Hey guys,

I purchased a brand new bogner uberschall a few weeks ago.. I heard this is the king of balls-to-the-wall high gain amps from multiple sources.

however, I just do not see what the fuss is all about - I feel like it sounds very "sterile" and worse yet I feel like I have to "force" the notes to come out smoothly when I play faster leads, despite it being high gain. when I use the high gain channel on my line 6 POD whilst practicing in my apt (its the only thing I can use when not at band practice space) it is a lot easier to sound "smooth" while playing faster leads. I feel like I have pick A LOT harder to get a smooth lead sound on the bogner (Almost to the point where I don't use it for fast leads because it sounds muddy when I record - I use an orange rockerverb 50 instead).

Now I am going to go out on a limb, be humble and say that I am doing it plain wrong when tweaking the amp and it has something to do with my setup or EQ settings.

I play it using a PRS custom 24:57/08 pickups through a marshall 1936 cab with GT 75s.

settings: master = 9:00, Dirty Channel Volume = 11:00, High = 1:00, Mid = 1:00, Bass = 11:30, Gain = 12 - 2:00.

Someone please enlighten me before I sell it on ebay!
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
I'll buy it for $900?

Okay seriously though, I haven't played the amp but from what I hear, it DOES take some dialing in and tweaking. I say sit down with it and just tweak the hell out of the EQ. You might make some big tonal changes by altering your master volume and channel volume combinations (high master/low channel, and vice versa, and everywhere in between).

Of course it might just be that you're not crazy about the amp's basic tone. Another thing I've seen a lot is that it's a love-hate sort of amp.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
You bought it without playing it?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I was extremely dissapointed with the Uber when I had one. It's flubby and loose on the gain channel, but I wouldn't say you can't get a smooth sound on it. Maybe your definition of smooth is different than mine, but picking harder on any amp is going to give you the opposite of "smooth."

The Uber's gain channel was only usable for me with an overdrive pedal. At that point, it was a great sounding amp, but a $2000 amp that needs a pedal to sound good, and without it, sounds like junk, is a complete turn off.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I was extremely dissapointed with the Uber when I had one. It's flubby and loose on the gain channel, but I wouldn't say you can't get a smooth sound on it. Maybe your definition of smooth is different than mine, but picking harder on any amp is going to give you the opposite of "smooth."

The Uber's gain channel was only usable for me with an overdrive pedal. At that point, it was a great sounding amp, but a $2000 amp that needs a pedal to sound good, and without it, sounds like junk, is a complete turn off.

Well that starts to explain things. I Did buy it on a whim, but only because the guy sold it to me for 1300 and I figure if I didn't like I could sell it for at least that much and probably more. I really have to dig in in order to bring out the lead sound. It is almost like trying to shred using an acoustic. What kind of overdrive pedal did you use?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Quote by psychosylocibin
Well that starts to explain things. I Did buy it on a whim, but only because the guy sold it to me for 1300 and I figure if I didn't like I could sell it for at least that much and probably more. I really have to dig in in order to bring out the lead sound. It is almost like trying to shred using an acoustic. What kind of overdrive pedal did you use?

Maxon OD-808

$1300 is a great deal either way, if you decide not to keep it, you could even make a little cash off that one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
try out an od through the front, and also just keep trying to dial it in it may take a while but will be worth it if you take the time im sure. if not you'llbe able to sell it off for a decent price with profit
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.