So I got my first guitar, a squier special strat and I play it everyday, am happy playing it, and am happy i got a guitar in the first place. Its not a bad guitar, but to be honest, its not the guitar I really wanted. I got the guitar because it came in an starter pack which made it affordable. My mom recommended it because it was the best deal for the beginner like me. Now dont get me wrong, I am thankful and paid for over half of the pack but the amp is a cheap SP-10, the tuner often uses the wrong letter, the guitar has an honestly sucky tremelo and fret buzz, and the strap falls off more often than not. Please forgive me if I sound(ed) like a brat but I am asking for a new amp for Christmas, and with my circumstances, when would be a good time to get a new guitar? I just want one a little bit more decent and leaning more towards my style. Please dont take any offense to this, thanks.
I've been playing for about 4-5 years, and I just got my first decent amp at the beginning of the summer. I'm not saying that you should wait a long time for new stuff, since it's different for everyone. I'd get a guitar before a new amp, personally. A new guitar can really make you want to play more and get better, whereas an amp is better for when you're going to start getting into bands and playing with other people/shows.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
I'd get a guitar before a new amp, personally.

There's really nothing wrong with Squier, especially for beginners. I'd get a new amp first, for sure. Most of your tone comes from your amp, so getting a new guitar won't make a crappy amp sound any better. But in the end, it's up to you, TS.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by smartalec007
I'd get a guitar before a new amp, personally.

I wouldn't, especially not with a starter pack amp. Try and upgrade to something like a Vox Valvetronix (I don't know who you listen to/play like) and leave the guitar until later. If the trem starts bothering you, you could always stick a piece of wood in the back to block it off (although read instructions on how to do this properly).

Don't feel ashamed to be upgrading so early, you do what you want with your money, especially if you know you're going to keep the practice up.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
I'd say go for the new guitar first. When you're starting out, it's not like you're going to be playing shows any time soon. Getting a better tone is almost irrelevant; when you're first learning how to play, it's best to play unplugged anyway (so you can more clearly hear any slight mistakes you're making, and also so you're not inflicting those mistakes on everyone else in the house). A new, better guitar can really make you want to practise more though, and it can help you learn faster if you can spend more itme worrying about your playing and less time worrying about the guitar falling out of tune every five minutes.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Everybody saying to get a new guitar over an amp is making a good point in that you will want to practise more. However, my reasoning for the new amp is that your tone will improve sevenfold (who wants to play when they sound shoddy?) and the Squier series can be really customisable. I'd invest some money in a new scratchplate and things like that just so that you like it enough to hang on a few months.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
I feel your pain, I got that same starter set! haha
In all honesty, with a proper set up, the squier is not horrific. But you are right, that trem should be taken out and shot, it's so bad. The fret buzz is fixable though.

However, I'm not sure about a new amp/new guitar for Christmas.
I went through the squier you have, then a PRS SE singlecut, then a Squier Tele Custom, and them moved onto my Washburn acoustic, all within a year and a half. (All bought with my own money, before anyone has a go...)
And only when I got my Washburn did I begin to improve noticeably.

I cannot stress enough the importance of a guitar that feels right. If it don't feel right, you'll get tired of playing it, and you won't improve.

That said, nothing will improve your sound faster than a new amp, and that may well get you stoked to play and learn more, now that you don't sound like a hive of angry bees as soon as you hit the OD button.

I'd recommend (when you have a budget) go down to your local shop, play a load of other guitars, and test a load of amps (with your squier) and then decide what you want more.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by MrFlibble
Getting a better tone is almost irrelevant; when you're first learning how to play, it's best to play unplugged anyway (so you can more clearly hear any slight mistakes you're making...

I disagree. You can't really hear all the string noises going on on an unamplified solid body electric. The amplification amplifies everything, including your mistakes. That said, amplifying on a heavily distorted channel WILL cover your mistakes. I say practice plugged-in on a clean setting.

Also, if you're playing through a muddy, crappy, starter pack amp, you're not going to hear your mistakes. Amp is much more important IMO.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Joeval
I'd recommend (when you have a budget) go down to your local shop, play a load of other guitars, and test a load of amps (with your squier) and then decide what you want more.

This.

