I came across a progression I like. I've recently started learning how to figure out what key songs and progressions are in bt this one confuses me a bit.

The progression is D/F#, G, Dsus2, Em.

Thanks in advance
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
The D/F# would be the root, or I of the key.

The G is the IV.

The Dsus2 is neither major or minor, but still has a D in the root, so it's still a I.

The Em is the ii of the key.
Quote by Next Hendrix
I came across a progression I like. I've recently started learning how to figure out what key songs and progressions are in bt this one confuses me a bit.

The progression is D/F#, G, Dsus2, Em.

Thanks in advance

Can you give us some more context? For instance....

is this a song, or just a random progression that you made up to jam over?

Does it just repeat as written, or is there more to it.

The more you can tell us about it, the better chance you have of getting an accurate answer.

As is id agree with the other posters about it being in D Major.
shred is gaudy music
No context needed to determine the key. Given those 4 chords, the key is D major. Now, if we start adding in other chords, then it's possible the key might change, but given those chords, there's no doubt the key is D major.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Can you give us some more context? For instance....

is this a song, or just a random progression that you made up to jam over?

Does it just repeat as written, or is there more to it.

The more you can tell us about it, the better chance you have of getting an accurate answer.

As is id agree with the other posters about it being in D Major.

I made it up to jam over.

Currently its repeat as written bc I can't find a direction to go from there that I like

I figured knowing the actual key would help with that.

Also the first chord being D/F# still makes it the I in D Major? I figured the F# would throw that off.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by KG6_Steven
No context needed to determine the key. Given those 4 chords, the key is D major. Now, if we start adding in other chords, then it's possible the key might change, but given those chords, there's no doubt the key is D major.

Well actually, context is always relevant. But assuming the TS has given us the full context ..... I agree that, its in D major.

Quote by Next Hendrix
I made it up to jam over.

Currently its repeat as written bc I can't find a direction to go from there that I like

I figured knowing the actual key would help with that.

Also the first chord being D/F# still makes it the I in D Major? I figured the F# would throw that off.

Yeah, even inverted the D still functions as a I chord.

Depending on what else you do, those chords could technically be part of a D major progression, or possibly G Major.

As is though, I hear it as a Tonic - Subdominant thing.... in D major.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by KG6_Steven
I disagree. Who's to say it's not a V I V vi in G major? Or better yet, a VII III VII i in E minor?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea