Ok, im back and this time on the search for the best bass to get as opposed to string choices, amp choices which ive done before quite sometime ago and got some great help on!

Ok.

Ive got about £700/£800 to spend (once i sell one of my basses)

I want a bass which has good tone selection. I like a trebley funky tone (preferably a bass which can hold onto the strings fresh sound for aslong as possible).

I dont want to feel the body of the bass hitting into my wrist. I have a Gibson Les Paul bass which while i love it, constantly goes into my wrist because of its body shape. The shape however, has to have a cool "guitar" like shape...im really funny about the shape of the bass. I hate stereotypical bass shapes as i find them to be too big looking (im a short ass mofo). Id also need it to be as light as possible, ive got a Warwick Corvette but its so damn heavy it gives me proper aches....a distraction i could do without when playing onstage.

So far out of all basses ive played, ive found a bass with the best tone controls, and longest string sustain was a Yamaha 5 string that ive got...unfortunately i never took to playing 5 string and i also dislike the body shape of it. (it looks like a shark tooth or something, typical yamaha 5 string shape).

So what do you dudes think?

A few bassists im a fan of tone wise and playing wise.

Duff Mckagan
John Taylor
Flea
Bootsy Collins (his playing more than his twin amp tones)
Fender.

best basses after all... You could get a nice jazz bass for that money! (I'm saving for it myself too atm)
Quote by GidBass
Fender.

best basses after all... You could get a nice jazz bass for that money! (I'm saving for it myself too atm)
ok, what type of Fender?

plus the further back you go with those groovers, the higher the price.

Some of those real vintage 50s/60s basses sell for a few grand!!!
I have no idea of the price range, but when I read that a Stingray came to mind.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Zead2
Now that looks damn cool, id take the scratch board off though. The shape looks like a cross between richenbacker, spectre and more!!!

EMG pick ups aswell, yummy.

nice.

ill go youtube to see someone playing them if there are any vids.
Quote by mrlee192
Now that looks damn cool, id take the scratch board off though. The shape looks like a cross between richenbacker, spectre and more!!!

EMG pick ups aswell, yummy.

nice.

ill go youtube to see someone playing them if there are any vids.

There's probably a big hole under there.
Quote by Ziphoblat
There's probably a big hole under there.
haha damn

well to be fair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1JlkwwcIo

It looks like quite a thick bass, so it would prbz stick into my wrist. Looks similar to a Rick which i used to have but sold (never liked the feel of playing that bass, felt stiff)
Quote by gilly_90
I have no idea of the price range, but when I read that a Stingray came to mind.
Bernard Edwards used one of those right?

(the guy from Chic, who then worked with David Bowie, Powerstation, possibly Madonna but thats not a cool name to drop)
Quote by Spaz91
Schecter, Traben, Spector, Warwick and possibly Sandberg.

Have a look at all of those.
Could be what im looking for.

On there site theyve got the current Bass player of Living Colour listed as a player, love that shit.

Im pretty sure in the past Rachel Bolan from Skid Row played Spector, and Flea did i think during the late 80s.
ESP makes a wicked good bass. I love mine a lot. For being a 35" 6 string it's pretty light.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by mrlee192
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMt6_h9ZUo

ok this is the bass i want. Or something close to!

now....where can i find one and how much!

That would be a Spector. I'm not sure how much they are across the pond, but here in the States, the lower end Legend models start a bit over $500 (new), the much better Euro models start at around $2000 (new), you can find used Euro Rebops (a bolt on, more budget-friendly Euro) for around $800, and US made models cost anywhere from just over $2000 to $5000+. All those prices were for new basses except for the Rebop's. I know the currency is different, but that might give you a reference point of sorts.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
That would be a Spector. I'm not sure how much they are across the pond, but here in the States, the lower end Legend models start a bit over $500 (new), the much better Euro models start at around $2000 (new), you can find used Euro Rebops (a bolt on, more budget-friendly Euro) for around $800, and US made models cost anywhere from just over $2000 to $5000+. All those prices were for new basses except for the Rebop's. I know the currency is different, but that might give you a reference point of sorts.

I've seen Rebops go for $600 US. You mentioned before you don't dig heavy basses, My Euro 5 is heavier than any Warwick Corvette I've ever played. You should be able to find a Rebop in your price range or even a Euro or LX if you're patient enough.
Quote by mrlee192
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMt6_h9ZUo

ok this is the bass i want. Or something close to!

now....where can i find one and how much!

I'm a huge fan of P+J pick up combos. That's an old NS-2, they don't make them with that pick up combo anymore, sadly. If you want something close, Fender Deluxe P Bass would work, I think.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.