So I'm a pretty poo guitarist , and after a while of searching I have found a decent Teacher. However I cant gage where i am on the ability spectrum, I am not intermediate but not a complete begginer and I dont know what to learn to help me.
I'm ok with music theory, I get it quite easily, the actual guitar playing however is pretty poor. could someone please help me make some kind of practice plan, how long should i spend practicing scales, learning songs and learning Theory each week and how do/Should i split that time up between each.

Thanks

Louis

and if I have posted this in the wrong place could you please move it , Thanks.
If you're looking to get as good as possible as fast as possible you'll probably want to work out some daily routine with all those things, and in that case you should disregard my advice but I was probably where you are now a few years ago, I found that what helps for me is to take some lessons, learn what I thought was important on my own as well self-paced and MOST IMPORTANTLY: try to play with other musicians.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
If you're looking to get as good as possible as fast as possible you'll probably want to work out some daily routine with all those things, and in that case you should disregard my advice but I was probably where you are now a few years ago, I found that what helps for me is to take some lessons, learn what I thought was important on my own as well self-paced and MOST IMPORTANTLY: try to play with other musicians.

Yeah the problem I have with Playing with others is that im crap and my mates are pretty awesome guitarits, so they mainly just rip me and laugh.
Well that sucks, but you could probably still learn from them. I to started playing with people who were better than me but it helped, honestly, I'd prefer it to playing with in a band where I'm the best player cuz it can get restrictive.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Well that sucks, but you could probably still learn from them. I to started playing with people who were better than me but it helped, honestly, I'd prefer it to playing with in a band where I'm the best player cuz it can get restrictive.

Could you possibly give an example of what a good daily routine consists of and how long it should be? how i should allocate time between learning songs, scales, theory etc?
Ask the guys at the Guitar Techniques forum...they will help you out in the technical side of the guitar. Most importantly have fun with the guitar man, I mean why else would you buy it for the joy of playing, showing off and getting fame :P
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by spanishyanez
Ask the guys at the Guitar Techniques forum...they will help you out in the technical side of the guitar. Most importantly have fun with the guitar man, I mean why else would you buy it for the joy of playing, showing off and getting fame :P

Will do dude, thanks. And i do enjoy it alot, it just seems to bug me that i get theory really easy but the practical side i pretty hard but hey, practice eh!
Quote by direavengerlord
Will do dude, thanks. And i do enjoy it alot, it just seems to bug me that i get theory really easy but the practical side i pretty hard but hey, practice eh!

Just focus on developing your fingers a bit first then go onto theory...or do both at the same time, a lot of people learn differently. Cheers and godspeed.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I am a beginner and I am currently taking my guitar lessons , because I want to learn it fast my tutor told me that if I want to learn and play the same like any other bands you need patience. Get along with guitar players and watch them closely, I believe this is effective.
Last edited by psylocke24 at Sep 3, 2010,
Quote by direavengerlord
So I'm a pretty poo guitarist , and after a while of searching I have found a decent Teacher. However I cant gage where i am on the ability spectrum, I am not intermediate but not a complete begginer and I dont know what to learn to help me.
I'm ok with music theory, I get it quite easily, the actual guitar playing however is pretty poor. could someone please help me make some kind of practice plan, how long should i spend practicing scales, learning songs and learning Theory each week and how do/Should i split that time up between each.

I have the same feeling with you before. It seems like I don't want to take lessons again I just want to be good at playing my guitar. I am actually taking this basic guitar lessons for beginners because I know learning is fun. All I can suggest to you is never stop practicing, remember practice makes perfect.
Last edited by poisonivy24 at Sep 3, 2010,
I used to play guitar too, I know how but the sound is not that good. My friends want me to join their band but as of now I can't because I don't want to embarrass them in front of audience and also I am not that good that's why I am here want to learn more. Actually I am a member of several guitar forums, just want to know some of the expert's ideas.

That's good, keep on practicing my friends also told me that.