I'm officially giving up trying to get a new amp (college tuition+no scholarship= ) but I've come to realize that a nice distortion pedal should be able to fill the tonal holes in my rig so here's what I want suggestions for:

Sounds/Tones: low gain overdrive to mid gain distortion, I really like older rock sounds like the EVH brown sound, should respond well to dynamics/the volume control on my guitar(ie. 2 & 10 shouldn't sound the same)

Price: $200 is the absolute max

New, used, otherwise: new, unless there is something awesome I can only afford used

Current rig: Strat(b/m/n: Super Distortion, stock, Tone Zone) -> 7 band EQ -> BYOC Octave Fuzz -> Randall RG75

If I've forgotten something just ask.
So far from what I've looked at, though expensive I'm liking the the Wampler Pinnacle but I want to know what other options are out there before I buy something so any suggestions, comments, cheap shots, lame jokes...
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 27, 2010,
Rothwell Hellbender is pretty awesome, it sells for just over $200 I believe
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by DylanHendrix

Thats a dick comment.

And also, BBE Green Screamers are nice, Boss Super Overdrive, Ibanez Tube Screamer
It really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. That being said, the Big Muff, Fuzzface, and Tube Screamer are a few of my favs.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by DylanHendrix

ProGuitarShop has it for $200 exactly & the clips sound pretty good

Quote by Minderbinder
It really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. That being said, the Big Muff, Fuzzface, and Tube Screamer are a few of my favs.

80's rock distortion like Van Halen. I've got fuzz covered and though I like tube screamers they're not quite what I'm looking for.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Quote by Dio10101
Thats a dick comment.

And also, BBE Green Screamers are nice, Boss Super Overdrive, Ibanez Tube Screamer

How is that a dick comment?
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by Dio10101
Thats a dick comment.

You really are UG's biggest idiot.

Also take a look at the other Wampler pedals voiced like a Marshall. Then there's the Catalinbread DLS which is awesome. And the ZVexter Box of Rock.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by FatalGear41
Blackstar's HT-Blackfire has received some great reviews. It is new, so it may be hard to find:

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htblackfire.html

Their HT-DISTX pedal is also very good:

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdistx.html

Those are higher gain than what I'm looking for, more low to mid gain, but did remind me about the HT-Dist which sounds good and I like all the tweakable knobs.

Quote by mmolteratx
Also take a look at the other Wampler pedals voiced like a Marshall. Then there's the Catalinbread DLS which is awesome. And the ZVexter Box of Rock.

I looked at all of Wampler's distortion pedals and liked the Pinnacle the best. I've herd good things about the Catalinabread and Zvexter so I'll definitely check those out.
You already have a fuzz... Don't you know what an overdrive does when you place it directly after a fuzz in the signal chain? It smoothes it out, compresses, and gives you a mad-thick distortion.

But I don't know that it's all that "80s" sounding... Still, I'd recommend at least trying it. I use a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver after a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, and it works incredibly well, but it's actually a higher gain tone than EVH brown... Similar but a bit more compressed, less 'open' sounding, and a tad muddier.

Otherwise I'd recommend trying:

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
Way Huge Fat Sandwhich
MXR Distortion III

Personally i think the Fat Sandwhich is probably your best bet on it's own (PRO GUITAR SHOP DEMO - FAT SANDWICH); as far as in combination with your current fuzz, it's difficult to know. Best of luck!
Last edited by RadioMuse at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by RadioMuse
You already have a fuzz... Don't you know what an overdrive does when you place it directly after a fuzz in the signal chain? It smoothes it out, compresses, and gives you a mad-thick distortion.

Yeah, I've done that with an old cheap od pedal I used to have before it crapped out on me and I got some awesome sounds from it. I might get a cheap od like a TS7 or something eventually to do that with.

The Fat Sandwich sounded rather harsh in that demo.
you're not going to get the brown sound from a single pedal, but for my 02 i like the mxr808 od.
Guitars
Amps