Hey everyone!

I am debating on getting a Crate Blue Voodoo Head off my local craigslist. I mean it is tube an is only $250. Is this amp capable of doing metal well. Would any owners of this amp out there let me know if this amp is worth it. Are the cleans half decent and does it have reverb?

Sorry I am asking these questions I did try to listen to it on youtube but the quality of the recordings make it useless tonewise.

Some bands I play: Metallica, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Vai, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Trivium, Breaking Benjamin, Children of Bodom, Blink-182
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
my friend has two of these damn things. the 120 and 300. and my other friend has the 120 as well. they really dont sound spectacular, what do you expect, its a crate lol. IMO crate is a practice amp company, anything beyond that id say dont even bother with. my friends both have them because of the same reason youre looking at one, because its cheap. my friends mostly play ultra distorted death/doom metal. sludgy muddy whatever you want to say. theyre good for that(still dont sound that good, but i suppose they do it near best if anything), but not much else.

tl;dr try for something else, trust me

EDIT: your valveking is wayyy better
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Marty Friedman used them, I think. They're pretty decent.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
boosted valveking > blue voodoo .

have you tried the effect loop trick on your valveking that i came up with like 3 years ago.

You stick a patch cord into the in and out of the effect loop nothing in the middle improves tone and gain
Quote by Grog_ZE_Impaler

have you tried the effect loop trick on your valveking that i came up with like 3 years ago.

You stick a patch cord into the in and out of the effect loop nothing in the middle improves tone and gain

never tried it however i do currently have the dummy jack mod
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
The Blue Voodoo is a decent metal amp. Crate have a number of good amps, this is one of them.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I've heard the opposite of Blue Voodoo amps. They were the "good" side of Crate.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
I've heard the opposite of Blue Voodoo amps. They were the "good" side of Crate.

i would agree
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
IMO the blue voodoo gets WAY more brutual than a valveking.. With a boost and a noise gate, you can get some pretty awesome heavy tones. The cleans arn't bad, and it does have reverb.

It also slightly depends on the year, there is a big cosmetic difference in the older ones and the new ones. My newer one sounded better than my old bandmate's old one.

The blue voodoo sounds nothing like any of the other crates I have played. Its not a practice amp.
/rig
^Yup, its one of the better crate amps. Cheap all tube, I'd take one over a VK anyday.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The BV has a fair amount of gain... lacks the sizzle of a modern lead channel, but still sounds pretty good.
It's a turd at bedroom levels, but a beast at practice/stage levels.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Have one as well, I have no regrets for picking mine up for 300. Thing died on me pretty quick (transistor blew or something) but it's been running fine since, and it does everything I want and sounds great through my Marshall. I play the same stuff you do and feel it sounds much better rolling the gain back to noonish and giving it a boost through a tubescreamer. Initially I played it through a Valveking cab and it sounded like garbage, but the addition of a better cab and a nice pedal has kept me a happy. Plus Marty Friedman is one of my faves.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
My band recorded a CD with one and our other guitar player uses it live. Sounds pretty good to me although the Mesa destroys it. My only complaint is it breaks all the time. You can hear it in the MySpace recordings below.
Quote by drewfromutah
My band recorded a CD with one and our other guitar player uses it live. Sounds pretty good to me although the Mesa destroys it. My only complaint is it breaks all the time. You can hear it in the MySpace recordings below.

dude nice band you guys are like reel big fish with a hardcore kinda feel

and thanks everyone for feedback
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Last edited by Karpet King at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Grog_ZE_Impaler

This post is wrong and it is bad.

The Valveking does not smoke the BV.

I'm pretty sure IbanezPsycho figured out the Effects Loop trick, not you.

With 1 patch cable in the loop - what do you consider the middle?

I've got a Blue Voodoo 120 with a tubescreamer up front and a NS2 x-pattern'd in it. Nothing spectacular until you hit about 4-6 on the volume where it really opens up. Cleans aren't anything spectacular, as I'm looking to get it modded by Voodoo Amps.

Great for metal though. Crunch-y rock and blues, not so much.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This post is wrong and it is bad.

The Valveking does not smoke the BV.

I'm pretty sure IbanezPsycho figured out the Effects Loop trick, not you.

With 1 patch cable in the loop - what do you consider the middle?

i'm pretty sure it was me look me I was the first person to post it up anywhere mabey do a look before you spout that he came up with something
I'm pretty sure effects loop buffers were around long before the Valveking, and I'm pretty sure you didn't invent the idea of putting a patch cable in it to boost signal.
why do people keep bumping this thread
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
TS: The Crate Blue Voodoo is a fine amp imo. There other ways to get some constructive advice so...

Budget?
New or Used?
Genres: check
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear: check

Quote by Grog_ZE_Impaler
i'm pretty sure it was me look me I was the first person to post it up anywhere mabey do a look before you spout that he came up with something

I did do a look up. I searched through all your threads and relevant posts the other day and guess what?.....I didn't see anything. Like mentioned, it is no big massive secret - as plenty of other amps do that as well. IbanezPsycho brought it to our attention in the The Valveking thread MK I. The fact that he did so is also documented in The Valveking thread MK II.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
TS: The Crate Blue Voodoo is a fine amp imo. There other ways to get some constructive advice so...

Budget?
New or Used?
Genres: check
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear: check

i know fairly a lot about amps already i just wasnt sure about the blue voodoo because ive never played one or knew anyone who plays one and wanted to hear from you guys.

well i guess it would be wise to skip it and keep saving for a 5150 head(i mean its only $100 bucks more)
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b