I recently stopped by my local music store and checked out their used section and I found an interesting peice. A squier stratocaster that is apparently Made in the USA. Upon asking someone who worked there I was told the guitar is from 1999 and was made in the USA but assembled in asia. The serial number on the fender site agrees with the date and that it was "made" in the USA but...

I was wondering if anyone had anymore info on this guitar or i f they had ever heard of such a thing?

1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Aug 31, 2010,
My friend has a Squier with a flamed maple neck, apparently there was a mix up at the factory or something.

So if that's possible I'm sure an MIA Squier is also a pretty rational idea.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Snap017
My friend has a Squier with a flamed maple neck, apparently there was a mix up at the factory or something.

So if that's possible I'm sure an MIA Squier is also a pretty rational idea.

Ya I've heard of mixups but from my understanding they used this system of making the parts in the USA then assembling them in asia. Some say japan and some suggest korea.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
There were some american made squiers but they only lasted a year from 1989 to 1990. Your serial number states that it is from 1990 or 1999 so I'd say 1990.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
According to 'The Fender Book' by Tony Bacon and Paul Day, in 1990 and 1991 some USA made bodies and necks were sent to the Mexican factory for 'preparation and finishing' and returned to the USA for 'assembly and completion'.

They came out under the Squier name but with a 'Made in USA' designation.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
According to 'The Fender Book' by Tony Bacon and Paul Day, in 1990 and 1991 some USA made bodies and necks were sent to the Mexican factory for 'preparation and finishing' and returned to the USA for 'assembly and completion'.

They came out under the Squier name but with a 'Made in USA' designation.

Hey thanks to you and skaterdan too! Thats really cool. I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near a real american fender but it's pretty well made for a squier.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Hey thanks to you and skaterdan too! Thats really cool. I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near a real american fender but it's pretty well made for a squier.

agreed, must be better than a regular squier.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I emailed Fender with some photos asking if the guitar was legimate and I was told it was a legitimate USA made guitar made only in 1991 in Corona California.

Heres alittle more history.

"USA Squiers are very rare. Some of them have a serial number with a E = Eighties (1980s) prefix, and some of them have a serial number with a N = Nineties (1990s) prefix.
USA Squiers were made for less than a year spanning 1989 and 1990 before production of Squiers went back to Mexico.

This was a period when Made in Japan Squiers had stopped and then they moved Squiers to Mexico, but there was a fire in the Mexican factory which disrupted things for a few months in which Fender USA made the Squiers."
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Hmm... It looks good to me, but from a business perspective. Made in USA, shipped to China.. then shipped back to the USA?? something doesnt make sense.
Quote by JJ2003
Hmm... It looks good to me, but from a business perspective. Made in USA, shipped to China.. then shipped back to the USA?? something doesnt make sense.

From the sounds of it, the guitar was completely made in California just not to the spec of american made fender guitars. I'm guessing the salesman who told me that was just bullshitting to make a sale.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Maybe it will be worth something some day. I don't much about collectable guitars but maybe it will be worth while holding on to it.
In any case it's pretty good guitar with a fun story.
nice looking grain on the headstock. can you post a good pic of the back of the neck?

congrats, nice guitar.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
nice looking grain on the headstock. can you post a good pic of the back of the neck?

congrats, nice guitar.

Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
nice. i've seen various fenders/squiers with sick grains or flaming going on. that's a nice grain. congrats again.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
nice. i've seen various fenders/squiers with sick grains or flaming going on. that's a nice grain. congrats again.

Thanks! Pretty well made little guitar for 250$
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Who knows, that could be worth something in the years to come. That does look like a pretty good guitar in good condition. I would hold on to it.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
Who knows, that could be worth something in the years to come. That does look like a pretty good guitar in good condition. I would hold on to it.

I plan on holding onto it. Debating whether I should modify it at all or not. Just thinking of adding some new pickups but I'm afraid of messing with it's mojo.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I plan on holding onto it. Debating whether I should modify it at all or not. Just thinking of adding some new pickups but I'm afraid of messing with it's mojo.

I think the future resale value will drop if you change the pickups.
Quote by Fender Dane.
I think the future resale value will drop if you change the pickups.

True, not sure how big of a resale value it would have since so few people know about them but ya
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Ya, it would hurt the resale, but you could always change the pickups back. Just up to you.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)