Hey All
I have been playing for about 2 years now. So far im pretty good with riffing and alternate picking. i can play metallica, pantera, slayer riffs pretty easily but the thing im stuck in is i cant get the speed up to play the damn solos on any of these songs. I know dimebag was amazing but i have been playing the cowboys from hell solo for a week with a metronome but its no where near as good as it should be. Should i keep at this one solo or should i try something different. Also are there any easier solos which sound ****ing sweeet but arent that tough to ease me into the tougher songs.
thanks
Most Metallica (black album) songs have pretty easy solos that sounds alright. Try the Master of Puppets solo, or maybe a few slower songs.

The Cowboys from hell solo is tough.. hang in there, you'll get it eventually!
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Maybe try learning this song and see if it helps.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
i'll try learning a few of the songs on the black album thanks. what else did you guys do to learn awesome solos back when you were at my level of playing?
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Maybe try learning this song and see if it helps.

So bad that nobody got that joke. Because I lolled
another way you can learn it is by breaking it up into little licks and start playing them with a metronome at something small like 100bpm or 90bpm. Then keep trying at that speed till you get it falwlessly for about five to ten minutes, then move it up one bpm and do it again. I know it takes a long time to learn it that way, but it will lead to results.

Once you've goten about half of the riffs done like this, try to stick them together at a relitively slow speed. roughly 110bpm then skip up five bpm till you get to the right speed. do this again with the second half and you should have the whole thing down in a very short time, not to mention that you'll have a solo that you can melt your friends' faces off with.
thanks krypticguitar87 thats some really helpful advice. im gonna get started now
If you like Metallica, you could try some of their slower songs like Fade to Black, Master of Puppets, (I know it's fast, but it's solo's pretty simple) Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Orion, and One. Personally, I think all these solos sound pretty sweet, but just make sure you take your time and learn to play them right or you'll remember how to play them sloppily and likely have a hard time getting it right after you feel like you've already learned it.
What really helped me to speed up is just playing scales. Forget about learning solos, just go back to the basics. Make up 3 or 4 note patters across different strings in different places using whatever scale you wish, and then try to play it fast, picking every note. Results guaranteed.
i have been playing scales for a while now. the pentatonic major and the normal major scale in different keys. Scales are useful for getting the speed up but i couldnt translate the scale exercises to some sweet sounding solos....

btw everyone thanks for the support. this has been really helpful.

Quote by ZubierAbd
Hey All
I have been playing for about 2 years now. So far im pretty good with riffing and alternate picking. i can play metallica, pantera, slayer riffs pretty easily but the thing im stuck in is i cant get the speed up to play the damn solos on any of these songs. I know dimebag was amazing but i have been playing the cowboys from hell solo for a week with a metronome but its no where near as good as it should be.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been playing for 15 years and I doubt I can play it (don't know it, never tried).

Don't listen to anybody who says they can play at the level of Dimebag Darrell after 2 years.
Theres this one kid i know. hes 2 years younger than i am but hes been playing for about 3 years now or so. hes playing everything from pantera to malmsteen to alterbridge :S he is really really good.

btw thanks jogogonne that did make me feel a bit better.
Quote by ZubierAbd
Hey All
I have been playing for about 2 years now. So far im pretty good with riffing and alternate picking. i can play metallica, pantera, slayer riffs pretty easily but the thing im stuck in is i cant get the speed up to play the damn solos on any of these songs.[...]

What others have said about starting slow is spot on. Also start simple, then move onto the next thing.

The key idea to being able to play anything fast is muscle memory. You want your fingers do the playing without you having to think about it.

First off, you break any longer solo up into smaller pieces and learn these individually. You start slow, with a metronome (very important), and speed it up once you can play it without making any mistakes at least 5 times. The whole process is explained in a lot more detail here http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/technique-2/playing-fast-how-to/.

Hope this helps,
Willem
yeah it did. im starting to see a lot of improvements. i learned the 1st solo on fade to black and the 1st one of master of puppets and now just started the final fade to black solo.
Quote by ZubierAbd
yeah it did. im starting to see a lot of improvements. i learned the 1st solo on fade to black and the 1st one of master of puppets and now just started the final fade to black solo.

Those were the solos I was going to recommend. Those solos are the first two solos I learned to play through and through. I've been playing for 7 years, and am finally playing solos. With a proper teacher I probably would have been soloing years ago.

Anyway the solo in Bohemian Rhapsody is pretty easy. So is the 1st solo in Iron Man.
Maybe, it's a certain technique utilized within a passage of the solo? Play through it, find out what's giving you trouble, and look up exercises for the Technique that needs work. Taking a break from learning a song, and working on some general Technique practice can show surprising results.

If you'd rather just keep working on the song, slow it down to a tempo where you can nail it. Only speed up when you have it down at "X" speed. Don't rush it, and keep the quality consistent.
yeah i did do that for a few weeks. was learning the last solo to sweet child of mine when i struck a wall and couldnt get it down so i just started learning scales and practicing picking exercises.

@2foolforschool i will try the bohemian rhapsody one and iron man solo next.