I just picked up a Peavey Raptor and two straps for twenty bucks. I mainly wanted the straps, but I was wondering whether or not the Raptor would be worth modding and swapping out the pickups, if not I could easily resell it and get my money back out of it.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Well experience would be nice, but I mainly mean would it be worth it as far as making it a good sounding guitar. I know that swapping the pickups won't magically make it sound amazing because i'm not sure if the wood the guitar is made out of is actually decent. If i do something with it i'd like to make it into a guitar that i'd keep. My uncle has a car garage so I could paint it, but I'm more worried about how it would sound if I would invest money into it.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Somehow i'd doubt you'd get the money back from it, but its always fun to repaint it.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I'm not looking to resell it after I mod it. I should have worded it differently I guess. I meant that I could resell the guitar now and make my money back, but I was wondering if I could turn it into a nice sounding guitar if I decided to mod it.
Yes you could. List of things to do:
1) New pickups (obvious)
2) New electronics (you can choose pot values of your choice and it's good experience)
3) Sheild control cavity (stops hum, obvious)
4) Paint (creativity/ teh lulz)
5) Change hardware (will help tuning stability and sustain)
6) New nut (better tuning stability and sustain)
7) Refret (choose what size frets you want, good experience, make neck better)
8) Wiring mods ( It's an SSS so you could have a series/parrallel switch, have a bridge switch so you can go bridge/neck, you can go out of phase, etc.)
I have never played one, so I don't know for sure. But, I looked at the specs and price, and there probably isn't much of a guitar there. If you play it and like it, then ya you should mod it. make sure the neck is good for one, then you could replace the hardware. If anything, it would be good experience.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I have a peavey raptor plus EXP (plus=humbucker exp=korea) It is a solid guitar, its made with real wood of some kind, 3 piece body, is NOT pool routed. its my first guitar and I've never had any problems with it. I will probaly change the pickups eventually but other than that i love it, and its better than anything else I've seen in this price range.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
I have a peavey raptor plus EXP (plus=humbucker exp=korea) It is a solid guitar, its made with real wood of some kind, 3 piece body, is NOT pool routed. its my first guitar and I've never had any problems with it. I will probaly change the pickups eventually but other than that i love it, and its better than anything else I've seen in this price range.

Thats what matters, if you like the guitar, and it plays good in general, then modify and keep it. Not all cheap guitars are bad, just a lot of them are.

How close in quality are Raptors to Squires? I have played some squires that played pretty good, and was well worth modding.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Friend of mine's brother has an old Raptor. Hardware blows but the neck is nice and it would be decent with some new guts.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
turn it into an electric violin.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by salgala2000

you laugh, i've done it.

unless that's the reason you laugh, in that case, allow me to join!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson