I'm making solo stuff but I'm wondering what is the most appropriate thing to do.
Should you separate your different styles into different projects/names?
for me, i separate them into different projects if I have several songs that fit together, but I don't make a new project for like one or two songs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
That is really up to you, and how different each style is. Obviously a surf rock song will be out of place on an album next to a black metal song. If the styles are more similiar, say a punk song and a surf rock song they probably will work in the same project.

What range of genres does your solo music cover?
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

I've often thought about what to do in this situation. You can really do what you'd like, if you keep all your different styled songs together people will think you very interesting and diverse, but it'll be difficult to a keep a steady fanbase because only a few of your songs will appease certain people.
Quote by rgrockr
I know someone who died doing this thing where he tied a belt around his neck really tight and masturbated while wearing a Batman costume, and it makes your orgasms super awesome.
Quote by ICOG
That is really up to you, and how different each style is. Obviously a surf rock song will be out of place on an album next to a black metal song. If the styles are more similiar, say a punk song and a surf rock song they probably will work in the same project.

What range of genres does your solo music cover?

I'm working on some old school Melodic Death Metal, like the 90's sounding stuff, or at least my attempt at it.
But then I love a lot of mellow rock stuff like the Smashing Pumpkins and I don't think making that type of music fits in with Melodic Death Metal at all really.
I think it would be appropriate to split them up into different projects because people are going to get confused and think I'm making metalcore or some shit.
Last edited by Clay-man at Aug 27, 2010,
There's two schools of thought on this, one is that you should aim for an established audience. If you want to play for death metal fans, play nothing but death metal.

But interestingly, the most successful musicians in the world have generaly been so successful because they varied the style of their songs.

Look at the Beatles for instance. They did ballads, folk, rock, rock 'n' roll, psychadelic, pop, ect, and this works because the wider the range of music you do as a band, the wider the the audience base is for you to draw a crowd from. In other words, more people will like you.
Quote by Clay-man
I'm working on some old school Melodic Death Metal, like the 90's sounding stuff, or at least my attempt at it.
But then I love a lot of mellow rock stuff like the Smashing Pumpkins and I don't think making that type of music fits in with Melodic Death Metal at all really.
I think it would be appropriate to split them up into different projects because people are going to get confused and think I'm making metalcore or some shit.

If you really cant decide go for one project, and write some songs that could act as "the missing link" between your songs. This way it's simply your dynamic style.
I think it really depends on what your goals are. It seems to me you're writing music for fun, and that building a fan base is secondary. I feel like I'm in a similar situation to you, I've thought about this issue a little bit, and the way I decided to deal with it was to work on different albums simultaneously and group like with like.

Also, awesome username and avatar by the way. As a fellow Gothenburg Metal fan I can appreciate them.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
It's all about your attitude. If I was in your spot, I wouldn't feel too weird incorporating that type of a contrast, since melding different genres within songs isn't that crazy of an idea.

Who knows, perhaps with the right placement on your release, it could be a really well-placed and welcome side to your music that people might really enjoy. It also might depend on how many songs you do in the varied style, if you wish to maintain your heaviness.

Also, if it's your own thing, do what you want. You like those songs and want to do them, no one else can tell you that you can't or shouldn't. And finally, who has ever said "this band is too different/ all over the place" and ever been right/ had good taste?
Quote by Clay-man

Well, if they're that drastically different then personally I would separate them.

However
Quote by pandora_grunt
If you really cant decide go for one project, and write some songs that could act as "the missing link" between your songs. This way it's simply your dynamic style.
makes sense too.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

If you get the same people playing the same songs, the combined sound of you guys will result in all songs sounding similar, if not the same to eachother, regardless of the genre that you hope the song is in. As noted above, The Beatles trudged through a vast amount of genres, but you can still identify a Beatles song immediately - it sounds like The Beatles.

However, if you want a truely different sound with some of these songs, create a separate band with different band members.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well you know how many bands change their style a lot because you know they have different tastes. If you split them into different projects you can assure the people what they're getting. If a project is a extreme metal project, you'll get metal, if it's a rock n roll project they'll get rock. It makes for less disappointment.

CKY did this. Before they were a technical metal band but then they decided to make rock with the same people + 1 other person in the band with a new name.
Last edited by Clay-man at Aug 29, 2010,