Here's the equipment...

Marshall valvestate 8200 200 watt head (has 4 loudspeaker outs on the back 2 left and 2 right and says 100watts per channel at 4 ohms)

Two 120watt crate 8ohm cabs

and speaker cable of course

The way i understand it is that if hook the cabs to the head (cab to head and cab to head) it will become a 4 ohm stack and push the full 200 watts of the head without hurting something. Is this right? I just want to get things straight before I go hooking things up.

Thanks!
Nope, don't do that. They're 4 ohm outputs and the cabs are rated for 8 ohms.

There IS a way that you can do this, I'm not 100% though, so wait for some more replies.

Do the cabinets have outputs by chance?

P.S. that's a super overkill/unnecessary setup haha.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
^^ If the cabs are able to be plugged in to each other for daisy chaining, he can do that to achieve 4 ohms.

8/2 = 4
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
alright, lets get some things straight

first off, evidently this is a stereo amp. if you have dedicated sides like left and right then these sides should be independent of one another. hooking a 8 ohm cab to one side (left) and a 8 ohm cab on the other side (right) will NOT yield a 4 ohm loan because these speakers won't be wired together. [edit: sorry bubbs, i reread this and this sounds super confrontational, didn't mean it that way, just trying to clarify]

now, if you have one amp with multiple speaker outs, then running (2) 8 ohms cabs in parallel WILL yield a 4 ohm total impedance. but a stereo amp is like having 2 separate amps.

next, the valvestates are solid state (SS). this usually means that the power amplifier of the amp is designed to work with impedance bridging (instead of the impedance matching, that tube amps use) to match speaker loads. so a SS amp expects a MINiMUM load instead of a matched load. for example a SS amp might want a minimum of 4 ohm load, running a higher impedance will lower the output of the head, but it will not damage anything unless you run less than the rated impedance (so don't run a 2 ohm load or it could overwork the head).

edit: so yes TS, you should be fine running your amp that way. it may produce a little less power, but make sure you run a cab to each stereo side (L/R, instead of the on both speaker outs on one side)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 27, 2010,
^ Being confrontational is perfectly acceptable so long as you know what you're talking about.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
yes, but it can be counter productive when trying to share the info. you can be completely right, come off as a prick, and no one will listen to ya.

if i am gonna write that much i want someone to listen.

-ae
Thank you gumbilicious! It finally makes some sense to me, I guess I'll only be getting around 160watts out of the head but its better than being screwed with an extra cab.

Thanks to everyone else who replied aswell!
Quote by racefan56
Thank you gumbilicious! It finally makes some sense to me, I guess I'll only be getting around 160watts out of the head but its better than being screwed with an extra cab.

Thanks to everyone else who replied aswell!

np. i kinda cringe at the amp though, the first amp i bought with my own money was a Marshall VS15 (practice 15 watt valvestate amp with small speaker). i really thought i was getting something special, instead it was a devastating lesson in learning how to properly spend your dollars (at least my old mexi tele worked out, i still got the tele). playing that VS15 for 2 years before i graduated HS (in '98) was liking ash in my mouth, not necessarily the bad tone as much as the waste of money.

no intention of really downing the amp, but the marshall valvestate has a very special place in my heart. and for all the bad things people can say about the marshall valvestate series, it taught me a cold hard lesson in wise spending that has been very helpful with with my GAS (the VS hurt, but my digitech RP20 taught me a much different lesson that was just as memorable).

-ae
^ I had a similar experience. My first amp was a Fender Cyber Deluxe.

God, was I ever stupid.

^^I actually saved up my own money to buy... wait for it... a Line 6 Spider 100 watt 2x12 combo.

Which I then sold to buy my Bugera

EDIT: What did you learn from your RP20?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
^^I actually saved up my own money to buy... wait for it... a Line 6 Spider 100 watt 2x12 combo.

that big do-it-all systems don't really do anything overly well. that digital multi-effects weren't where they needed to be yet. that dedicated digital pedals did their effects better (like the their whammy wah was better at whammies and wahs than their flagship model cuz the whammy wah didn't share processor time with other effects).

i learned you have to be careful how you use compressors, limiters, and noise gates or you can really over process your signal. i found that cabinet emulators and tube emulators work ok, but are no replacement for a real cab (but have a purpose).

i learned just cuz something has a tube in it doesn't mean it has 'classic tube distortion'. i learned that i like my effects parameters available without going through a GUI. i learned digitech used cheap switching components.

i learned just cuz something does everything doesn't mean it does it well. i learned just cuz you bought top of the line, expense stuff doesn't mean you get the sound you want.

-ae
Quote by FrustratedRocka

We've got one of those. Damn thing irritates me to no end. Was yours the redface one? Did you ever have problems using it without the foot switch?