Hey everyone. So! Your all gonna get sick of me in the new few weeks! (Just warning you ).
Anyways, I got my beautiful Tanglewood about 3 weeks ago, and don't get me wrong I've had guitars before but nothing major really, they've just been cheapo under £100 guitars, that have been given to me as a present, and this is the first guitar i've bought with my own money, it cost me £135 when I had a budget of £140 - got a £35 discount , so I think it's a pretty good deal! This guitar has got to last me through high school pretty much (in my 4th year out of 5 now) and I'll be using it for school performances, so I want it to be in pretty good condition until I can afford a new one. Before I ask my question, I think I best show you guys the beauty and then I can ask.

Okay so my question, what do I need to buy in the next few weeks to make sure it stays in good condition and sounds incredible? I'm going to get a hard case at christmas with money I recieve from my grandparents, as I get £5 a week at the moment. I do have a guitar capo, but it buzzes whenever I put it on a fret - so I need one soon, I was thinking one of these?

I have a tuner too, which I'm quite happy with at the moment, and I also have a load of guitar picks. What else do I need to buy? Everything on my guitar is what it's come with (strings, bridge pins etc), so what else?
Well, to keep it in good condition, just make sure you keep it in good a climate with a reasonable humidity level. I do believe the humidity index should be around 55%, or something close to that nature (but I would double check). If that would be a bit tough, you can always get a small humidifier to put in the room it will be stored in the most.

I haven't used that capo before, but it certainly looks reasonable. I recently bought one of those G7th capos, and love it. Though before that I used a Dunlop Trigger capo that was a dream to use compared to others. It should only cost about 15 - 20 USD, depending on where you get it.

It might not hurt to look into some polish or a clear wax to help keep the finish protected; again, I used Dunlop, Formula 65 stuff works very well for me. Once a year, abouts, a lot of people will use lynseed oil, or something similar, lightly on their fretboard to keep it clean and in good order.

And, just to make your life easier, get a string winder. They're very inexpensive, every music store should have them, and it can make your life so much better when it comes time to changing strings again.

That's all I got, at the moment. Beautiful guitar, by the way.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
the most important thing you can buy for any wood guitar is a hygrometer. you'll need to test it, then either calibrate it or write down and keep the percentage it's high or low. then use it regularly, and if it's too dry where you are, get a humidifier, if it's too humid, get a dry pack of some sort of a room dehumidifier, or use your a/c which will also pull humidity out of the air.

ideally your guitar should be kept at between 40% and 55% humidity. a little less or more won't hurt anything, but if your guitar is too dry, it can have issues including cracking, and can swell if it's too humid, which will make it sound worse and can cause the bridge to lift or bracing to detach inside.
You'll probably be changing your strings once a month if not more often. Stock up on some if you see a good sale.
Quote by patticake
the most important thing you can buy for any wood guitar is a hygrometer. you'll need to test it, then either calibrate it or write down and keep the percentage it's high or low. then use it regularly, and if it's too dry where you are, get a humidifier, if it's too humid, get a dry pack of some sort of a room dehumidifier, or use your a/c which will also pull humidity out of the air.

ideally your guitar should be kept at between 40% and 55% humidity. a little less or more won't hurt anything, but if your guitar is too dry, it can have issues including cracking, and can swell if it's too humid, which will make it sound worse and can cause the bridge to lift or bracing to detach inside.

Unless she's showering with it or lives with the little mermaid I'd say all that is a bit too far for a mostly laminate guitar.

If it was solid wood then I'd support that, but keeping it in a room temperature closet without mildew growing in it, with the guitar in it's case is fine.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 27, 2010,
if its a budget guitar then you will want to spoil the guitar with some ebony bridge pins $17 at guitar center (they SHOULD ship to anywhere in the world) also get some Dunlop formula no. 65 cleaner/ polish an DO NOT use a micro fiber cleaning cloth they will cause tiny scratches in the finish also dont play in the blistering sun. shade is fine but direct sunlight for a prolonged period of time can warp any guitar
Glad you are pleased with it.

Try and get a nice Ritter gig bag to keep it safe.

Something for the fretboard when you change strings, such as the Dunlop suggested or Keiser etc.

Some spray car polish for the body and a microfibre cloth to polish it up.

The only Capo you want is a G7th for about £25. The best, quite simply and very easy to use.

