The stuff I keep hearing has "core" thrown at the end of it (rapcore, deathcore, metalcore). It sounds like a joke to me. What the hell is this stuff? Is it metal where they can kick ass in standard tuning and actually sing or has metal become stuff with 100% screaming, overused double bass on the drums, and drop tunings and the like? Not really a fan of this newer age of metal (unless there's some good underground stuff I'm missing out on). It'd be sweet if they could take out the vocals for most modern metal because the guitarists usually have some above average chops (unless it's just all rhythm guitar - not a bad thing, but you have to be able to pull it off). So are there any bands that summarize what metal has become?
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
To me a few different bands have personified the progressive types of Metal I would like to listen to. Katatonia had a new CD that just came out that is amazing. Night is the New day is that CD. Opeth is another band that Ive enjoyed. Cynic and In Flames are all else I can think of, but some people may bash In Flames
periphery
tesseract
born of osiris
the faceless
necrophagist
meshuggah
veil of maya
bulb

^ i would say that is the general 'in' style/sounds in metal today. i've left a lot out but that is just a general overview. basically, 'djent', odd time signatures, crazy diminished and chromatic shit, ridiculous breakdowns, ridiculous lead parts. 7 and 8 strings. i personally love all these bands btw. bands these days need to be proper out the box and TIGHT with their chops to get anywhere i've noticed :/ i personally love it all, but yeah. to stand a chance you gotta be hitting out with some techy stuff man
Metal has (EDIT-) unfortunately become synonomous with any band that uses distortion, double bass, and screaming...

Annoying breakdowns and crunch ditones aswell.
Last edited by Fruityjuice at Aug 28, 2010,
I'll be perfectly honest here. I just watched that link and those guys have the whole "emo" thing going on. Just my opinion and I don't mean to bash the band, but if that's today's metal than I'm highly disappointed :/ And what the hell is up with the keyboard...

Quote by jhalterman
I'll be perfectly honest here. I just watched that link and those guys have the whole "emo" thing going on. Just my opinion and I don't mean to bash the band, but if that's today's metal than I'm highly disappointed :/ And what the hell is up with the keyboard...

The techno breakdown was an atrocity.

btw, love the green.
Quote by Fruityjuice
The techno breakdown was an atrocity.

btw, love the green.

Yea, peeps tend to get a kick out of at least one of those quotes (most wouldn't get the 1st or 3rd one though).

But I literally just watched 3 of the bands that (whoever) just posted and it's screaming and double bass and... it makes me bummed :/ No wonder pop music has taken over. Look what happened to rock and metal! Metal went overboard and rock went into pus mode.

Bleh...

GODAMMIT I HATE PEOPLE SAYING DOUBLE BASS

every time I see it I have to read the sentence twice because I always picture an actual doble bass.

/rant
Lamb of God pretty much embodies the stereotypical modern metal sound.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by Deplorable

every time I see it I have to read the sentence twice because I always picture an actual doble bass.

/rant

I've only ever heard of double bass on drums, my bad :P

Quote by jhalterman
Yea, peeps tend to get a kick out of at least one of those quotes (most wouldn't get the 1st or 3rd one though).

But I literally just watched 3 of the bands that (whoever) just posted and it's screaming and double bass and... it makes me bummed :/ No wonder pop music has taken over. Look what happened to rock and metal! Metal went overboard and rock went into pus mode.

Bleh...

"Just screaming and double bass" my ass. You aren't even listening to the music, dude. Go listen to some more Judas Priest.
Quote by Deplorable

/rant

Standup bass, ftw
The Wildchild Lamb of God pretty much embodies the stereotypical modern metal sound.

IMO, Lamb of God defines metal right now. In America, anyways. I like them because I have ADHD and they're one of those bands that switch it up often and dont reuse the same I-#V-V over and over...
Quote by MustangMan311
"Just screaming and double bass" my ass. You aren't even listening to the music, dude. Go listen to some more Judas Priest.

I sat there with the lyrics next to me, man. It's the way that's its coming out: screaming is not singing and doesn't have much going for it; it's very 2D. And I'm listening to Judas now, the band that helped start the metal genre before it when downhill, apparently...

Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Fruityjuice
Standup bass, ftw

IMO, Lamb of God defines metal right now. In America, anyways. I like them because I have ADHD and they're one of those bands that switch it up often and dont reuse the same I-#V-V over and over...

They're bland. I'd rather listen to a band using an overused but rather successful formula than a band that experiments with their bland music.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by The Wildchild
They're bland. I'd rather listen to a band using an overused but rather successful formula than a band that experiments with their bland music.

But for someone without any midrange hearing they're awesome.
Quote by UntoExistence
oh is that what he meant? i thought he was referring to rednecks with no hearing due to blowing shit up at close range or whatever they do.

Hey asshole, you can piss off. You got something personal against me? I dont really give a flying rats ass. I blew my midrange listening to AC/DC way to loud back when I was a wee kid.

You can take your hillybilly lawlercoaster somewhere else homeboy.
Quote by Fruityjuice
Hey asshole, you can piss off. You got something personal against me? I dont really give a flying rats ass. I blew my midrange listening to AC/DC way to loud back when I was a wee kid.

You can take your hillybilly lawlercoaster somewhere else homeboy.

So you can't hear tenor singing, unless they go into baritone or soprano territory? And does every guitarist sounds exactly like dimebag?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.