It's no good listening to a load of us telling you what to do, you need to find out what you do and don't like for yourself. I didn't know a thing about guitars and amps until I started playing them in guitar shops, although I'll admit it's a bit embarrassing at first when you can only play a few shoddy licks and everybody looks at you.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I disagree. You can't really hear all the string noises going on on an unamplified solid body electric. The amplification amplifies everything, including your mistakes. That said, amplifying on a heavily distorted channel WILL cover your mistakes. I say practice plugged-in on a clean setting.

Also, if you're playing through a muddy, crappy, starter pack amp, you're not going to hear your mistakes. Amp is much more important IMO.

I'd say amp too, because if I don't have a good tone, it isn't fun to play. And, I have played some Squires before, and they aren't that bad. The neck actually felt pretty good to what I can remember.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Block the trem and learn how to set the guitar up. Some minor adjustments will do wonders. I don't want to say a new amp will be a waste, but it's not likely to produce any noticeable improvement until your playing is past the beginner stage. Your first guitar and amp certainly won't be your last.
Have you had your guitar setup? Do that first. Then get a new amp if you want. The Vox VT is a good amp but I don't know what type of music you play. I started on my nephew's cheep first act amp so I know where you're coming from.

^Although that's true. Your ear for tone will develop. I was satisfied with that cheep first act for probibly about a year. I did buy a new amp before guitar though.
Last edited by BlockFour at Aug 27, 2010,
I started playing guitar when I was 13 years old (11 years ago) and played for a day and quit, haha. I started up again a few months ago and got rid of my crappy beginner amp at first. I upgraded to a Vox Valvetronix VT30, sounds soooo much better.

I was looking at Craigslist in the musical section, there was a Vox Valvetronix 15 watt amp for $40, that would be a nice upgrade for a cheap price.
This doesn't exactly answer your question I guess, but it'll be more affordable if you buy used off craigslist or something
I recently upgraded. Went from a Squire Strat to my Ibanez RG.. Perhaps a big jump, but since upgrading I've been practicing a whole lot more. And, both me, and friends, and family have noticed an improvement in my playing. I'm quite satisfied with the upgrade, I must say. Paid £250 for it from eBay. Brand new, with bag at that. I've been playing three years now, I've trashed the strat, it's no good at all to me. Gave it to a friend to work on as a little project.

So, for me getting a new, and in my opinion better guitar really gave me the drive, and motivation to actually practice. And, sure enough. It's paid off.

I did upgrade my amp before anything though. I had a little, 10Watt practice amp, and now I have a 35Watt Orange Amp. It's loud. I can have it quiet enough for home practice, but loud enough for small gigs.
You sound like you have more problems with the guitar than the amp, I agree with the people saying look into a new guitar first. If you can't stand playing on the guitar you have you might just end up giving it up because of the physical issues.

If you do end up getting an amp first, might I recommend buying an audio interface for your computer instead? I play mainly though my computer because I don't gig (And I don't really have anyone else to jam with, so my amp is just kinda collecting dust.)

If you're in a similar predicament, you could buy the Line 6 GX for $100, it comes with amp modelling software for your computer and you can plug in your headphones without it sounding like crap. The tones you can get outta the Pod Farm modelling software are surprisingly well done.

AND it comes with recording software if you ever want to become a cover artist on youtube.
I'd also say new guitar first, although make sure you go and try loads out and get one that really suits you and feels good.

I say this from experience - I have a guitar that cost me £600 which sounds really great, but the neck is a really bad shape for my hands. So I never play it and am planning to sell it soon.

A new amp will probably help your tone more, but if playing your current guitar just makes you annoyed and frustrated I'd say replace that first. But think carefully before you do anything, otherwise you could end up wasting a load of money ... like me

EDIT: Okay, I re-read and saw you said that you're actually happy playing your Squire. Then you just need to think which will make you want to play guitar even more - a better sound from your amp or a nicer playing guitar?
Last edited by SugarRush66 at Aug 28, 2010,
K, seriously, i had experience with the Squier and i know where this guy is coming from. I would definetely get a new guitar. I had that guitar and after 6 months i didn't want to play anymore because that guitar is so boring. i don't know why but it gets unbearably boring. Wen i bought my Ibanez RG350DX i was playing like 6 hours a day. i would recommend you get a new guitar.
I've never played the Squier starter pack, but the Squier I play is great. So don't be afraid to try another Squier.
I would recommend getting a new guitar before a new amp. Just for the fact that you said the frets buzz, and the trem doesn't work to well. I would say to try, and go up to the Standard series, or Classic vibe. Every guitar I played from those were great especially the Classic vibe ones.
Maybe you should try going used, and looking in a pawn shop. If you go this route I would recommend bringing a more experienced guitarist with so you don't get screwed.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
In my opinion, you can get moderate tone with some of those little squier amps. Go for a guitar first, get a nice 300-400 doaller or so guitar, then get a $100 cube or vypyr with your own money.
Its easier to learn with a good guitar, even if your tone is suckish.
I guess ill be the black sheep here, and say you really dont need a new guitar. get yours set up properly. that alone can make your guitar feel totally different. i own a few squiers and believe me they DO need a good set up.
Since you've just started out, I assume that almost 100% of these oddities are coming from you, because playing guitar is still new and awkward to you.

Get better, don't buy anything.
Quote by SugarRush66

EDIT: Okay, I re-read and saw you said that you're actually happy playing your Squire. Then you just need to think which will make you want to play guitar even more - a better sound from your amp or a nicer playing guitar?

Thanks for the tips. Actually I am just happy with the squier because im tyring to make the best of actually having a guitar (It took months to convince my mom to let me buy a guitar) I actually wanted to buy an epiphone but when I went to all of the music stores, there were either none or they were higher end ones. My mother recommended me geting the pack because it was affordable, it had everything for a starter, and if I quit I wouldn't have wasted a bunch of money. She had a point I really do want both a new guitar and an amp but I dont want my mom to think (since she helped me pay for it) that I am not greatful, even though that has nothing to do with it. I dont know what to do but trust me, I would rather be playing a Les Paul (hypothetically)
Save your money, get a new rig when you actually begin to really develop your skills.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Well I'd say just start saving for a while and get both a guitar and amp, but get a LP first.

Also, make sure that you tell your mum that you really like the guitar she helped you get and that you just "need" ( ) the other guitar to get a good range of sounds. Then as long as she sees you playing both of them she'll know that no money was wasted
You dont need a gutiar atm really.

If the fret buzz etc. is bothering you look online for guides onto how to set a guitar up, its a good learning experiance and something youll have to learn to do as a guitarist. Check the guitar setup guide on this forum.

Look into getting a new amp for the time being, something like the vox valvetronix is ideal, lots of built in effects, models, not too expensive, get one off eBay if you have to. Itll help you decide on which sounds you like best, what to aspire towards, what effects interest you.

Keep the strat though, you'll get the single coil cravings back at some point. Trust me.
Thanks everybody, it looks like I know what is best. Though it would be a good thing to look into a new amp, I should wait until I'm into intermediate to get a new guitar. Are there any more opinions or recommondations from anyone, I enjoy reading everyone's tips, even if I dont agree (because yall are probably smarter than me)
Thanks
Get a guitar, invest it all for a guitar.

Here's my story on my purchase.
I first purchased a crappy, no brand, electric guitar that came with a 15-Watt crappy amp.
But at that time I thought these were so great, because I didn't know a lot about 'good' sounds.

The more I improved, the more I realized that my guitar was crappy.
And about a year after I purchased my first, I couldn't take it anymore, and purchased my 2nd guitar.

Anyway just play your squier, your squier is actually pretty good, compared to my first.
Improve a lot on it, because when you improve on a 'crappy' guitar, you'll most likely be a lot better on a 'good' guitar.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
New. Amp.

Your tone will improve by miles.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Everyone knows that :
Crappy guitar + good amp = good tone
Good guitar + crappy amp = horrible tone

I have nothing against the squiers, they're pretty good guitars as long as you treat them well and don't ride them a lot, with no excessive use of the trem.. I have one, and it's pretty good for someone who's starting and learning things about guitars and music
and I'm using it with a Marshall Valvestate: great sound ..

But that Squier Amp, the SP 10 .. Is just horrible ! How can you even keep playing guitar for more than 5 minuts ? If I were you, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the new amp, and I'd start saving for the new guitar
Some ideas for the amp : VOX VT15, Peavey Vypyr 15...

Later, you can try to sell the SP10 and maybe the Squier, and think about getting an Ibanez or an Agile or something ..
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.