Page 1 of 3
Just in the beginning stages. Body cut out and routed to shape, neck blank scarf glued up. I was going to get most of the work done on the neck today but i broke my bit i use for the truss rod channel. I'll pick another one up on the way to work later on this evening.

Details :
2 Piece African mahogany body

African mahogany neck, from exact same piece of wood as body. 25" scale, 22 fret, XJ frets (havnt decided what fretboard wood i'll use yet"

2 hums, Drilled for TOM bridge and stop tail piece.
Ken Lawrence headstock.

I usually finish these within 3 or 4 days... so keep an eye on this one if you dont want to miss anything. I dont have a fretboard yet, so it might be a bit delayed.

Beautiful! Although, mahogany for neck That could spawn some problems in the future.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
That grain has a very nice look to it. Maybe a clear finish? Stain? Anyway, looks very good! Can't wait to see it when its finished! You'll have to post some videos too.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Burgery
Beautiful! Although, mahogany for neck That could spawn some problems in the future.

Since when, EVER has mahogany caused problems??? Mahogany has been used forever as a neck material... never had any problems...

Thanks guys.
It will have a clear finish... I only use clear finishes on mahogany.
Quote by Burgery

?

Gibson uses mahogany for pretty much all their necks...

PRS uses mahogany for most of their set-neck guitars...

And lots of others...
Quote by the1967mustang
That grain has a very nice look to it. Maybe a clear finish? Stain? Anyway, looks very good! Can't wait to see it when its finished! You'll have to post some videos too.

yeah, i love the grain. Its from teh same board as BOTH the RR vs i made.

But actually, i dont plan on finishing this one. I'll most likely sell it without parts, like i do with 99% of my guitars i make.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
yeah, i love the grain. Its from teh same board as BOTH the RR vs i made.

But actually, i dont plan on finishing this one. I'll most likely sell it without parts, like i do with 99% of my guitars i make.

Just out of curiosity, and providing a) you don't mind saying, and b) you are allowed to say on here, but how much would you usually get for a finished neck/body without hardware?
Well, maple is rock hard, and it often gets warped and such. Mahogany is at least 1/2 softer
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by lostcreation333
Just out of curiosity, and providing a) you don't mind saying, and b) you are allowed to say on here, but how much would you usually get for a finished neck/body without hardware?

I like to know too, if you don't mind. You seem to know what your doing, and I wouldn't mind buying from you.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Burgery
Well, maple is rock hard, and it often gets warped and such. Mahogany is at least 1/2 softer

Well dude... You are looking at it WAY to black and white... Its not all about stiffness. Its about grain direction, dryness of wood, and other things... Its not just "mahogany is softer than maple, and maple SOMETIMES warps, so mahogany is not good enough" ... every piece is different. ALL wood *can* warp... there are just to many factors to say that mahogany is not a good wood for a neck. there are dead straight 50 year old mahogany necks...
Man, for the first time, ive been to busy to work on a guitar... Pretty crazy. I still need to do a few things before i get working on this again. I need to make a new work table too. But once i get that done, I should have the building part of this guitar done. Like i said, i usually finish them in 2 or 3 days.
Wenge fretboard, and mahog, as stated, is used in necks all the time. I love the KL headstock too.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Loving your wood choices.
♥ Wenge for the fretboard pleease!

Looking good already! One day i'll make myself a 7 string Explorer.... one day.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Last edited by N_J_B_B at Sep 3, 2010,
7 or 12. You know. Experiment a little
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Ah, so suggesting a venture into bass's wouldn't work either? The world needs some good explorer basses.
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Burgery

It has more to do with the wood's tensile strength. Mahogany is pretty damn strong wood. Why do you think they used it for boats?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What are you using for truss rods?

And I'm assuming you have templates of all the headstocks and body shapes that allows you to make them over and over?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I nominate Explorerbuilder for the "Best Lawn in GB&C Award."
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
I nominate Explorerbuilder for the "Best Lawn in GB&C Award."

Seconded.

That headstock is just... beautiful
-Ben

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
Ibanez Gio
Jasmine S35
Aria 12 String
this thread is really inspiring...great job man. one of the cleanest, best builds i have ever seen...how much will this cost you, completely?
Thanks!

Just the wood? or if i were to put parts on it?

Not very much. About 30$ for wood, 10 for truss rod, 5 for frets, and that's pretty much all thats in it.

I just glued the neck in. I must say, I am very disappointed in myself. I made a few of the side dots less that perfectly straight... I hate when that happens... makes me angry to no end.
Where'd you find mahogany for $30? My local lumberyard charges $15 per b/f and they wouldn't charge less for whatever I had planed/cut off.
so what might be the cost with hardware? (not pickups though)
i was thinking about doing this...im looking for a price range
Page 1 of 3