Another string thread, lol

I'll try keep this brief, I've really come to love elixirs and I use 9s on a lot of my guitars cause I like them being flexible for bends and stuff. However I got a new guitar (an ESP M100 FM) which is currently set up in standard but I'm going to use for Drop C. Now my question is do you reckon I should go with the 10s for elixirs, or get some heavier strings for a lower tuning like that?

Thanks heaps.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Make your own set!

I use Ernie Not Even Slinkys for drop tunings (but I normally use a .60 for the low E) but those strings should be fine. (or the Elixir equivalent)
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

for drop C a minimum would be 10s with a heavy bottom end (ex: Zakk Wylde set) or a heavy 11 set. (ex: D'Addario, Thomastik, LaBella, Mapes)
13s or 12s if you want uniform tension instead of a light top

the C string at a minimum needs to be 56 or 54 (based on 24.75 or 25.5 scale)

(for 25.5)
average tension for 56

loose

tight 58

xtra-tight 60-62

anything more than that you best be hoping you have SRV fingers.

imo i used 64 for drop C#-C but i have everything xtremely tight.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Aug 27, 2010,
I use 13-56 on my 25.5" scale Ibanez, and had to have it setup for Drop C.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I use Ernie Ball 11 gauge for drop C#, so I would guess 12's would work for you. Although I have achieved drop C in 11's, it wasn't the greatest. I would, however recommend Ernie Balls.
In drop C I prefer to use D'addario's 11-56 set. Nice and tight on the bottom and loose enough on top for bends, they are on my Hellraiser and it has a 25.5" scale.
11s
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
I use .011 - .049 for anything down to about C standard. It starts getting floppy past there.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
D'addario Light Top Heavy Bottom would be my choice. And if I was really desperate, Ernie Ball Power Slinkys.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
At least 11s. Are you gonna play exclusively in Drop C? If you are, do a heavier bottom E string.
I'm a huge fan of Ernie Ball strings, I'd go with .11-.54's myself. I use GHS strings for my VMNT (guess which ones :P), and recently tried out Boomers. They sound nice and feel great, but they haven't held their tone for as long, which is fairly disappointing.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Thanks for all the input guys. Elixirs only come in 2 gauges, 9s and 10s, as far as I know, just cause some of you seemed to be suggesting to get 11s or heavy bottoms with them, I don't think they exist lol.

I might go with the elixir 10s, or I might get some light/heavy like 10 - 52 and still keep it fairly loose, though I'd probably go D'Addario, I've gotta be honest I've never really liked Ernie Ball strings, I don't know what it is but I just don't click with them.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
10-52 DR DDT
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by VVolverin3
Thanks for all the input guys. Elixirs only come in 2 gauges, 9s and 10s, as far as I know, just cause some of you seemed to be suggesting to get 11s or heavy bottoms with them, I don't think they exist lol.

I might go with the elixir 10s, or I might get some light/heavy like 10 - 52 and still keep it fairly loose, though I'd probably go D'Addario, I've gotta be honest I've never really liked Ernie Ball strings, I don't know what it is but I just don't click with them.

Go to another store or a different online retailer... Elixir has a full range..

Super Light .009 .011 .016 .024w.032w.042w
Custom Light.009 .011.016.026w.036w.046w
Light .010 .013.017.026w.036w.046w
Light-Heavy .010 .013.017.032w.042w.052w
Medium .011 .014.018.028w.038w.049w
Heavy .012 .016.024w.032w.042w.052w
Touche, that's awesome. The only store that I know that has elixirs has only ever had 9s and 10s. Thanks heaps for that dude.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
If you're used to .09s in E Standard tuning, go to a set of .10s with a slightly heavier 6th string (.50 or .52) and see how you get on with that first. There is no point jumping all the way up to extra heavy-bottom .11s right away, you might find the .10s with a heavier 6th string is all you need. Far too many people, especially those that down-tune, are obsessed with using the thickest strings possible. There's no real need for it, especially if you are used to and like the feel of light strings. Start out going just a little bit heavier, and keep stepping up slowly until you hit the gauge that suits you best, and don't go any further.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
10 - 52 was pretty much what I was intending.

Thanks all, I'll track down some elixirs, or if that doesn't work then probably get some D'Addarios.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