My Dean Dimebag Razorback seems to be going out of tune quite a bit lately. i bought it 2nd hand and the guy said that he'd replaced the locking nut with one from his old ibanez.

When i look at the parts where the strings are held down (whatever they're called) they look chewed and like they've been there for a while. What i'm wondering is if i can buy replacement locking nuts and this'll solve my problem? Because everything else seems intact and working fine.

Heres the one's i'm looking at getting: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390170764907&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Heres a pic (sorry it's a bit big):

Any help is appreciated!
Yea they are destroyed really, get new ones and then it should stay in tune a ton better.
Yes you can replace the nut if that is what you want to do. Keep in mind there are different size locking nuts. 42mm and 43mm. Make sure you get the right size, and try to get a few shims in case you need them.
Quote by Afroboy267
Ok cool. What exactly are shims and what do they do?

The shims are to get the height exactly where you need it. Sometimes you won't need a shim, sometimes you will. Sometimes you'll need to just shim one side.
Could i just buy 3 of these instead of replacing the whole locking nut?: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRING-BLOCK-FLOYD-ROSE-LOCKNUT-BLACK-/350356334160?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories
Yes, especially if you aren't sure about the size. If you still replace the nut, make sure you also get one that mounts the same way as your current one (top or bottom).
The more I think about it, if you haven't ordered those already, I would strongly suggest finding the size of that neck and getting a new nut. The reason I say that is looking at the picture you posted, it looks like the screw for the locking nut got over tightened and may have seized, leading to the previous owner using a wrench or something to free the screws. Only way I can think of for that type of damage to get on those. Make real certain that on the nut the threads where those set screws go in is not damaged before ordering just the string clamps.
i haven't ordered them yet. The seller is on holiday annoyingly.

i've looked at the locking nut and everything seems to be in place fine. The screws are in place. The damage might have been done on the ibanez he took the nut off, but either way it all worked fine when i got it.

i'll keep that in mind though. i'd like to replace the locks then if it happens again i'll look at Replacing the nut, trial and error.
Make sure this is the problem though. First lock the nuts on your guitar. Then pluck a string, and press on that string behind the nut. If the string changes pitch, than your nut is slipping and that is the problem, if it doesn't than this isn't the problem. Make sure you do this to all the strings to see if any of the strings are slipping. If it's not the nut, than it could be dull knife edges on the bridge, or your bridge may not be set-up properly.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It looks to me as if you are putting the locks on upside down. They side with triangular peak is NOT the side that should be contacting the strings. That peak should be on the TOPSIDE and should run parallel with the strings.

Quote by webwarmiller
It looks to me as if you are putting the locks on upside down. They side with triangular peak is NOT the side that should be contacting the strings. That peak should be on the TOPSIDE and should run parallel with the strings.

Really? aha. i must try that!

Edit: You sir are an absolute genius. i have a gig tomorrow and when i do my Divebombs and Squels i shall think of you .
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 27, 2010,
I have almost done that too, but luckily I was watching a video and I saw how they put it on, so I just followed them. I wouldn't have thought that it makes a difference, because I thought the bottom of the locking nut was flat. Glad I know know now! Thanks
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Afroboy267

Edit: You sir are an absolute genius. i have a gig tomorrow and when i do my Divebombs and Squels i shall think of you .

Nah, just spotted what I saw was an obvious issue to my eye. What this post shows is the value in posting a picture of the problem. Without the picture, I nor anyone else would have guessed the lock nuts were on upside down. Pictures are always worth a 1000 words......
Quote by webwarmiller
Nah, just spotted what I saw was an obvious issue to my eye. What this post shows is the value in posting a picture of the problem. Without the picture, I nor anyone else would have guessed the lock nuts were on upside down. Pictures are always worth a 1000 words......

Still, it was bloody helpful though, saved me time and money.