I am not making this thread to be like a poll just more of a discussion about whether a solid state amplifier or a tube amplifier is best for playing metal. This can be related to a specific band's setup or metal as a whole but I have wondered what type of amp is used for what sound and why do certain metal bands prefer tube or solid state.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Tubes handle distortion better and the VAAAAAAST majority of most amps you will hear in metal will be tube. Solid state is cleaner and some may desire it, in fact I think they sound superb (depending on the amp) on a more OD setting as opposed to really high gain. Generally though when the gain on a SS amp is past like 75% it'll sound very "wet" (see Dimebag tone for an example, best I can think of as he only used solid state)

Usually it's just a given that tubes will be used, and pretty much any amp above $1000 will be a tube amp (excluding various combos I know that are oriented for jazz in which you want a very clean tone, with no distortion)

I played a Crate Flexwave 120H earlier which is solid state and the tone was quite workable on the overdrive channel, much tighter than the high gain one.

As for the performance aspect, tube amps are generally more desirable as tube amps will "sound" louder than a solid state one, though they actually aren't, but there will be a significant difference between a tube and solid state amp that have the same wattage. Like, you could probably easily play a show with a 30W tube amp, but most likely not with a solid state one, if you don't want to crank it and have it sound like crap you would most likely need to mic and send through monitors. As a trade off though, you can't change the volume on a big tube amp that much (because it will be quite loud even at like, 2 or 3), so if you get like 100W I would recommend taking out a few power tubes so you have varying ranges in terms of where you can set your volume.
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Steve08
(excluding various combos I know that are oriented for jazz in which you want a very clean tone, with no distortion)

whatcha got? i love boutique amps
Quote by Steve08
I played a Crate Flexwave 120H earlier which is solid state and the tone was quite workable on the overdrive channel, much tighter than the high gain one.

Used to have one of those amps, liked it quite a lot, but then i bought a 6505 and it blows it right out the water!

Saying that though, old Suffocation & Dying Fetus albums were recorded with an Ampeg vh-140c SS amp and they have a crushing tone, so its not like one or the other is better! Just a matter of preference!
Quote by UntoExistence
the ampeg vh-140c is still regarded as one of the go to SS amps for metal on a budget.

Indeed. If you cant find one of them though, buy a Crate GT3500 theyre pretty much the same amp!
Chuck Schuldiner used a Marshall Valvestate for at least ITP, it's just what tone fits with the genre and fits with the other instruments.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I've got a roland cube tube 15x, which might not seem like much, but it can hold a deadly tone, being really versatile and getting pretty damned loud for its size. Of course I don't use the amp's shitty distortion, I have a big korg multipedal that handles all of that but yeah I'm going to back up tubes here no matter the size.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
It's just as important what you do in the studio after the recording. EQ and a good compression can make your tone 100x better.
Yeah, instead of your tone sounding like shit, it will sound like grade-A expensive polished shit, if you have shitty tone to start with.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Which will sound better than just a regular shit tone...

I didn't say it would make it good, just better, and there's no way you can deny that.
Quote by UntoExistence
whatcha got? i love boutique amps
Acoustic Image amplifiers. Check them out, they're generally combos but you can actually take the power and preamp section out (the amp head part, essentially) and use it separately.
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 28, 2010,
I use a solid state amp. It's a practice amp and that's all it's going to be. Works fine but I'll bet I'll end up selling it for a tube amp when I get better and possibly move from casual to serious.
I think the guitarist's playing style and the effects he uses can mean any decent amp will work. I prefer a mix e.g. the rhythm guitarist on SS and lead on tube. Though what works in the studio doesn't always work live, and vice versa.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
SS can do metal very well. Examples include:

Peavey XXL
Vetta/Vetta II
HD147
VH140c
Valvestate 80xx series

Of course, I'm of the opinion that most tube amps just in general sound better than most SS amps.
Randall G3 series
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
1 word
Bugera
333XL 212 <3 love every second i play on it
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Steve08
I thought the 333XL was a tube amp?

you can talk about either in this thread

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by onimacaroni

Saying that though, old Suffocation & Dying Fetus albums were recorded with an Ampeg vh-140c SS amp and they have a crushing tone, so its not like one or the other is better! Just a matter of preference!

I think Gallagher still uses them. It's a shame they don't make them any more, they sound fantastic. Probably relatively cheap too, I'd have thought?
Quote by webbtje
I think Gallagher still uses them. It's a shame they don't make them any more, they sound fantastic. Probably relatively cheap too, I'd have thought?

He did until Descend Into Depravity, he used engls last time i seen them, dont think his live tone is that good now. 2 year ago i saw them and he had the ampeg through a marshall 1960, it was crushing!!

They should be about £300-400 at most, i think its just the problem is that everyone that has it knows how brilliant it is and isnt going to sell it for anything haha!
Quote by Zero Substance
Big. Old. Tube.

Good job at living up to your name.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
Good job at living up to your name.

What can I say? I enjoy the sound of a cranked single channel tube amp more than most things in life. Of course there are solid states worth having but I generally prefer tube amps. That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind getting my hands on an Ampeg Vh 140c and am currently working on acquiring a Sunn Concert Lead.