I’ve read through the amp section but still can’t figure this out. I see on Stacks(http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM410H--1960AV--and-1960BV-Tube-Guitar-Full-Stack-773027-i1323284.gc for example) that there s a head then 2 speakers underneath, I got that. But I’m looking to getting an amp and don’t have the money for a stack or anything so I am interested in this amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410-100259531-i1145365.gc (what are your thoughts btw?). Now say I ever wanted to play live, would I still be able to use this like a Stack if I just got another speaker? Im just a little confused of what “part” of the stack this would be considered since its got the controls of the head but it’s a speaker too.
Since the controls are on the top of the amp, you'd be in trouble if you had to stick it on top of another 4x10 because it'd be very tall....you'd have to run another cab along the side of it instead of on top......with that said, there's little point to a full stack unless youre doing stadiums and even then, its more for looks.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Paith
Since the controls are on the top of the amp, you'd be in trouble if you had to stick it on top of another 4x10 because it'd be very tall....you'd have to run another cab along the side of it instead of on top......with that said, there's little point to a full stack unless youre doing stadiums and even then, its more for looks.

This ^

Most combo's now days have a speaker out in the back in case you want to add an extension cabinet. But as the user above pointed out, you don't really need all those speakers. You could do a gig or even play a stadium with just a small combo. Thats what a PA is for.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 27, 2010,
Oh ok so I really dont need a Full stack? Im just used to seeing people playing with them. So its normal for people to play with an amp like the Fender but just have it mic'd up?
Oh ok I got it now thanks, that part just confused me. What are your thoughts on the amp, is it a good deal or should I spend a little more for something better?
Well, have you looked at the blackstar ht series? For 1000 bucks I'd say it'd be better, kindof depends on what you play tho.
Quote by srh
Oh ok so I really dont need a Full stack? Im just used to seeing people playing with them. So its normal for people to play with an amp like the Fender but just have it mic'd up?

Yes. A lot of times all those stacks you see lined across the stage are actually just empty shells for looks.

If you bought a stack, and had to drag it back and forth to practice and shows for a few weeks, you'll see why you didn't need a stack.

I'm not quite understanding why you went from the JVM to a Fender Hot Rod though. They are 2 very different amplifiers. JVM is very versatile, and can cover pretty much any genre even high gain territory. The Fender on the other hand is a very classic voiced amp, great for blues and rock, but not so much for anything modern.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by Matt420740

I'm not quite understanding why you went from the JVM to a fender Hot Rod though. they are 2 very different amplifiers.

It was just to show the difference, im not really interested in the JVM.
Quote by srh
Oh ok I got it now thanks, that part just confused me. What are your thoughts on the amp, is it a good deal or should I spend a little more for something better?

Depends on what music you play and how much cash you have and where you are located (so we can search the used market for you).
Quote by Matt420740
This ^

Most combo's now days have a speaker out in the back in case you want to add an extension cabinet. But as the user above pointed out, you don't really need all those speakers. You could do a gig or even play a stadium with just a small combo. Thats what a PA is for.

Pic related.

Pretty much classic rock as well as some newer stuff like Nirvana, killers, Oasis.