Hey guys, new around here.
I recently sold my Marshall MG15DFX (or I will, hopefully) in the hopes of getting a Jet City JCA2112RC (the 20 watt combo). I haven't played it yet, but I will this weekend.

I have an Ibanez RG7321, and I require variety. My style goes from classic rock to jazz to death/prog metal to -core and punk, all over the place. Basically, I need a decent clean tone but I also want to get some br00tz out of my amp. I've heard the JCA clean and I know it can get heavy, even without a pedal.

My main question is this:
Is the JCA2112RC with an overdrive/distortion pedal runnin' in front a good, cheap setup that can achieve a decent variety of tones?

If yes, well, what pedal? I'd love an EHX Metal Muff, and I'm kind of set on getting that.

But, besides the JCA combo, what's a good alternative? $300-$500 is my range. I'm definitely willing to go used and the cheaper, the better.

And I need to know by this weekend, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Honestly, i think that with the versatility you want, you should look into an amp with more than one channel.
Quote by Mack56
Honestly, i think that with the versatility you want, you should look into an amp with more than one channel.

I was thinking of that, but I'm extremely strapped on cash, and I don't have more coming in any time soon. I guess the JCA combo is just the holy grail for me right now.

Recommendations are welcome though.
Last edited by IDoBackflips at Aug 27, 2010,
Jet City clips on Youtube sound really good. I'm getting one of these soon, but what's up with the name?
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
Quote by Marrowoflife
Jet City clips on Youtube sound really good. I'm getting one of these soon, but what's up with the name?

Jet City Amplification is headquartered just outside of Seattle, WA. The city's association with the Boeing Aerospace company is legendary. That's probably where the name "Jet City" comes from.

The Jet City amps are becoming very popular. You will probably like them. If they get any more popular, look for the prices to rise considerably. That happened with Blackstar amplifiers.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
How does the combo take pedals? I've heard Jet City is great for running pedals through, but I'd like to know what kind/brand, if anyone has experience with that.

Also, can a distortion pedal be used to kind of turn the amp into a two-channel? What I mean is, keep the amp settings clean, but when I want distortion, I just turn on the pedal. That'd work, right?

Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm still largely ignorant when it comes to amps -> pedals.
Last edited by IDoBackflips at Aug 27, 2010,
If your diggin the jet City tone, go with it.
If your main objective is versatility at a low price, Maybe a Bugera 333XL. 3 channels, and good cleans. A LITTLE out of your price range, but not WAY out of range.
You MIGHT be able to find a used Genz Benz El Diablo in your price range as well. Those are quite versatile, and very under rated.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune