This is my first post here. I was interested in learning to play guitar in 2004 and bought some equipment but ended up needing money and had to sell most of it. Im back again, still a complete newb and want a new guitar so I can get back to learning. I still have the first Ibanez RG370DX I bough in 2004 but I would like a new guitar with a fixed bridge.

I like both of these guitars but cant decide on which one to get. The RGA72QM is $100 more than the RGA42FM. I really like the red finish on the RGA42FM vs the gray finish on the RGA72QM. Which one is really better? BTW I am planning on installing some SD Blackouts in whichever guitar I get. I listed the differences in bold.

RGA72QM
Neck Material: 3pc Maple
Neck Type: Wizard II (set-in neck design)
Body: Mahogany body/ Quilted Maple top
Frets: Jumbo frets
Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
Inlay: Snake Fang inlay
Bridge: Gibraltar Standard bridge
NeckPU: LZ3-N
BridgePU: LZ3-B
HW Color: CK
Finishes: TGB

RGA42FM
Neck Material: 3pc Maple
Neck Type: Wizard II (bolt-in neck design)
Body: Mahogany body/ Flamed Maple top
Frets: Jumbo frets
Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
Inlay: Pearl dot inlay
Bridge: Gibraltar Standard bridge
NeckPU: LZ3-N
BridgePU: LZ3-B
HW Color: CK
Finishes: TGB, BBB, TRB
I would get the RGA42FM because the only two "major" difference between the two is that the RGA42FM has a bolt in neck (of which is easier to change if you damage) and that its a hundred bucks cheaper, so you could use that money to buy yourself something nice (other than the guitar)
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG355OXM
Fender Mexican Deluxe Series Stratocaster
Fender Squire Bullet
Schecter Damien Elite 8
Yamaha F325 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey 5150 II Full stack
Peavey 2001 Studio Pro 112
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Nexus_Black
I would get the RGA42FM because the only two "major" difference between the two is that the RGA42FM has a bolt in neck (of which is easier to change if you damage) and that its a hundred bucks cheaper, so you could use that money to buy yourself something nice (other than the guitar)

Thanks for the reply. I wasnt sure if a set in neck is technically "better" or not. Something I noticed with my RG370DX w/ bolt in neck even though its practically new is a tiny tiny crack near the neck pocket. I dont know how it got there, the guitar was barely even played. Its set in my closet in its box for 6 years.
Quote by Sloth88
Thanks for the reply. I wasnt sure if a set in neck is technically "better" or not. Something I noticed with my RG370DX w/ bolt in neck even though its practically new is a tiny tiny crack near the neck pocket. I dont know how it got there, the guitar was barely even played. Its set in my closet in its box for 6 years.

wait, you had/have a guitar just sitting in your closet. and for six years.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
wait, you had/have a guitar just sitting in your closet. and for six years.

Long story. Basically I needed some money really bad soon after buying my first guitar equipment and had to sell all but the guitar itself. I kept putting off buying another amp and eventually forgot about it all. I have some free time now and some money to spend so I want to get back into learning. I know it sounds lame but sometimes thats how my life works out lol.
Quote by Sloth88
Long story. Basically I needed some money really bad soon after buying my first guitar equipment and had to sell all but the guitar itself. I kept putting off buying another amp and eventually forgot about it all. I have some free time now and some money to spend so I want to get back into learning. I know it sounds lame but sometimes thats how my life works out lol.

Makes sense now.
As for the guitar, yeah, go for the RGA42FM. Looks like a good guitar, and you'll have extra cash.
Good luck bud.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
They're really the same guitar (besides the neck). The aesthetics are pretty much the only factor.
2 more guitars ive been looking at are the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 and the Schecter Damien Elite. The Hellraiser is $250 more but its looks very nice.

Some of the differences are listed in bold. Also, how does the EMG 81/89 compare to the EMG 81/85? Also... EMG vs Duncan Blackouts...? I was going to install the blackouts in the Ibanez after reading some reviews of the blackouts but if the EMG's are just as good, I might as well buy the Schecter with EMG's already installed. Plus the Schecter looks fantastic.

HELLRAISER
* Mahogany body (Black Cherry finish includes Quilted Maple Top)
* Set In, 3-piece mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard
* 24 X-jumbo frets
* 25-1/2" scale
* Ultra-Access cutaway
* EMG active 81TW/89 pickups
* Push/pull knob for single-coil on 81TW
* Volume/volume/tone controls
* 3-way pickup switch
* Schecter locking tuners
* Abalone binding on black cherry and white-finish guitars, gray pearl binding on black-finish guitars
* Gothic cross fretboard inlays
* TonePros Tune-o-matic-style bridge with thru-body design
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-C1-Electric-Guitar?sku=484197

DAMIEN
* Construction: Double-cutaway
* Back: Mahogany
* Top: Quilted maple
* Neck: Bolt-on maple neck
* Scale: 25-1/2"
* Fingerboard: Rosewood
* Frets: 24 extra-jumbo
* Nut: GraphTech tusq
* Inlays: Stained cross
* Bridge Pickup: Active EMG-81 humbucker
* Neck Pickup: Active EMG-85 humbucker

* Electronics: Vol /Tone/3-way switch
* Bridge: TonePros Tune-o-matic with thru-body string mounts
* Tuners: Grover
* Hardware: Black chrome
* Case: Sold separately
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Elite-Electric-Guitar?sku=584539&rec=product_sim_A
Having played both, I can confidently say that the 72 is not worth the extra money.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
" I was going to install the blackouts in the Ibanez after reading some reviews of the blackouts but if the EMG's are just as good, "

Mate, I haven't personally tried them yet, but from what I hear, Blackouts > EMG, althought it's mostly a matter of preference.
Quote by f0xy
" I was going to install the blackouts in the Ibanez after reading some reviews of the blackouts but if the EMG's are just as good, "

Mate, I haven't personally tried them yet, but from what I hear, Blackouts > EMG, althought it's mostly a matter of preference.

Perhaps the Schecter Blackjack ATX with the blackouts already installed is the better choice then. The only thing I dislike about the blackjack is the somewhat bland style of finish. It comes in aged flat black and aged flat white. I really like the red maple w/ pearl trim on the hellraiser. I guess some sacrifice is needed. Looks like the blackjack is more for me. After I compared the Ibanez to the schecter, im leaning towards schecter. They seem more appealing to me and are very decently priced for what you get. I guess the title of this thread should have been Ibanez vs Schecter haha.
Blackjack finishes are really hit or miss, IRL. The pictures are all boring, but the white can be really nice in person. Our store had three in and while one looked bland, the other two actually looked really nice. I'd say check them out.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?