Hi guys,

I have a Ibanez GRG170DX and I still have the strings that the guitar came with. I tried another Ibanez (forgot the model) but this one had thicker strings and the sound was so much heavier. One thing I noticed was if I palm muted on the other Ibanez, you could really hear the "chugging" sound that happens with palm muting. But if I palm mute on my GRG170DX, you can barely hear it.

So really, I just want a heavier tone but I'm not getting that currently with my guitar. Is it because I need thicker strings? I don't know exactly how thick the strings are but they were probably half the size compared to the other Ibanez I tried. Is getting new strings the answer? Or are there other factors in play here too, like pick ups?

If it is the strings, can anyone suggest strings that would work well with my guitar?

Thanks.
Amp?

If you want, move up to .010"-.046" or if you want .011"-.048/49/50"
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It Colud be the strings but It could also be the tuning, my suggestion is to get either .10's or .11's and consider tuning your guitar down a whole step.
Did you play the both guitars on same amp, same settings? I'm pretting sure you can get a chugging sound with higher tunings, just need pretty good gain. But I don't know for sure, because I don't play metal very often. Down tuning would help though.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Amp amp amp.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Turn your friggin gain down. I know that makes no sense, but it works.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
well with bigger strings they move in a tighter fashion than lighter strings in the same tuning, but the movement whilst being muted causes the 'chug'. so if it moves less the sound is heavier but the chug is less. its a trade off mate.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
The amp I am using is a Marshall MG15CDR. Unfortunately, I don't remember the other amp I used, but it did look like a much older amp and had much fewer options. Only contained bass/contour/treble/volume/gain off and on.

I turn the gain only halfway on the Marshall amp...doesn't sound any better when I lower it anymore. The other amp only had an on/off for the gain. Also, I did set the knobs to the same settings.

I could tune my guitar to a lower setting, but I would have to figure out all the fingering again in another tuning which would be a little inconvenient.
Its because you have a god awful amp. Get a new amp, and thicker strings.
bass up, mid down all the way, treb up all the way, gain...OVER 9000!!!!!!

thats how i get a chug with 9s XD

oh and tuning to Eb helps too
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
Quote by dylman06
bass up, mid down all the way, treb up all the way, gain...OVER 9000!!!!!!

thats how i get a chug with 9s XD

oh and tuning to Eb helps too

No. Scooping mids does not equal metal.

Keep your mids at like 6 or 7, Bass at like 6, treble however you want it. And use thicker strings, that definitely helps, and you could drop tune if you like.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Quote by mailbox2112
No. Scooping mids does not equal metal.

Keep your mids at like 6 or 7, Bass at like 6, treble however you want it. And use thicker strings, that definitely helps, and you could drop tune if you like.

I never scoop the mids, because I don't like the sound. But IMO, when you turn down the mids, you seem to get a better chugging sound. That my opinion anyways.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I second new amp here. The marshall MG's maybe adequate for new players but seriously, it's a marketing tool. Some of the cheap ten watt amps from the Wall mart starter packs sound better than an MG, what I'd do is I'd save up a little the MG will do for now and buy a better amp once you've had experiences with other amps and gear so you know what tone you want.

Worked for me.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I can only agree with what's just been said. Your amp is probably about 80-90% of your tone and a Marshall MG is awful compared to most other amps. Just because the other amp didn't have as many options on it doesn't mean it was a bad amp. Distortion, such as it is, on a Vox AC30 is either on or off but it's still one of the best amps ever made. Compared to changing the amp, changing the strings will have virtually no difference at all. You need a good amp first, then you go for a better guitar and then finally you can start messing around with pedals, strings and pickups. Personally, I found that changing string gauge had less difference than anything else I've tried.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Buy a line 6 spider
Get a BC rich
Scoop out the mids
Max out the gain knob
Boost it with an MT-2

There you go, instant m3tuls
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
Buy a line 6 spider
Get a BC rich
Scoop out the mids
Max out the gain knob
Boost it with an MT-2

Quoted and stamped with an implied accusation of conspiring with guitar center employees.
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Last edited by jgleason82 at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by adj209
Buy a line 6 spider
Get a BC rich
Scoop out the mids
Max out the gain knob
Boost it with an MT-2

you better be joking or i will have to kill you.

i dont use the knobs on my amp. i use a 20 band eq.

boost the bass side lower the mids keep the treble non affected and have any frequences below the guitars lowest note cut by 3 decibles (based on boost of the highest point in the bass end of the eq. ex: 40hz @6db boost means 25hz has a 3db boost. etc).
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.