Does pick size affect speed?

Like with a Jazz III pick you're able to gain speed faster than a bigger pick, or it's about practicing with the pick you feel more comfortable with?

In the beginning ( lol Bible quote), I used a Jazz III but I sweat a lot and the pick is small so it tends to slide from my finger.
Recently I tried using a Tortex or a Firestone which are bigger than the Jazz III, and I felt more comfortable.

Should I use these picks or should I try to practice more with the Jazz III?

Thanks for the help
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
Comfort's more important than anything. I usually use a .73 Tortex, and if it needs to be a little more rigid for tremolo picking or whatnot, I choke it off and it's just fine.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Why use a thinner pick that feels uncomfortable just because it's "built" for speed? Use the pick that works for you, and then learn to increase your playability with that. Don't conform your playing to predetermined gear. Any pick can play fast.

I use a 1mm Tortex Jazz III and im quite comfortable with them and i wouldnt get on as well with anything else, they give me the attack that i want and i like the ridgidity of it. It's also still grippy enough. Just buy lots of different shapes and sizes untill you find what you like.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Thank you for your help
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
i use 3 types:
Blues and fast jazz; red Jazz III's
Rock/metal/whatever: the green .80mm tortex dunlops, occasionally the pupple 2.0 mm ones.
jazz and pretty acoustic guitar shizz: timber tones wooden picks. they improve sound tenfold (imo). and theyre about 3mm thick

im very much into what is suited for each style: the jazz iii's help me play fast licks, but i wouldnt want to wear one down quickly by playing metal, whereas the rock ones i mentioned are good for that. the wooden ones sound great, but cant handle any shredding or they wear down.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 27, 2010,
I find that using a teardrop pick makes me more accurate during solo and improv, but they're miserable for playing hard-hitting riffs full of chords (traditional and power)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
All the cool kids play steel picks.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
.73 mm any pick of that size is de br00tlz
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
I pretty much just play super thin picks, because all picks medium to thick just don't feel right, and I hate the sound I get with them. I like the bright sound of a thin pick. Just my preference though.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
I pretty much just play super thin picks, because all picks medium to thick just don't feel right, and I hate the sound I get with them. I like the bright sound of a thin pick. Just my preference though.

i prefer thin picks for acoustic though

yep, good ol' thin acoustic picking
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
I use super thin picks (.40mm) for electric guitar because I like the fragile, jangly sound they make
1.14mm Dunlop Sharps. Because I like having accuracy. They wear down quick though. :/
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

i find the heavier the pick the faster but i pick really shitstorm hard. usually 3.0-4.0
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
If you find that the standard Jazz III is good in terms of thickness and shape but too small then seek out the jazz III XL, it's exactly the same as the jazz III in every way but size.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I use 1.14 Utlex sharps on my electrics and when I played acoustic I used Fender thins.
I tried one of those Jazz III picks once and it didn't do anything for me at all.
I was like "This is what everybody is always raving about? I don't get it."
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
2.0 mm Dunlop Big Stubbies. The are the faster pick I've every used when it comes to alternate picking.....not so good for strumming...
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I tried one of those Jazz III picks once and it didn't do anything for me at all.
I was like "This is what everybody is always raving about? I don't get it."

Same here. Then I tried a Dunlop .73 Nylon Standard.

I use Jazz III, I think that the more comfortable you are with your pick the faster you can play. I like the Jazz III's because I like that you have more control over the pick. Now whenever I play with the normal size picks I used to use (dunlop .88) it feels like to much pick, and I myself have a hard time to get a good grip, and be comfortable with it. So I stick to the Jazz III's now.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
try these Dunlop teardrop picks

They're like the regular tortex and the Jazz III combined. They're small but dont slip easily cuz of the material and sharper than a regular tortex but not as much as the Jazz III.

I love them.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Used Jazz III's for a long time then switched off to fender medium teardrop picks. I find they are more accurate and I like the tone better.
Dunlop stubbies for me, the big fat purple ones

Love them for picking and I get a nice strum out of them too. Not a fan of the 1mm blue tortex ones, they are alright but the stubbies are the shit
You might like the Jazz III XL version, i've been using the small Jazz picks for a long time. But i've been liking the XL version alot because of the larger surface.
I use the jazz 3 ultex and tortexs and I love them to death.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Depends on the tuning. I use .96's in Drop D, but I need 1.14's for Drop C. Acoustic I'll use whatever, and bass I use the 3mm Big Stubbies.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

i dont know what for lead, didnt experiment enough but for rythm i use the medium light(green) dunlop gel
Use the picks that feels best in your fingers, try different thickness and materials until you find the one that gives you the feel and tone you are looking for.

I've used Dunlops .96mm for a long time but a couple of weeks ago i bought an Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature pick just for fun and fell in love with it. 1mm, really pointy and size between normal Dunlops and Jazz III.
Good question. I think that if you initially use a pick that is a different size than what you are accustomed to using, then this will throw your playing off. Like going from big to small will mean that you will start dropping the pick. BUT eventually when you get accustomed to the pick size, then you will become comfortable and your speed will naturally improve.

ron666
i just use those green tortex ones. i think they are .73 mm, or they could be 1mm i forgot.

unfortunately all the ones i can find the markings are rubbed off of em.
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.