i know Brian uses Vox AC30s, but i would just like to know if there was a way to get his sound on a Marshall Plexi. any ideas?
Why?

Do you have a Mshall plexi

Are you buying one?

Can you buy me one?

There might be some pedals that would help you out. I love his tone but I'm a noob when it comes to his gear. Run a Vox AC30 into teh Marshall and get some of his sig wahs/pedals.
What kind of plexi? If you mean a JTM 45, I'd just EQ it with a bass cut and run a treble booster like a Rangemaster in front.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Run a Vox AC30 into teh Marshall and get some of his sig wahs/pedals.

wat
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by bubb_tubbs
What kind of plexi? If you mean a JTM 45, I'd just EQ it with a bass cut and run a treble booster like a Rangemaster in front.

i have a Marshall 1959HW. and theres a bright switch on my Hot Plate
Not going to even remotely sound the same.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Not going to even remotely sound the same.

i see. thanks anyway, though
Well, you could always start with one of these:

http://www.digitech.com/Classic/BrianMay.php

Other than that, get a treble booster and swap out your speakers for Celestion Golds. They have the classic Celestion Blue tone but handle a lot more power. They're not cheap, either. That should get you pretty close.

Of course, you'll need a Red Special or at least something with three Burns Tri-Sonic pickups:

http://www.burnsguitars.com/brianmaytrisonicpickups.php
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ Modern Alnicos are pretty similar to Greenbacks, IMO. The magnet quality is too high compared to how it was in the 50s/60s.

well, i don't have that much money to afford any of this :\ i was kinda hoping to work with what i have
Honestly dude, just play it on the Super Lead. Nobody is going to care that you don't sound 100% like Brian May.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Honestly dude, just play it on the Super Lead. Nobody is going to care that you don't sound 100% like Brian May.

i know. i just like the sound and i wanted to see if i could achieve something close
You could always play the Super Lead through the Normal II channel set fairly clean and run an AC30-ish pedal through it.

I don't think that'd run you more than a hundred bucks or so if you go used.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
You could always play the Super Lead through the Normal II channel set fairly clean and run an AC30-ish pedal through it.

I don't think that'd run you more than a hundred bucks or so if you go used.

thanks. do you know what EQ settings i should use for the amp and pedal?
Like I said, keep the bass down on the Super Lead - the EL84 tubes in the Vox have a very characteristically mushy low end and the 1959 is extremely huge and tight in comparison.

Presence might have to be a little low as well, but keep the treble up. Mids up full.

No idea what pedal you should use, but a simple search should find you a bunch of results.

Good luck!

The Wampler Cranked AC is pretty nice. Might want to look into that. I don't recall any other AC30-ish pedals.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
The Wampler Cranked AC is pretty nice. Might want to look into that. I don't recall any other AC30-ish pedals.

thanks for the tip
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Sguit
Running that into an amp sounds crap, just saying...

Not when you use it in the Return on the FX loop.

...aaaaand it just dawned on me that Plexis probably don't have an FX loop. Well poo.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
^ The 59HW does, which is one of many reasons I will never buy one.

^ Been linked already, bro.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

The SLPX has one. The HW doesn't. It just uses those mediocre parts Marshall are so famous for.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ One less reason then.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

oh crap that is funniez

I may not have given the recent HW marshalls a fair shake but they were not a fav of mine ....especially for the money.

PS: I don't hate Marshall I just wish they would listen and innovate again like they used too
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

oh crap that is funniez

I may not have given the recent HW marshalls a fair shake but they were not a fav of mine ....especially for the money.

PS: I don't hate Marshall I just wish they would listen and innovate again like they used too

Agreed. If the 1959HW were under $2k it'd be a pretty decent amp for the price. But as it stands you can get a Germino, Metropolous, Blockhead, etc. for several hundred less than it goes for new. WTF is that shit? Those all use custom/mil spec/NOS parts and the Marshall is using run of the mill stuff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ Exactly. It makes no sense to me.

Not to get too off topic but I think the Marshall/McDonald's analogy is a good one.

McDonad's became famous because they were able to take a turn of century idea about production and put it everywhere on a larger scale so everyone could enjoy (Mnfc makes more money too). So you can get a Cheeseburger and Fries just about everywhere and the product is 'generally' consistent from one store to another.

Marshall tried to do the same by converting a 1 amp a week model to a 200 a week model pretty quickly in the 1970's. [311 guestimate ]

amplification tube availability was not consistent back then. Builders had to adjust. This is not just Marshall obviously. There are tons of other examples. Today things are much more 'canned'

OK. I've lost track of what this thread was all about.

*reads OP again*

yeah, OK. Small budget. So look into some of the pedals mentioned and let me ask you this please. What % of time do you want May/Vox tones and what % of time do you want XVY/Marhsall plexi tones?

Maybe the current run HR (hand wired) Plexi's have the EQ response necessary to pull off Vox tones but that was not my experience. Trade amps if you need to. There is no shame there. Ever.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 28, 2010,
IMHO, a red special guitar going into any boosted + cranked tube amp will be closer to the Brian May sound than owning Brian's exact stage rig but plugging another style guitar into it.

Example A: Red special into the BM Digitechhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7Z72NNFyY

Example B: He plays a strat through the treble boosted ac30 setup at 3:08. Really not Brian may sounding at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHbFmp6BcM
Last edited by Ruff Stuff at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Ruff Stuff
IMHO, a red special guitar going into any boosted + cranked tube amp will be closer to the Brian May sound than owning Brian's exact stage rig but plugging another style guitar into it.

Example A: Red special into the BM Digitech into a Marshal I believe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7Z72NNFyY

Example B: He plays a strat through the treble boosted ac30 setup at 3:08. Really not Brian may sounding at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHbFmp6BcM

OK.

Here is my opinion FWIIW

(I did not listen to the second clip)

First Clip you posted - that sounded like Brian May on a Marshall amp. Sorry.

No Vox Honk bitch

otherwise, I get your point. I think there are ways to get passable stuff all the time :Cheers:
Don't get me wrong I. I'm an Ac30 guy. Im running a Flying V into a BM Treble booster and then into an Ac30. It sounds pretty ****ing awsome but its a good ways away from Dr. May.

I'm just saying after all the experimenting I've done I think his guitar is a bigger building block to his tone is all.

If you like the qualities of his tone like smooth long sustain and rich full chords thats the way he runs his amp. If you want the sound of his guitar (dark p90ish sound) you probably want a red special.
Do you consider Brian's tone wet?

I do. I know it should and can sound dry but his tone is really like no other. I love Plexi's and all but I would need way more convincing if I were to buy a HW Marshall to do Queen covers.

just sayin'

*runs to Queen Greatest Hits tracks*
Compressor, flanger, treble booster. You'll need a compressor to get you nearer that super compressed el84 tone.
It won't be spot on, but it'll sound awesome.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Well, he is brian may, there's a part of his tone you can't really achieve because it's him playing. apart from that, there are a couple of AC30 pedals, but i never really liked them (lovepedal englishman, and i believe there was another...)

also, ya need some SCs, what guitar do you have? didn't read all the posts carefully so i might have missed it.
Clean Channel + Red Special Pedal = Win

Well, partial win, you really need a BM model AC30, an 18th Century Fireplace, a celebration memorial sixpence and 3 matchboxes to nail it.

You also need a sensational mullet and a PhD in Astrophysics.
Last edited by Dan_5893 at Aug 28, 2010,
Pretty sure it's not a mullet if the front is the same length as the back...