Hey guys,
My friend who doesnt really play guitar recently discovered his parents had a very old Fender Bassman head sitting in there garage!! We both want to try it out to see if it works but the only cab i have is a b-52 ls-100 mathcing cab that is 4 ohms and the head says the output is 50 watts... is it safe to play it through my cab?
Does the Bassman have a 4 ohm output?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
4 ohm cab? look at what the head's speaker out is expecting. i think the bassman heads usually ran 4 or 8 ohm. i'd say it's safe enough to test briefly, but you'll want to identify the impedance and have matching impedance between head and cab

i don't know how old the bassman is (pics would help) but if it is old enough then tubes might have failed, or more likely the filter caps may have gone bad
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Like gumbi said, things are likely to have gone bad if it's been unused long enough. I'd take it to a tech before you fire it up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the best idea is going to be to just give it to me for say 20 bucks or so and rest assured it'll be in safe hands
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
yea the speaker output just says 50 watts which is weird... but i figured the tubes had gone bad but didnt think about anything else... ill tell them to take it to a tech first... but could i still hook it up to my cab after they take it to a tech? Beacuse I really want to play it too lol
Why on earth would they make a 4 ohm cabinet. That's ridiculous. I don't like Mesa cabinets that much because they're 8 ohms. But 4 ohms, that's just silly.

The higher the impedance, the tighter it will feel.

You can mismatch impedance and the amp will work fine. But after time the transformer will turn 'funny'. Which is why you should match impedance. But for testing purposes it should be fine.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Aug 28, 2010,
its 4 ohm and theres an 8 ohm input... im still learning about cabs and all this because i just got my first one...
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Why on earth would they make a 4 ohm cabinet. That's ridiculous. I don't like Mesa cabinets that much because they're 8 ohms. But 4 ohms, that's just silly.

The higher the impedance, the tighter it will feel.

You can mismatch impedance and the amp will work fine. But after time the transformer will turn 'funny'. Which is why you should match impedance. But for testing purposes it should be fine.

Marshall 1960 cabs are switchable between 16 and 4 ohm. It's not uncommon. Higher impedance won't make it tighter, it might cut some top end but tighter? Can't imagine why, unless you think highs make it loose

TS, what is written on the back of the Bassman next to the output?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Any pic's of the amp's front and back? As said earlier your best bet might be to bring it to a tech.
Quote by ultimate-rocker
its 4 ohm and theres an 8 ohm input... im still learning about cabs and all this because i just got my first one...
Yeah, I understand. It does take a while to become accustomed to all the nuances. But once you're there it becomes a whole lot easier.

If the cabinet is a 4 ohm cabinet, and there isn't a 4 ohm connection on the back (which could well be the case as some older amplifiers only had one or two impedance selections) then you still should be fine for now. Just don't use it for the next few months like that or you could permanently damage something.

If, though, there is a 4 ohm input on the Bassman, use that. Either way you won't hear very much difference wherever you put the cables.

Make sure you use a good cable, btw. Avoid cheap guitar cables as they are not thick enough to cope with the heat. If the cable breaks, the transformer will be ruined -like a timing belt going on a car - and it could be dangerous. If that is all you have, try not to use the amp for any long periods of time.

Cathbard - Tighter is not really the right word maybe, but it certainly feels like it has a better bass response with a 16 ohm cabinet.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Cathbard - Tighter is not really the right word maybe, but it certainly feels like it has a better bass response with a 16 ohm cabinet.

You are being tricked by the slight cut in top end.

You can run a mismatch of impedances with a lower value cab but it is dangerous. If you do have to do it, keep the volume down or you'll cook it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You are being tricked by the slight cut in top end.

You can run a mismatch of impedances with a lower value cab but it is dangerous. If you do have to do it, keep the volume down or you'll cook it.
Damn that sneaky top end.
definatly take it to tech before anything. in all seriousness if you dont like it PM me and ill buy it haha i would kill for a vintage bassman
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Quote by Cathbard
Marshall 1960 cabs are switchable between 16 and 4 ohm. It's not uncommon. Higher impedance won't make it tighter, it might cut some top end but tighter? Can't imagine why, unless you think highs make it loose

TS, what is written on the back of the Bassman next to the output?

it says 50 watts...
Well, the old blackface Bassmans had a 4 ohm output.
Take some photos and post them so we know what the hell we are talking about.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
amen cath
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae