Hey, like the title says, i have been wondering what the poinnt of heads are. I got a job recently so when i get enough i am going to get a new bass and amp. And i dont know if i would need one at this point, but eventually i might want to get a head but i would really like to know if it would be even worth it cuz from what i have seen they are kinda spendy. So, if someone could be so kind as to tell me...

1. What exactly is the point of one

2. Do bassist usually use one or is it more of a guitar thing

3. If i do want one, should i wait until i get into a steady band or would it be usuless to get one while im just by myself

Thanks everyone, and sorry if thats a pretty noob question, i just never really got the point of them
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
1. You can hook up a head to several speaker cabinets, which allows for massive sound dispersal, as well as more variety or different sounds.

This is Al Cisneros' of Sleep, Om and Shrinebuilder 's rig. He is a bass player. All of this is him.

3. It depends on how you want to have your bass sound, how important your bass is to the band's sound, etc.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 28, 2010,
Ok, so it just helps make you alittle louder and makes it so you can have a more precise tone?
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
An amp on it's own doesn't actually make any sound,
You need a speaker powered by the amp to make a noise.
So you couldn't just have a cabinet and plug in, and the same with a head.
You need both to make noise, Combos just have both parts built into the same amp where as a head and a cab are the two parts seperated. This is beneficial because you can change cabs whenever you want and also it makes transportation much easier if you're playing a gig that have cabs but want you to bring your own heads.
(=
Ooooo ok, that makes more snese lol. Ok, can you plug in a head to a combo though? Or is there no point?

~Zanascross

XD epic win
The reason I use a head is for portability, tone and ease of use...

I have my head rack mounted with all my effects units etc in one case. If it was a combo in the case it would be far too heavy for two people to lift. Also I prefer 4*12 cabs, oversized ones even more so. If there was an ENGL Savage 4*12 XXL Combo can you imagine how much that would weigh combined with all my rack stuff? It would be impossible to lift
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by NOTAFOX
Ooooo ok, that makes more snese lol. Ok, can you plug in a head to a combo though? Or is there no point?

That depends on whether you plan to plug the head into the amp or the speaker in the combo.

You can accomplish either in a couple of ways:

- If the speaker in the combo has a speaker cable connected to it, you can connect that to the head's speaker out.

- If you want to use the combo's preamp, but the head's power amp, you would plug the effects send from the combo into the effects return on the head.
- If you want to use the combo's power amp, and the head's preamp, you would plug the effects send from the head into the effects return on the combo.

You can also plug a combo into a speaker cabinet if the combo has a speaker output, provided the cabinet's resistance matches the combo's required resistance, and provided the cabinet's wattage rating meets or exceeds the combo's RMS wattage output.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
...ok i wont be doing that XD

~Zanascross

XD epic win