I am a newbie to guitar playing and im looking for an amp. Im going to play mostly metal/rock type music. I would like to stay in the $400-$700 range. My current guitar is an Ibanez RG370DX but im ordering a new schecter blackjack with SD blackouts. This is mostly for in home use. A combo amp seems more logical but im here for opinions. There are so many amps and reviews out there I was overwhelmed! Onboard effects are nice but I will end up running separate effect pedals. I know this type of question probably gets asked 1000 times a day here so I appologize. As I said, I am a newb Thanks.
Blackheart makes some nice smallish tube combos in the $300-500 range. You might need a distortion pedal to push them into the territory you're really looking for though. The 15W model is big enough to jam with (in a band or whatever) but might be a little underpowered without a PA (depends on the band/drummer).

Marshall has the new MA-series, which is interesting anyway. Never tried them, but I'd recommend trying them.

If you're not opposed to grabbing distortion pedals an AC15 will give you mad tone... You can push those well into metal territory with pedals and still have blistering clarity. It also has excellent cleans if the volume isn't crazy or you 'roll off' your volume knob on the guitar. Peavey Classic 30, though not really the tone you're looking for on it's own, will similarly serve you well with pedals and is flexible enough to go from clean to scream (they're also known to be incredibly reliable and easy to repair on the rare occasion they break down).

If you really want that "chunka chunka" sound for metal you have go for a 4x12, but there's honestly nothing in your price range really worth considering (that's that big) AND it would be complete overkill at home or even with a band if they didn't have a good isolated rehearsal space (socially speaking) and a decent PA for any vocalists involved...

Assuming you're not opposed to pedals (and it doesn't sound like you are, though maybe you're hoping to put them off til later), then I'd recommend a 1x12 tube combo. The Vox AC15 or Peavey Classic 30 are both prime examples.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Aug 27, 2010,
Dude, you're a newbie and you're already dropping that much cash on gear? Damn rich kids...

Just kidding.

What types of Metal do you want to play? Death, Black, 80's?
post a little more info on budget and genres and you will get some rec's. Saying hard rock/metal is a little too generic.
Guitars
Amps
^^ 400 - 700 is expensive? Seems pretty normal for a guitar.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Nope, not a rich kid lol I work for everything I own. As for music, I like the stlye of Slipknot, Metallica, Muddavne, Pantera, etc I guess your common stlye of metal/rock. Like I said on the budget, I would like to stay under $700 for the amp.

What about a peavey vypyr 100watt amp? Are those decent?
Don't be hating on newbies that can afford good stuff, when I first started and people knew I was serious about learning I heard the same advice over and over: "buy the best you can afford"

I would concur with the previous advice that a used 6505 would be a good idea, although for a beginner, a Peavey Vypyr 60w or the all tube version could be a good buy as A) it'll sound very good and B) give you a wide range of different tones, voicings, effects and other do-honkies that you as a beginner might find helpful to really get to know what kind of gear you may want to buy in the future.

Ive owed a Peavey Vypyr and can say that are fantastic amps.
Quote by Wesbanez
Don't be hating on newbies that can afford good stuff, when I first started and people knew I was serious about learning I heard the same advice over and over: "buy the best you can afford"

*checks sig*

yeeeaahhh I think that must be my motto

hmm, I'd grab a 6505+ used as well, but be warned if you want clean tones look elsewhere - try maybe a Bugera 333XL.
Go for a 6505+ 112 OP, they can be had for $600 brand new. It will last you a very long time, possibly the rest of your guitar playing career.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ok so if I go with a 6505+112 combo that is 60watts I believe, will it be loud enough vs a 100watt amp? Im not looking for ear shattering but I do like loud lol Also, whats a good distortion pedal for this amp? There are so many I would like to narrow it down to something thats worth the time and money.
Quote by Sloth88
Ok so if I go with a 6505+112 combo that is 60watts I believe, will it be loud enough vs a 100watt amp? Im not looking for ear shattering but I do like loud lol Also, whats a good distortion pedal for this amp? There are so many I would like to narrow it down to something thats worth the time and money.

The 6505+ gets LOUD, loud enough for you not to worry about how it stands up to other amps. Also, you're most likely not going to want a distortion pedal with this amp, it has more than enough gain. You may want to get a decent OD or an EQ pedal to tighten it up, though.
One question about these amps. I noticed they say tube amps. After reading a bit, how expensive are these tubes to replace and how often do you replace them? Maybe a solid state amp is better for me? Im leaning towards the 6505 112 combo depending on the tube issues.
Quote by Sloth88
One question about these amps. I noticed they say tube amps. After reading a bit, how expensive are these tubes to replace and how often do you replace them? Maybe a solid state amp is better for me? Im leaning towards the 6505 112 combo depending on the tube issues.

You'll need to replace the tubes every year or two (depending on how often you play), but they don't cost much.
Starting with the vyper: I love peavey with all my heart, but the vyper kills their name. If you want modelling, go line 6. I will agree with the 6505+. Maybe a valveking. All personal preference though.
i would stay away from the valveking for your needs. A used 6505 would do you well, alternatively look at the new jet city amps.
Guitars
Amps
Ok im back again with questions After reading TONS of reviews on the 6505 112 combo amp alot of people say its way loud. I read that when played on a low vol. that it sounds like shit. I dont want it to be loud all the time, 90% of the time I need it to be moderately quiet for at home use. Dont get me wrong, I love loud but im not trying to wake the dead.

Im having second thoughts about tube amps all together. From what I hear they are the best for metal. I do want to play mostly metal but the occasional clean sound is something im interested in. Basically I need to restate my needs. I need something thats versatile and suitable for at home use. Same price range, 0-$700 area. Im thinking maybe a solid state amp would be better...?

In 2 weeks im heading to guitar center to pick out my stuff while im on vacation from work. Also, im not getting the schecter with the blacouts. Ive decided I would like the LTD ec-1000 better. Everything of couse is subject to more decisions and inspection when I actually get to try the gear at the store. I really appreciate all the help so far, its a life saver to a newb like me. Thanks alot