I am new to UG forums and this is my first post, I am trying to mod my electric guitar to have LED lights "glow" behind the pickups. to do this I need to remove my middle pickup to accommodate space for the switch and wiring for the LED lights. Anyway my question is whether I could just snip the connectors from my single coil middle pickups going into al the pots and capacitors. Would this just mean that when I switch to the middle pickup on the selector switch (strat style) (5 way) it would just not make anynoise like a killswitch?
or would it mess up the rest of my guitar wiring and pickups?.

can not post pics but if people reply I can elaborate
You are correct. I would advise just rewiring it though.
Last edited by lil PopTart kid at Aug 27, 2010,
You could just wire a basic circuit that only involves the LED's, a switch(on/off) and a battery to power them. you can keep it completely separate from you're guitar's electronics. This way would mean you would have to change the battery from time to time, but not that often since LED's don't take a lot. You would also then be able to take it out if you wanted without having to get into messing with your pups and such.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
okay,
I'd strongly advise not removing pickups to improve looks.. sound/versatility vs looks.. you should always pick sound.

There should be plenty of room to fit 2aa or aaa batteries required to drive a few small led's just behind the volume and tone pots.
if not, use button cells..

you could also use a input jack with a switch, (same as used for active pickups) so that your led's light up when you plug your guitar in.
Quote by guitargeek89
okay,
I'd strongly advise not removing pickups to improve looks.. sound/versatility vs looks.. you should always pick sound.

There should be plenty of room to fit 2aa or aaa batteries required to drive a few small led's just behind the volume and tone pots.
if not, use button cells..

you could also use a input jack with a switch, (same as used for active pickups) so that your led's light up when you plug your guitar in.

I agree with all of this

you can install LEDs, a switch and a battery under the pickguard without removing anything. I'd suggest using a 9v battery over aa or aaa's, though

if you just snip the wires to the middle pickup, it'll be similar to a killswitch, but you'll have a little bit of buzz/hum in the signal when the switch is in the middle position. like, it wont be completely silent.

if you want help on how to wire the LEDs and everything, head over to the wiring thread and we'll be glad to help
If I am understanding this correctly, I would take the wire that is going to the middle single coil and desolder it, rather than just snipping it. It probably won't hurt just snipping it like they are saying, but I don't like wires go everywhere, doing nothing. And, it will be easier to use the pickup later if the wire is longer.

IMO If you want, I would go ahead and take the middle pickup out. I don't like middle pickups.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)