This might be a dumb question, but I noticed when I'm playing my fretting hand is usually vertically in line with the frets. I've been noticing that pros usually have their fingers on an angle. Here is an example:

Notice that all of them usually play with their fingers on an angle instead of going completely vertical like how I usually play. They do this on the lower frets too, not just the higher ones. Is there some kind of advantage to this, or is it just for comfort?

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Last edited by DemonicTurtle66 at Aug 27, 2010,
mine are normally straight,only slightly angled when doing more of a legato run down the neck.such as how paul gilbert is doing ther.trying to keep your hand straight and go down fast may cause more stress,i dont know,its mainly for comfort for me.
Your fingers should be straight for the most part, however, when performing techniques such as bends or vibrato, your fingers should become more angled. Don't try to base your technique on "the pros", they're often not doing things in the most efficient way, if you practise anything (within reason) enough, you can get good with it.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
i tend to angle my hand like that the majority of the time, depending on where my hand is on the neck..my hand tends to be more verticle on the low E string.
Last edited by UnseenBucket at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by Aleksi
Your fingers should be straight for the most part, however, when performing techniques such as bends or vibrato, your fingers should become more angled. Don't try to base your technique on "the pros", they're often not doing things in the most efficient way, if you practise anything (within reason) enough, you can get good with it.

I don't try to copy the pros, but it was something I couldn't help but notice. Thanks though.

WHERE IS MY PICK?