i mainly play poppunk and i amgoing to guitar center later and i would like for you people to suggest a few basses for me to try out i knw p bass=punk bass and all but i want to try out a bunch of different kinds of sounds so give me a few basses worth trying
every single one that you have time to play. if that's not enough time to play them all go back again. if your lucky enough to have a wide selection of basses to try out then try them out or you could end up buying the wrong one.

e.g. got my schecter last christmas. i lurv it but a month later i played a crappy ibanez that felt incredibly nice (not as nice as my schecter though) but now i can't help think that maybe the more higher end one i wanted might have been better than my schecter O_o

Edit: also make sure to try out some Ibanez's :P
Last edited by the floor at Aug 27, 2010,
my guitar center has a HUGE selection of basses so if i were to plsy every single 1 it would take about 10 hours i would think but im looking for basses that excel at their particualr "style" i recenlt have been experement with metal and jazz (yea i know 2 totally different styles) and i want something that is amazing at wat it does idc at all about looks only tone
All im going to say is P-bass :P but look at Jazz Bass's or even Musicman (or copies and depending on cash that is).

But i say P or J a few examples of great pop punk player's who use them are Ian Grushkah (my personal hero as a bassist live) and Mike Dirnt. Another example of a Jazz Player is Joe Weiss from Four Year strong but i say they are a little more pop hardcore *shrugs*

But look at Jazz it might be what your looking for :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
i have a p bass already and i think j basses sound weak unless they r active i havent tried a musicman yet tho i'll give that a shot
This is a little bit like those "Wuts da best base 4 metal" questions (no offence)

Most basses are not designed for a particular style, and if they are, then they'd probably work for most types of music anyway (for instance, a particularly spiky bass might be intended for playing metal with but the actual sound would probably work great outside of metal).

If there's too many basses to try them all out then decide a budget, and look at basses within that budget... If there's still too many then just grab the ones you like the look of best

But if you want a bass that's reliable and will *definitely* work with punk, and don't want to 'waste' time looking at other basses, then a P or Jazz bass will do great

Also don't forget about getting a good amp if you don't have one!
hmmmm. mkay then i'd suggest instead of as many basses as you can play try as many different makes of bass? my general thought is that you shouldn't stick to just fender or any other company for that matter. sure you've heard that p basses are good for pop punk, but they still might not be what your looking for, but you won't unless you try more? ( now i'm confused...)

also for metal i would suggest ESP and schecter.

also are you looking for basses in a certain budget?
I'd say try out a jazz bass. I have a Geddy Lee Jazz bass (I'd say a jazz bass in general this is just the one I have) every other bass seems not as good. I'm not closed minded its just the neck the feel the tone is amazing, jazz basses are very versatile, with my Geddy I've gone through a punk phase a pop punk phase a classic/hard/progressive rock phase, I've played some jazz and now my main genre is all kinds of metal from thrash, death, technical, symphonic, progressive and metalcore to me its perfect. This is just my suggestion. They are really expensive now like almost 1000 bucks, I got mine when they were 700 or 800.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by idkputanamehere
i have a p bass already and i think j basses sound weak unless they r active i havent tried a musicman yet tho i'll give that a shot

sounds like you need to eq the Jazz a wee bit better :P

But the musicman is a deadly pick or an Ibanez ATK300 its ike the musicman but got its own feel to it and the bassist from the offspring uses one (cant remember his name but i remember seeing it on a video).
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Razgriz_101
sounds like you need to eq the Jazz a wee bit better :P

I'm surprised the Jazz needed EQing at all Must've been a dud (which is likely with a Fender MIM Standard or one of the cheaper Squiers)

+1 on Musicman Stingray recommendations

Also don't forget to try some Warwicks
Last edited by SuperMaximo93 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by SuperMaximo93
I'm surprised the Jazz needed EQing at all Must've been a dud (which is likely with a Fender MIM Standard or one of the cheaper Squiers)

it was an american standard i guess it must have been a dud
try a stingray. that would be perfect for what you want. and theres the g&l L-2000. its like the lovechild of a p and a stingray. its great
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by idkputanamehere
it was an american standard i guess it must have been a dud

Yeah, I tried one once and it seemed a bit flat and lifeless. Definitely try a few jazzes if you can (see if you can find a Classic 70s MIM reissue, they're awesome) as you may land on one that you really like Same goes for any bass really
just wondering has anyone tried out a jaguar bass? i read a thing about 1 and they seem to be different from any other bass i have heard of
try every single bass you can. that's the best advice I can give you. maybe a Deluxe P? (P neck, J bridge). When I play PP&E, I use my neck pup and EQ differently than I usually do.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Jaguar basses are good, the neck is a bit sticky though (you'll see what I mean if you try one)
Jaguar necks have an awkward feeling to them, they seem a little difficult to play. P+J basses are one of my favorites, very versatile, sound amazing, look pretty neat too. I've played many American Standards, most of the time you're playing the wall hangers that sound like poopy. I never buy wall hanger guitars, I always ask if they have one in the back. You should do the same. Jazz, Precision, Music Man, or a P+J bass will work perfectly, just gotta try them out. Warwicks work amazingly for any genre, but they're pricey as fudge.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Nolanrox
Jaguar necks have an awkward feeling to them, they seem a little difficult to play. P+J basses are one of my favorites, very versatile, sound amazing, look pretty neat too. I've played many American Standards, most of the time you're playing the wall hangers that sound like poopy. I never buy wall hanger guitars, I always ask if they have one in the back. You should do the same. Jazz, Precision, Music Man, or a P+J bass will work perfectly, just gotta try them out. Warwicks work amazingly for any genre, but they're pricey as fudge.

I disagree with this to the complete maximum. If I pick up a bass or guitar off the wall and play, and like it, and FALL in love with it, then THAT is the bass I want. I don't care what anyone says, every bass and guitar has different, character, feel and tone to some degree. You are completely firing blind if you ask for something from the back.
Last edited by GrStMyGn at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by GrStMyGn
I disagree with this to the complete maximum. If I pick up a bass or guitar off the wall and play, and like it, and FALL in love with it, then THAT is the bass I want. I don't care what anyone says, every bass and guitar has different, character, feel and tone to some degree. You are completely firing blind if you ask for something from the back.

i completel agree i would NEVER buy anything from the back room a recently played a prs mira x and the neck on it was cut just a little thinner than the other mira x's they had and it felt perfect. you have to look for those little things that make an instrument worth owning
Quote by idkputanamehere
i completel agree i would NEVER buy anything from the back room a recently played a prs mira x and the neck on it was cut just a little thinner than the other mira x's they had and it felt perfect. you have to look for those little things that make an instrument worth owning

...AAaaaand because I feel a tad harsh jumping in to your thread without contributing, the obvious choice seems a P-bass indeed, but any bass with that kind of solid punch will do the job really. The previously mentioned ATK seems like it would be a perfect tonal centre in pop-punk.

A bass I would personally suggest would be a Yamaha RBX, particularly the 374/375. It can easily provide a very guttural, prominent punch commonly found in Pop-punk, but still retains the versatility to lend its hand to (pretty much) anything else. I personally have a 374 and the thing is structurally and tonally perfect for the price, however you may find the neck a little difficult to get on with, I know it isn't to a lot of peoples tastes.
Quote by GrStMyGn

/facepalm
Most of the basses on the racks at guitar center are dinged up or something's a little messed up with them. So you ask for one in the back, they open up the box, you check to see if it's alright, test it out and there you go. I prefer my basses right out of the box. But that's just me. And like you said "I don't care what anyone says, every bass and guitar has different, character, feel and tone to some degree." I try to find the one that I find perfect. The one on the rack might not be that one.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
/facepalm
Most of the basses on the racks at guitar center are dinged up or something's a little messed up with them. So you ask for one in the back, they open up the box, you check to see if it's alright, test it out and there you go. I prefer my basses right out of the box. But that's just me. And like you said "I don't care what anyone says, every bass and guitar has different, character, feel and tone to some degree." I try to find the one that I find perfect. The one on the rack might not be that one.

Well what do you do If you DO love the one on the wall? Panic?

EDIT: Just for the record, the way my local guitar emporium works; the trying out of new guitars is supervised (its a small shop). I can garuntee there will be a maximum of three dings on wall models in that entire shop. When something IS damaged they put it in the back for sale season to come around and then they lower the price.
Last edited by GrStMyGn at Aug 28, 2010,
You know there's no point in trying to argue with me. I'm giving MY opinion. I like basses from the back, not the wall. That's just me. Opinions, opinions. I was at Guitar Center and I tried a bass and the input was missing. So after that incident, I'm not too stoked about wall basses. That's just me though.

"Well what do you do If you DO love the one on the wall? Panic?"
Really? I mean...really? Being an asshole will get you no where in life.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be an asshole, and I wasn't trying to argue, I was trying to instill a healthy debate about front-and-back models, and that comment wasn't meant to be derogatory, I was genuinely asking

Think about it this way, I got TWO HUNDRED english pounds knocked off a BB615 I was about to purchase because it was missing the aesthetic part of a knob. No technical quality had been lost, and this fix would have cost my a fiver at most. TWO HUNDRED POUNDS.
small shop != GUITAR CENTER. Rarely does a huge store have enough supervision to keep the floor/wall models in top shape. Just saying...
Now say his name.....
Um, so like... What amp are you using?
Also if you have no budget look at US Spectors, Alembic, Dingwall, MTD, Lakland US, Warwick, Shadowsky, etc.
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by lordofthefood1
small shop != GUITAR CENTER. Rarely does a huge store have enough supervision to keep the floor/wall models in top shape. Just saying...

I've been in several HEE-UUGE guitar shops in the southern England area and it has always been the policy to set up the display models every few days. And I'm not talking largish shops, I'm talking several stories. Anything that allows me to maybe get an easy discount at no devolution of quality is a plus in my book.
Line 6 Variax 700, loads of different sounds for about the same price as a MIM Precision.
Quote by GrStMyGn
I've been in several HEE-UUGE guitar shops in the southern England area and it has always been the policy to set up the display models every few days. And I'm not talking largish shops, I'm talking several stories. Anything that allows me to maybe get an easy discount at no devolution of quality is a plus in my book.

Even if they check their equipment every day, they won't catch everything. Also, setting up a model usually doesn't deal with something like electronic damage.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1

guitarguitar are pretty strict when it comes to the touchy touchy policy :P lucky i am within a 20min bus ride of Edinburgh GG and a 40min train ride from their bigger store in Glasgow :P

Tbh best guitar store ever :P
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Razgriz_101
guitarguitar are pretty strict when it comes to the touchy touchy policy :P lucky i am within a 20min bus ride of Edinburgh GG and a 40min train ride from their bigger store in Glasgow :P

Tbh best guitar store ever :P

Really?

I was at the Glasgow one, an Englishman in Glasgow, and I had my hands on many of their basses for several hours relatively unsupervised.

Then again, I was playing my two handed arrangement of "To Zanarkand" from Final Fantasy X, which one of the employees really enjoyed