Page 1 of 2
i've owned a lot of guitars and basses, but never named one. i had a grey ovation at one point that one of my bandmates named "the blue bomber", but as far as names go, that's it. a lot of my friends name their guitars, and a lot of people on boards seem to, as well. the only instrument i ever named is the rogue starter guitar my husband got to practice making sound ports. i call it the peanut 'cause it's shaped like a peanut, but i don't feel like i'm addressing it by name.

it's not that i don't love my guitars. my guild is absolutely wonderful, i love playing it, and my cargo with its big voice and small size is great! and my little yamaha and washburn rover mean a lot to me - before my shoulder started to recover, they were the only guitars i could play, and getting the rover was a very emotional thing. i love 'em - i just don't name them. don't know why i don't - i've named a couple of my cars.

so... do you name your guitars?
Yeah, named both of mine.

B.C. Rich Warlock - Wallie
Les Paul - Elizabeth

I think it's neat, but I don't go too overboard on referring them "by name", it just makes them feel a little more yours.
i named two of my guitars. i call my first guitar junior (a fender starcaster) and i call my strat baby. i often talk to it too, which i admit is pretty nuts :P
peace, bucketslasher
wallie warlock

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Yeah, named both of mine.

B.C. Rich Warlock - Wallie
Les Paul - Elizabeth

I think it's neat, but I don't go too overboard on referring them "by name", it just makes them feel a little more yours.

crazy? probably, but sometimes i talk to my guitars, too. i let them know if they're getting new strings soon and express appreciation after a particularly good session.

Quote by bucketslasher34
i named two of my guitars. i call my first guitar junior (a fender starcaster) and i call my strat baby. i often talk to it too, which i admit is pretty nuts :P
I just call em, by their brand/style

for example when I want my ibanez rgt42dx I'll just tell my brother "get me my ibanez"

when I want my B.C Rich NJ Deluxe V (for sale, see below) I tell my bro "Get my Bitch"(Does that count?)

when I want my Fender American Standard Strat I'll say "hey go get my strat"

btw...My brother is the only other designated "guitar handler" besides me

All jokes aside I care for all my gear, it's just that I haven't felt the need to name them at all maybe in the future when I forked out a few G's on my custom then I'll feel inclined to give it a name but for now no.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
yeah i name em all!

my Fender Stratocaster is named Kate

my Fender ESS-100 i named Cassie

and my new Epiphone hummingbird i named Calliope
No. It's an inanimate object made of mostly wood and a bit of metal. It has no life of it's own other than the residual in the wood. It already has a name, and that is guitar. I don't even call mine by the masculine/feminine HE or SHE. It is simply an it.
Quote by LeftyDave
No. It's an inanimate object made of mostly wood and a bit of metal. It has no life of it's own other than the residual in the wood. It already has a name, and that is guitar. I don't even call mine by the masculine/feminine HE or SHE. It is simply an it.

Do u get any enjoyment out of life at all? Lol.
Quote by LeftyDave

We are sailing the same boat.
My burswood eletric is called Juinor (don't ask lmao).
My other electric is called Rawry
My classical is called Casey.
My lindo is called Bluesy.
My uke is called Eugene.
And I'm yet to name my Tanglewood, Banjo + other classical.

I got all but one of these guitars for free so thats why I have so many lmao.
I've owned a few guitars, but never named one. I did have a buddy in highschool that gave all of my guitars names at one time or another though. Never quite figured out why, but I thought it was funny enough to not ask.

I'll usually just say the brand name when I'm talking about one of them, possibly the model number if someone asks.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
i named my american std strat julianne, which is my girlfriends middle name. its a sunburst so their both brunettes lol
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Both of mine have names, though I didn't name them straight away. My classical is called Jewel, which I named it after roughly a year, and my strat is called Aeryn, I named her after about a month or so.

Quote by patticake

crazy? probably, but sometimes i talk to my guitars, too. i let them know if they're getting new strings soon and express appreciation after a particularly good session.

I occasionally talk to mine too, though mostly it is apologising to them if I knock them over or I accidentally knock them on a wall or desk or something. I am most definitely stark raving bonkers.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
4 guitars named after birds.
Raven,Crow,Canary,Penguin.
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Les Paul-Sam
Strats-Darius, Jasper
Tele-Endymion
Acoustics-Vernon, Taylor (cause it's a Taylor)
Violins-Tom Fiddle, Bob

Yeah, I need to get out more. :-p
I named my acoustic, "Kayla".
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
My Tanglewood Evolution acoustic is called "Morphine", I had a skateboard prang in 1989 that ended me up in hospital with little skin left on my body!
Well Morphine helped me out there, actually relieving pain!!
generalizations don't always work. i'm both a real and a dedicated guitar player who doesn't name my guitars.

Quote by Kenneth19
I name all my guitars...Any real and dedicated guitarist does.
Some of my guitars don't deserve a name..my Ibanez for instance has no soul (not to my ear anyway or perhaps its the way I play it) so it doesn't get a name!

Quote by g1jammer
Some of my guitars don't deserve a name..my Ibanez for instance has no soul (not to my ear anyway or perhaps its the way I play it) so it doesn't get a name!
My Pluto ( yep, it's a cheap unknown brand) is called Lucy.... a spin off the girl i liked
My Takaminie classical is called "Amber"
I used to name all my guitars but it just got too hard to remember them all so now none have names.
just what they are is enough
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 4, 2010,
I've only named one of my guitars - My first electric guitar was a white strat copy that I named Britney.. Because it was basically white trash but still pretty damn nice :p
"To Talk Without Thinking Is To Shoot Without Aiming"
Quote by Kenneth19
I name all my guitars...Any real and dedicated guitarist does.

it's usually posers who come to generalizations like these... just because you decided to name your guitar doesn't mean you are any more dedicated to the instrument than anyone else that chose to opt out of that process.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Sep 4, 2010,
I named my acoustic Lucile. I often talk to her as I'm cleaning her. Crazy? Maybe a little. I have yet to name my Epiphone LP. And my Jackson knock off doesn't exactly have a name although I call it a "Flaguitar" (See here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25090751&postcount=3853)

I've also named my amp "Berry" (It's a Behringer haha. See here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25115347&postcount=3859)
Quote by Dix_Fix
I used to name all my guitars but it just got too hard to remember them all so now none have names.
just what they are is enough

Damn that's an awesome collection! And I'm quite jealous of your stratacoustic.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
sorry i dont talk to my guitars lmaoo
but saying the model names are sort of too long for when i intro them to my friends.
so i just call them by their color and looks lmaoo
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
I see the guitar as an extension of myself. It isn't "Odin", it's "Zach's guitar."
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i make up names on the spot for everything i own. it's never consistant. my kids are gonna be scrrreweeddd.
I call them "the crappy Yamaha", "the average Yamaha" and "the good one".
HA
i name EVERYTHING
my acoustic's name is "tartar" because my two year old sister always runs up to me when i come over and say "Sissy play your tartar and siiiing!"
it's freaking cute!
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
Page 1 of 2