PAY SOMEONE, to give it a proper setup. Levelling and dressing the frets, setting neck relief and action, fit a bone nut if it don't have one and a bone or Tusq saddle.
Save up for it, as it might cost you £80 but will be worth every penny if you go to a decent local guy (not some tit in the local guitar shop - do some research)

Don't worry too much about Humidity. The guitar is mostly laminated, so is much less affected, but just be sensible and don't store it near any radiators etc or anywhere damp.

If you want to be safe, get a room thermometer/hygrometer from Boots , £15.

Pop that on the wall or somewhere where you keep your guitar.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Thanks for all the help everyone.
I'll probably ask for a G7th capo for xmas, because I have an addiction to energy drinks at the moment, and it costs me £2 for 8, which lasts me a week, and then I've only got £3 left a week lmao. I'll buy a cheapo capo to put me on, and then get the G7th .
I'll also probably spoil it with some ebony bridge pins like said, I was looking at them earlier, and then I'm buying some Dunlop Formula 65 this weekend, as well as a cheapo capo. I'll most likely make a list .
Quote by Fieryhead
Thanks for all the help everyone.
I'll probably ask for a G7th capo for xmas, because I have an addiction to energy drinks at the moment, and it costs me £2 for 8, which lasts me a week, and then I've only got £3 left a week lmao. I'll buy a cheapo capo to put me on, and then get the G7th .
I'll also probably spoil it with some ebony bridge pins like said, I was looking at them earlier, and then I'm buying some Dunlop Formula 65 this weekend, as well as a cheapo capo. I'll most likely make a list .

WOW someone is taking MY advice? wait a sec...........*pinches myself* not dreaming! sweet

all stupidness aside........once you get the ebony pins your guitar will resonate forever!
and the dunlop formula 65 is cheap for how good it works
also dunlop makes a cheap toggle capo which is better IMO than the other bulky ones

i sound like some crazy dunlop spokesperson dont i? lol
Quote by fenderfreak100
WOW someone is taking MY advice? wait a sec...........*pinches myself* not dreaming! sweet

all stupidness aside........once you get the ebony pins your guitar will resonate forever!
and the dunlop formula 65 is cheap for how good it works
also dunlop makes a cheap toggle capo which is better IMO than the other bulky ones

i sound like some crazy dunlop spokesperson dont i? lol

lmao, better than listening to the pit

Lmao pretty much
Quote by Fieryhead
lmao, better than listening to the pit

Lmao pretty much

i effing HATE their strings though
i dont know y i use D'Addario .12's on my acoustic
and Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys for my electric
I don't agree with the pins making all that much of a difference. Since they are on the non-vibrating side of the saddle, they have very little effect on tone, volume and sustain. The bigger upgrade you could perform would be to have a true bone saddle installed. This will make a drastic improvement to tone over a plastic factory one. As much as you like it, that guitar is not a high end model by any means, rather is more entry level. As such, it's not got some of the components that a much more expensive guitar will have. Solid woods, high quality tuners, bone nut and saddle, scalloped bracing and so on. It's pretty enough, but still on the cheap end.
That said, it's these guitars that seem to benefit the most from installing bone nut and saddle, and perhaps a nice set of 18:1 tuners. Then slap on a good set of strings and she should sing pretty well.
My 2 cents worth.
Quote by LeftyDave
I don't agree with the pins making all that much of a difference. Since they are on the non-vibrating side of the saddle, they have very little effect on tone, volume and sustain. The bigger upgrade you could perform would be to have a true bone saddle installed. This will make a drastic improvement to tone over a plastic factory one. As much as you like it, that guitar is not a high end model by any means, rather is more entry level. As such, it's not got some of the components that a much more expensive guitar will have. Solid woods, high quality tuners, bone nut and saddle, scalloped bracing and so on. It's pretty enough, but still on the cheap end.
That said, it's these guitars that seem to benefit the most from installing bone nut and saddle, and perhaps a nice set of 18:1 tuners. Then slap on a good set of strings and she should sing pretty well.
My 2 cents worth.

i have proof that the pins affect tone
Guitar World did an article on how to improve your acoustic guitars tone you can find it towards the back of the May 2009 issue (the one with Steve Vai on the cover)
Seems like no one has mentioned a guitar stand. 8-) You don't want that guitar leaning against the wall waiting to fall over. Get a stand, I once had a couple wall mounted guitar holders that were great. They saved some floor space for my tiny room.
Quote by fuzzymonkey
Seems like no one has mentioned a guitar stand. 8-) You don't want that guitar leaning against the wall waiting to fall over. Get a stand, I once had a couple wall mounted guitar holders that were great. They saved some floor space for my tiny room.

i've already got one . only two though even though i've got 5 guitars in my room atm! but my favourite two are on the stands