, but I think the Vypyrs have cab simulation, so that wouldn't be necessary.
We're talking about Metallica, Megadeth, GN'R, Van Halen, ...
So, mic with interface (what ever that is) or straight to the computer (with maybe something in the middle)?
Dude just got a pod UX1, thats what i'm gonna do
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by Metallon

I can use my laptop speakers for when I record with my acoustic. But if I use either my 15watt SS amp or my Marshall DSL100, theres so much clipping that it sounds like absolute crap. Even when the laptop is far away from the amps.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
i have a reeeeeeeeaaaally really old mac. but i go guitar--POD 2.0---line in-----Audacity. its good for getting some demos up

and i listen with some Bose Headphones