So I was recently going through some jam tracks, and some of them were titled with a specific scale, so that you use that scale to practice. I was hearing names of scales that I've heard before, but haven't learned. I've been playing for a year and a half and I know some good pentatonic licks, but when it comes to the harmonic minor scale (which I know well) I just can't voice it right. I can shift positions on the pentatonic but in harmonic I have to think about it, I assume I just need more practice. But, other than those two scales, which scales would you say are pretty good to solo in say, metallica, or steve vai style? And if you know any licks or links to them, I'd be more than happy to learn them ^^.
Steve Vai is about the dynamics, whammy, crazy effects, extreme accuracy.

He could make anything sound like "him".

"For the Love of God" is almost an entirely pentatonic melody AFAIK.
yeah but if your'e trying to play like vai he knows everything you should practice modes they will occupy you for quite some time.
check the actual Major scale. also Blues scale, Kirk Hammett uses pentatonic minor scale but if you add just another note you can get the blues scale, so learn that one.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by RasenShuriken
which modes do you recommend, to start?

None, if you really understood the major scale you'd know that scales don't make the sound, the real key to sounding like anyone at all is phrasing.

Try taking the pentatonic and really studying how to use it in a way that makes is sound like Vai, everyone in the world ever uses the minor pentatonic and the good ones make it sound like them easily enough.

To re-iterate: it's not the notes you use, it's how you use them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by RasenShuriken
which modes do you recommend, to start?

I don't recommend modes at all until you're really quite knowledgeable in music theory. They're very different from standard Western tonal music, believe it or not. Learn the basics of the major scale, chord construction and arrangement before you even think the word "modes" again.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I don't recommend modes at all until you're really quite knowledgeable in music theory. They're very different from standard Western tonal music, believe it or not. Learn the basics of the major scale, chord construction and arrangement before you even think the word "modes" again.

Yeah that seems about right, I know SOME music theory, more than my peers, but not that much. I know that a major scale is a 1, 3, and 5th, and a minor has a flat 3rd and some stuff here and there. In terms of theory, where should I go from here?
Quote by RasenShuriken
Yeah that seems about right, I know SOME music theory, more than my peers, but not that much. I know that a major scale is a 1, 3, and 5th, and a minor has a flat 3rd and some stuff here and there. In terms of theory, where should I go from here?

Those are major and minor chords, not scales.

I recommend reading through these columns. They're casually written and easy to understand. Music theory is a huge topic and highly open to interpretation, so take your time in learning it. If you're really struggling with a certain concept, the Musician Talk forum here on UG is the place to ask theory questions. There are also many other fantastic online resources such as musictheory.net. If you get really into it, The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine is extremely thorough and comprehensive.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by RasenShuriken

Firstly you should know that the 1,3,5 is a major triad not a major scale, and the b3 is a minor triad, again; not a scale.

Secondly, read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=crusade&search_type=columns

EDIT:

DAMN YOU DADDYTWOFOOT!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Firstly you should know that the 1,3,5 is a major triad not a major scale, and the b3 is a minor triad, again; not a scale.

Secondly, read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=crusade&search_type=columns

Haha! Beat you to it!
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
To re-iterate: it's not the notes you use, it's how you use them.

This might sound silly to you, but...

The part I quoted just blew my mind.

No sarcasm. You just caused me to have a HOLY #$!@ moment sitting here at my pc.

^.^
Quote by Rvn
This might sound silly to you, but...

The part I quoted just blew my mind.

No sarcasm. You just caused me to have a HOLY #$!@ moment sitting here at my pc.

^.^

Most people just don't get this at all, I'm not surprised.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Most people just don't get this at all, I'm not surprised.

I'm just glad I realized it(with your help :P) after only being back on the gitfiddle for a couple weeks instead of wasting months or even years.
You can't just say "Steve Vai" and expect an answer like "Major #5." Doesn't work that way. Work on understanding theory before you dive into modal playing.

Also, for all intents and purposes, chords are scales and scales are chords. The difference between the two is just voicing.