Are you more likely to get Tinnitus from higher or lower frequencies?

So, assuming all instruments were around the same volume and you were right in front of your fully cranked amp, which one would be more likely to give you Tinnitus, a guitar or a bass amp? Does it really matter?
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Not really sure... but there's some frequencies in Guitar effect pedals that really go through me and gives me bad ears for a few days, if I'm unlucky.
This will start a RIOT! in me
I don't think it really makes a difference, just be careful with both of them.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

I can't help but feel that if we say one or the other, you're going to go away and play the "safer" one at some ridiculous volume, get tinnitus, then try and sue the internet.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
lol no, I'm just curious, I believed that cause lower frequencies are more often felt than heard, then they would probably be less dangerous, but I wasn't sure
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Whenever something is damaging my hearing a get like a buzzing kind of tingle in my ear I take that as a sign that whatever the sound is it's to loud. If you're a construction worker than make sure to wear ear plugs, or if you work in any kind of shop. Those electrical saws really damage your hearing.

Here's a chart for hearing damage:
IPOD at 100%/chainsaw/rock and metal concerts - 15 minutes for hearing damage to start
IPOD at 90% pneumatic drill - 1 hour for hearing damage to start
IPOD at 80% subway - 2 hours for hearing damage to start
IPOD at 70% hair dryer - 12 hours for hearing damage start
IPOD at 60% Office/noisy restaurant - 24 for hearing damage to start

So really the things you should be doing to prevent hearing damage is to wear earplugs around loud equipment and at concerts. I don't suggest earplugs at concerts though, I was at a lamb of god concert and As I Lay Dying was opening. They started playing the sound of truth (I had earplugs in) and I could only hear the drums and bass the guitar could barely be heard, I promptly removed my earplugs realizing they were really taking away from the performance. The obviously one it to listen to your IPOD at an appropriate volume.
Quote by Morsbass1994
Whenever something is damaging my hearing a get like a buzzing kind of tingle in my ear I take that as a sign that whatever the sound is it's to loud. If you're a construction worker than make sure to wear ear plugs, or if you work in any kind of shop. Those electrical saws really damage your hearing.

Here's a chart for hearing damage:
IPOD at 100%/chainsaw/rock and metal concerts - 15 minutes for hearing damage to start
IPOD at 90% pneumatic drill - 1 hour for hearing damage to start
IPOD at 80% subway - 2 hours for hearing damage to start
IPOD at 70% hair dryer - 12 hours for hearing damage start
IPOD at 60% Office/noisy restaurant - 24 for hearing damage to start

So really the things you should be doing to prevent hearing damage is to wear earplugs around loud equipment and at concerts. I don't suggest earplugs at concerts though, I was at a lamb of god concert and As I Lay Dying was opening. They started playing the sound of truth (I had earplugs in) and I could only hear the drums and bass the guitar could barely be heard, I promptly removed my earplugs realizing they were really taking away from the performance. The obviously one it to listen to your IPOD at an appropriate volume.

You wore earplugs at a metal show *facepalm*
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Mostly cymbals I think.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Skullshredda

I have tinnitus. I have a loud ringing noise constantly in my ears. I haven't heard the sound of silence since I was 14. It's bearable, but it's got worse over the last year or so to the point that I can't own an MP3 player for the sake of my hearing ability. If someone wants to hear earplugs to prevent this from happening, then you're stupid as hell to mock them for it.
I share your problem Craigo. My MP4 is useless to me now and I always carry earplugs with me. Tinnitus and hearing loss isn't something to be laughed at, wearing ear plugs isn't a 'pussy' thing to do, it is a smart thing to do. Please take your macho attitude elsewhere Skullshredda.
Quote by Skullshredda

You don't?

Seriously kids, wear high fidelity ear plugs, it'll take the top 20 Db or so off of sound, but they take it off equally, everything is in proportion, just you won't end up thinking you can hear Dimebag's shitty tone for the rest of your life.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Morsbass1994

This. Sooo much this.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Holy shit did you hear that?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Lots of noise make tinnitus; turn down the volum or use ear protection.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I don't know the technical stuff about this, I do know that my ears physically hurt from listening to Pantera. Dimebag's tone is just unbearable to me.
Quote by Skullshredda

Haha, hope you like learning sign language.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Get the sort of earplugs you get at music stores, not necessarily the expensive costum-made ones, but the kind that reduces volum but doesn't cut the tone. I used them on a Maiden show lately and my ears didn't ring at all afterwards. And I have very sensitive ears.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!