Hi, sorry for continually posting about amps but i was wondering is it a good idea to just get a good cleans amp and than add pedals for all the effects. Also if so whats a good amp. I can spend about £300 (maybe abit more). I don't need anymore than 30w as i'll only use it for bedroom playing and occasional small gigs.

Thanks
what kind of music do you play?

we need to know that first.

what kind of effects are you talking about?

what kind of guitar do you have and pups?

small gigs huh? check

what is your closest city and how do you buy gear normally?
i play rock, metal and a bit of jazz. i want overdrive/disortion/reverb pedals on it. atm i only have a yamaha pacifica but i'mn getting a mid range ibanez rg or s (not decided yet) manchesters my closest city and i normally buy gear by testing in shop and then order online .
do you consider distortion and overdrive an effect? EDIT: to clarify: what percentage of your time do you spend playing clean, and what percentage overdriven/distorted? What do you mean by metal and rock?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The distorion and overdrive will be pedals so the quality of the amps onboard distorion doesn't matter to me. i play bands such as metalica nirvana matchbox twenty bullet etc etc I play about 50 50 really
So you have about $465 US dollars

Jazz to Rock to Metal is somewhat of a tall order in this price range. I would consider an amp that has above average distortion tones and above average clean tones within this budget. Unfortunately, there are not too many of them. Personally, I think will tire of the distortion pedal for dirt running into a clean amp scenario.....but there are plenty of people that do that.

You might be able to find a used Roland Jazz Chorus, Fender Hot Rod or Music Man and then run a disti pedal into it. Old Fender and Peavey SS amps might be right up your ally.

If I was in your shoes I would look used and then new: maybe look at Roland Cube 30/80, Fender SuperChamp XD, Peavey Vypyr 60, Peavey Classic 30, Jet City JCA20/50, 6505+112 possibly. Stuff like that.
Hmm.

That kind of versatility isn't going to come cheap. You could always pick up a solid modeller like the line 6 flextone.

You are going to be paying at least 100 each on the used market for a solid dist and drive pedals. Does that mean you actually have closer to 700 to spend? In which case you're better off picking up something a little better like the marshall DSL combo. That'll get you decent cleans, and solid drive.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So you have about $465 US dollars

Jazz to Rock to Metal is somewhat of a tall order in this price range. I would consider an amp that has above average distortion tones and above average clean tones within this budget. Unfortunately, there are not too many of them. Personally, I think will tire of the distortion pedal for dirt running into a clean amp scenario.....but there are plenty of people that do that.

You might be able to find a used Roland Jazz Chorus, Fender Hot Rod or Music Man and then run a disti pedal into it. Old Fender and Peavey SS amps might be right up your ally.

If I was in your shoes I would look used and then new: maybe look at Roland Cube 30/80, Fender SuperChamp XD, Peavey Vypyr 60, Peavey Classic 30, Jet City JCA20/50, 6505+112 possibly. Stuff like that.

+1
You might be better off to look at stuff that doesn't need to be imported. Also, it's hard to get something great for cheap. Perhaps you should wait a little bit longer and accumulate a bit more money???
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ZT-Lunchbox-200W-1x6.5-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=583553&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=431139179

LOOK NO FURTHER, MY FRIEND. This thing has a brilliant clean, compact size, and a lot of power for your gigs (you may still want to mic it, maybe not). You wouldn't have a whole lot of money left for pedals though, unless you went used.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Jazz isn't that much of an issue if it can't handle it well i only play it from time to time if that helps things ??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

+1

playing 50:50 clean to dirty, you might get away with a clean amp with pedals (they'll have to be good pedals, though), a lot of the time it's people playing 10% clean and 90% dirty, who still want a clean amp to run pedals through, and I really can't understand that logic at all

I'd probably be considering a jet city (i haven't tried them, but have heard great things) or maybe a laney vc30 or peavey classic 30 with an overdrive pedal for a boost for higher gain stuff. EDIT: if you can spend a bit more, maybe an egnater tweaker, i haven't tried that either, on paper though it has the versatility if the different tones don't have to be footswitchable. Or maybe that new engl gigmaster (haven't tried either, the engls i have tried have been great and very versatile, by and large).

I don't play much jazz but I don't really think jazz is the problem, it's the versatility/high gain needs which are the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 28, 2010,
For some reason the Peavey Classic's go very cheap on eBay in the UK, so you should be able to get one for £200ish, then you could spend the rest on a decent dirt pedal, just another option to think about.
Peavey Classic 30 or Peavey Valveking 112 might be worth looking into. I played both before I bought a VK112 and I probably would have got the Classic, but it was more money. For some reason I bought New, don't know why.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)