Hi, I've been doing heaps of research lately and I've found that for the more popular brands (Taylor, Martin) have prices that vary a lot from list prices. I've always dreamed of owning a D15 with a budget of around $1000 but thats out of the picture now because I live in Australia where its RRP is $1999 and the cheapest deal locally was $1400 (If I bought from U.S., shipping and duty would cost over $300 )

However, I've found an alternative and that is the Guild GAD-25.

I've emailed around a couple stores near my area and they say the list price is $999 (around US$899). This is consistent with the list price in official catalogue for once lol. (usually guitars in australia cost a lot more than listed prices from my research).

One store says they are having a sale tommorow and that they will sell for $799 (US$718). Does this sound like a decent price for this guitar? (Musicians friend and zZounds sell for (US$600). Could I ask for lower?

Thanks!
it's always worth asking for lower. what's the worst that can happen? they'll still sell it to you for $799 if they say no. btw, the stores you called - they told you list, but did they tell you what they usually sell it for?

i love the GAD-25, btw. playing a used one at gc is what got me interested in guild GAD guitars, and i've played several since that still sounded great. i prefer the sound of it to the martin, and since i also prefer a gloss finish, that was also a big plus, as is the included hard case.

good luck on getting them down on price, and hope you love the guitar enough to post a NGD thread
Quote by patticake
it's always worth asking for lower. what's the worst that can happen? they'll still sell it to you for $799 if they say no. btw, the stores you called - they told you list, but did they tell you what they usually sell it for?

i love the GAD-25, btw. playing a used one at gc is what got me interested in guild GAD guitars, and i've played several since that still sounded great. i prefer the sound of it to the martin, and since i also prefer a gloss finish, that was also a big plus, as is the included hard case.

good luck on getting them down on price, and hope you love the guitar enough to post a NGD thread

Thanks patticake. What I meant is that that the stores sell at the listed U.S. price. This particular shop is offering me 200 off because of a sale they'll be having.

http://www.iconmusic.com.au/

I'm just wondering if its worth asking for further reductions haha, but yep, i've got nothing to lose so I'll email them and see what I can get I guess I'm just looking to opinions as to whether or not people will buy a GAD-25 for US$720, because I know that in America people get them for a tad under $600 and to them it's great value. Does an extra $120 turn a great deal into a not so great deal?
Well unfortunately, from what I've heard, guitars will typically be around 20% more expensive down under than they will be in the states (given that they're a US based company.) However, you have it lucky, because Maton and Cole Clark guitars are FAR less in Australia than they are in the US (I think.)
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Well unfortunately, from what I've heard, guitars will typically be around 20% more expensive down under than they will be in the states (given that they're a US based company.) However, you have it lucky, because Maton and Cole Clark guitars are FAR less in Australia than they are in the US (I think.)

Yep thats true but unfortunately for me, I'm not a fan of either of those brands. Maton especially makes good guitars but they seem overpriced to me. For example the 325 is around $1100 here and sounds decent but has laminate back and sides. I'm pretty sure for that kind of money I could get a better quality American guitar.
guitars often cost more in au, so you can't really compare to u.s. prices. here we're spoiled rotten. honestly if you can pay $200 less than the going price for an all solid guitar you really like, seems like you're ahead of the game.
Quote by patticake
guitars often cost more in au, so you can't really compare to u.s. prices. here we're spoiled rotten. honestly if you can pay $200 less than the going price for an all solid guitar you really like, seems like you're ahead of the game.

Well original price is AU$999 and they are offering AU$799. That's US$718. I guess I'd be 'ahead of the game' in Australia but I'll still be behind the U.S. haha! I've asked to see if they can drop it to AU$700.

Very ambitious I know, but I've been reading up on a lot of guitar bartering theads and I thought I'd give it a go :/