it looks like a cool instrument how hell does it work you just move you hand and it works? i saw it on it might get loud when jimmy page used it
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
theres two antennas on it.. one for volume, one for pitch.. and pretty much you just wave your hands over them
Yeah that's pretty much it lol. It's anything comes close to it, you ca use your feet too. Watch counselors of the by the raconteurs live from the basement, jack has one on top of his amp that he uses in the intro
they got a good article on wikipedia about them, explains it better than i could.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^thats about it. it uses some basic concepts of capacitance for proximity detecting. uses a 'beat oscillator' for the sound, beat oscillators use 2 different oscillators and takes the difference between them (that way you can get more consistent notes at lower frequencies)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
thnks so basicly you use to make any kind of noise that comes out of it
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
One of my friends played theremin (and keyboard/synth) in my instrumental jam band in high school. Fun times...
I have every intention of building one of these one day:
http://www.theremin.us/126/126.htm

That site in general is a good resource for information into what makes them tick. They are the oldest electronic instrument (even predating the electronic organ). They were priced out of the market by a greedy capitalist swine - namely RCA, who thought they should be worth as much as a car. Otherwise they would have become a commonplace instrument. People that are good at playing them are amazing. Search Youtube, some great players out there. Not everybody just uses them to make wierd noises like The Beach Boys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They were priced out of the market by a greedy capitalist swine - namely RCA, who thought they should be worth as much as a car.

Serves him right. Leon Theremin worked for the KGB developing eavesdropping equipment to spy on the U.S.A. and U.K. He was perhaps most famous for devising a bug that was secreted in the American Eagle seal in the U.S. embassy in Moscow.

Beyond politics, though, the Theremin is a very interesting device and it is good that Moog still offers one. I was surprised at just how f%cking loud the thing was through a 40-watt guitar combo amp with 1x12. With the volume set at about 4, you could literally hear it four blocks away (according to the police who showed up).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Serves him right. Leon Theremin worked for the KGB developing eavesdropping equipment to spy on the U.S.A. and U.K. He was perhaps most famous for devising a bug that was secreted in the American Eagle seal in the U.S. embassy in Moscow.

Do you feel the same way about people that designed spy gear for the US or is this just a racist, nationalistic thing you've got going on?

I want to build one with a 12AX7 output driver so it has it's own overdrive. The Moog ones are ok but a valve theremin is so tempting to make. I have to do it one day. How cool would it look on stage too?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by FatalGear41

Beyond politics, though, the Theremin is a very interesting device and it is good that Moog still offers one. I was surprised at just how f%cking loud the thing was through a 40-watt guitar combo amp with 1x12. With the volume set at about 4, you could literally hear it four blocks away (according to the police who showed up).

Flawed logic is flawed. Spying on a country that your country is at war with does not equate to deserving to fail. Leon Theremin was not involved in marketing his invention. He simply sold it to RCA.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx

Flawed logic is flawed. Spying on a country that your country is at war with does not equate to deserving to fail. Leon Theremin was not involved in marketing his invention. He simply sold it to RCA.

Exactly, the fault lies with RCA's greed, not Leon Theremin's politics.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx

Flawed logic is flawed. Spying on a country that your country is at war with does not equate to deserving to fail.

Wishing ill on someone who actively worked against your country and your people is not illogical. Rooting for people who actively work against your country and your people is most illogical.

As for the marketing failures, it had nothing to do with RCA's pricing. It failed because most people simply decided that the instrument served no useful purpose. It was (and is) too hard to accurately play it, and its rather limited range of sounds did not appeal to anyone back then except for Vladimir Lenin, who after witnessing a performance by Theremin thought it was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen. Theremin later confessed that he was afraid that if the performance went bad, Lenin would have had him killed. He was probably right.

The Theremin is a fascinating noisemaker and as I said, it is good that Moog still offers one. But the thing has been around for over eighty years and it hasn't caught on. You can't blame that on RCA.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
1. Wishing ill on someone who actively worked against your country and your people is not illogical. 2. Rooting for people who actively work against your country and your people is most illogical.

3. As for the marketing failures, it had nothing to do with RCA's pricing. It failed because most people simply decided that the instrument served no useful purpose. It was (and is) too hard to accurately play it, and its rather limited range of sounds did not appeal to anyone back then except for Vladimir Lenin, who after witnessing a performance by Theremin thought it was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen. Theremin later confessed that he was afraid that if the performance went bad, Lenin would have had him killed. He was probably right.

The Theremin is a fascinating noisemaker and as I said, it is good that Moog still offers one. But the thing has been around for over eighty years and it hasn't caught on. You can't blame that on RCA.

1. He did not actively work against the US. He was told to develop things and did. The use of these devices was up to those who purchased them. It is illogical to see Leon Theremin as the perpetrator of these acts, which are subjectively evil anyways. The US did the exact same things to the Soviet Union and to them the US was evil. Would you wish for Robert Oppenheimer to fail since his work in the development of the atomic bomb was used by his government to kill hundreds of thousands?

2. Where did I say that?

3. Quite a few people did find it captivating. It is hard to play for the novice just like any instrument. I believe more people would have attempted to master it were the pricing not ludicrous.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I see, so the fact that electronic organs were so much cheaper for so much more substance had nothing to do with the take up of the instrument? Compared to what you get in an organ the theremin was patently a rippoff. There was a time when it could have been huge but once the organ was released it slipped away into obscurity. RCA effectively robbed us all of a flavour of music by being the greedy SOBs that they are. Politics had nothing to do with it, it was greed, pure and simple.
It's not just a noise maker, as the below video demonstrates. It's not particularly hard to play either, that's just bollocks, it's certainly no harder to play than a violin. In fact the ease with which one can be played is one of it's attractions. Had it been sold for a fair price at inception it may very well have taken off. Instead it has become a curiosity from the past and left to fill a niche in the movie/TV industry - where it is used heaps. You are being blinded by your politics and making assumptions that can't be supported.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn4TgYkqdi8
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Do you feel the same way about people that designed spy gear for the US or is this just a racist, nationalistic thing you've got going on?

your painting people who hate red commie ruskie heathens as racist or nationalistic? well that doesn't leave much for my beliefs. i guess i am just a fascist , it's not my fault that God and Jesus blessed MY country with the correct set of morals in order that we may police the world.

it must suck to live in a country that isn't powerful/divine enough to project their world view on older societies. we have more people in california then you do in your whole country. ride your roo into the sunset with that 'social monarchy' talk 'mate', i live in a country where i can blindly hate on anything for any reason i and i like exercising it without regard for open minded debate in order to press my agenda.

god bless america

Quote by Cathbard
I want to build one with a 12AX7 output driver so it has it's own overdrive. The Moog ones are ok but a valve theremin is so tempting to make. I have to do it one day. How cool would it look on stage too?

thats sounds cool, is that possible? would the preamp just be tube and the oscillators still work the same? you could make it from a antique german bust of bethovan or something. that would be cool.

-ae
It's a damn theremin, dudes. Leave it be. But yeah Hi-Watt still makes a guitar pedal version modeled after a more traditional style theremin. Looks interesting, but I'd have to agree they're fairly pricey for what they are. I'd love to sit down and mess with one in a chain of effects but I don't think I could justify spending money on one.
ohh, if you wanna a theremin in a pedal form, the moog freq box can serve that function, it's pretty cool.

-ae

I can't see why I can't add a stage to the end of it. It's all valve, just a preamp that oscillates really. Another valve on the end wouldn't be here nor there. It's all made with 12AU7s. I have heaps of old 6V Russian Voshod 12AX7s (can't remember the actual designation but they are pretty much a 12AX7 with a 6V heater - no centre tap as in) which I reckon would work. I'd just have to adjust the circuit a little. Might make it a tricky in the oscillator section, dunno.
I bought them via ebay from Siberia actually. The Voshod factory was the one they built for the Voshod space program I think. Bloody commie bastards huh? It does seem poetic to me if I did use them for a Theremin.

I moon you from our elected monarchy. (wtf? everybody will be thinking, but you know)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 29, 2010,
moon me, how quaint. hold on, i might pull the cell phone from my ear while in my shopping center buying cheap plastic crap made in china on my credit card while wearing my american flag jump suit long enough to notice your brown eye from the 'biggest island continent on earth' (hey, we got a big ball of twine and the biggest hole in the world in the midwest).

-ae
Actually, word is that you actually have the deepest hole in the world over here. Well so some claim, but a lot of them do wear tinfoil hats. Supposedly The Pine Gap US military base in Central Australia has it. I dunno, I lost my tinfoil hat so the satchalltes have stolen my memories and implanted their own. People say all sorts of things about Pine Gap. Many would have us believe there's a mini city under it too. I dunno, they probably just make fake Osama Bin Laden videos there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification