Ive put a low e string from a bass onto an old strat ripoff i have and it sounds relatively good through a friends bass amp with just that string tuned to e in the bass register. my question is would it be possible to string the guitar with all bass strings and have it tuned to guitar standard tuning but a whole octave down? ,anyone done this or something similar?
No. The neck is not designed to sustain that kind of tension. You will destroy the guitar.
Ermm...guitar necks aren't really designed to handle bass strings. It'll prolly warp the neck if you put all bass strings on there. I'd take those bass strings off and go buy a cheap bass, assuming you have an inclination to mess around with bass.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ermm...guitar necks aren't really designed to handle bass strings. It'll prolly warp the neck if you put all bass strings on there. I'd take those bass strings off and go buy a cheap bass, assuming you have an inclination to mess around with bass.

This, be glad it was a cheap strat knockoff
Yeah, they're called bass guitars, but they're usually only four string versions.

You could also try a baritone guitar.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
While my main tuning is CGDAEG, the strings I use are still just heavy guitar strings- no bass strings on my guitars.

Try a real bass or a baritone. If you're not sure, try the Steinberger Trans-Trem, which is a baritone guitar with a built in capo.

Here's one, but they come in a few different bodystyles, including the classic minimalist Steinberger and something metal-y.

http://www.amazon.com/Steinberger-TransTrem-Custom-Electric-Guitar/dp/B0017KJU5S
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
TS if you want bass note on guitar, im your guy.

now you want E standard but bass level right?

then you want crossover strings made for guitbasses. ive done drop C# on my excel (bass lvl) with these. (25.5 inch scale is what i used)

but you will have to drill out your tuner. and the string ferrels/bridge (whatever type of sys you guitar has)

the size is
26w 35w 44w 55w 75w 95w
the flatwound takes out some of the highs but its suited for the drop in the octave.

http://www.bigcitystring.com/dadeb.htm

also he wants a thicker tone so baritones wont help TS. (also the case as most are B standard tuned)

EDIT: more notes:
- fret board space is lost so this style isn't very much suited for many chords.
- distortion sounds sick, but 3/4-1/2 of what you have with reg. guitars is good
enough
- 50 watts minimum if you're running this through a guitar amp, otherwise it will struggle with any frequencies past D (below your low E)
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Aug 28, 2010,
On the tension issue why does the bass string i already have on there feel so floppy and loose tuned to E?
If it was putting tension on the neck surely itd be pulled tight?
Wouldnt having such a low tuning, short scale length and high gauge strings put less pressure on the neck?
Im just thinking here of guitarists who tune to drop A and things like that who put thicker strings on to maintain tension
Quote by reversegenesis
On the tension issue why does the bass string i already have on there feel so floppy and loose tuned to E?
If it was putting tension on the neck surely itd be pulled tight?
Wouldnt having such a low tuning, short scale length and high gauge strings put less pressure on the neck?
Im just thinking here of guitarists who tune to drop A and things like that who put thicker strings on to maintain tension

bass strings are meant for a much longer scale length so it wont be tight on a guitar scale, so you need specialized strings. ^^ read previous post.

the tension is about equivalent to a set of 11s though on the fingers it feels alot less.

drop A = 13-60g to 14-70g (based on 25.5 scale, less if longer)

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Think about it, a bass has a long neck to keep the big thick strings tight at such a low tuning. A guitar has much smaller strings so it only needs a shorter neck to maintain tension at a much higher tuning. If then you put really heavy strings in a really low tuning on a relatively short scale guitar the tension shouldnt be as lethal as you guys make out. Like i said this is a strap ripoff i paid nothing for so ill try it out and see what happens
Actual bass strings would be at too low of tension to damage the neck. Getting them through the tuning keys and making them stay seated in the nut and saddles is a whole nother issue.

To have the same tension as a bass you'd need much heavier strings. Just like on a Jag you'd use heavier strings than on a Strat to get the same tension in the same tuning.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i think you should post your results as i would like to see what a strat would sound as such.

mine was a HH strat so its not that all different

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

I also hear that the Morpheus DropTune is the bomb...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think an octave pedal would be of more use. Also I would use thicker strings, but not bass strings.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"