I've got a couple of programs I want to record from, just to hear myself playing and listen for mistakes and I was thinking of using the line out on my ENGL Screamer. However, I have no idea what cable I need. The line out on the Screamer looks to be similar to an XLR cable and is a balanced line out - what do I need to hook it up to my M Audio Fast Track Pro, or would it simply be easier to get a mic and mic the amp?

If the latter, what would a decent, cheap mic be - I don't need brilliant quality, I'm not planning on producing this, so the usual SM57 suggestion is a little pricey (at the moment).

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I used to use the headphone jack from my multieffect and later my mixer directly into my audio interface and came up with some pretty solid results that were much better than my expectations.
Anyone? Whilst the above would work, it wasn't really what I was asking.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
If it's an XLR, shouldn't you be able to connect that up? I'm pretty sure my Fast Track has an XLR input but I haven't taken a look at it in ages. As for the mic, a friend of mine uses a Rock Band mic. If you don't really care about the quality that should be easy and cheap enough.
The Fast Track Pro has XLR inputs, you can hook it straight to that, although it probably wont sound that great (line outs rarely do, unless you use cab sims), miking the cab will sound a lot better. Make sure you keep a cab connected to it at all times though!
Ah, hadn't thought of the Guitar Hero mic idea. Works surprisingly well, although lags badly when recording. Might have to save for something nicer in the near future and use the interface, should speed things up a touch.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai