I'm retubing my amp soon, it's a DSL401, but the nearest place I can find that will bias my amp is like £100 and you have to buy the tubes, so like £140, I can understand that if I had expensive tubes, they will last longer, but seeing as I'm using JJs, which are like £9, would it just be cheaper to buy them more often? And also, is the tone quality improved significantly? Or just a bit, cos I might just not bias it, but I need your opinions, btw I'll be using the same tubes as before, so I don't know if that would make any difference or not.
Cheers, Dave
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
You only need to bias if ur changing power tubes.....and it does make a difference in sound.
The amp needs to be biased.

Just buy the tools and do it yourself, it will be a lot cheaper and there's tons of tutorials online on how to do it. DSLs, at least the heads, have external bias points, so it shouldn't be that hard.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The amp needs to be biased.

What would happen if I didn't bias it?
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Quote by hardrockerdave9
What would happen if I didn't bias it?

Too low and it will sound flat
Too high and the plates will melt.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
attach two wires and read it/set it with a digital multimeter.
then move one of those wires to the opposite side and set it again.
watch it for like an hour and reset if it moves around.
thats it.
Does the amp have test points and an external bias pot hardrockerdave?

Also check on the Marshall Forums.

If not, then be very careful and consider an Amp Tech. Diving into an amp even when turned off 'can' be lethal, especially if you don't know what you are doing. You also need to have the amp on in order to bias it. There is a 'Worst Case' scenario in my Blog that might give you an idea of what needs to be done. Of course that is NOT with a DSL.

Good luck.