Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a new guitar, especially one to play with my metal band. I already own a esp m-400 w/ emg 81's and a floyd, so I've got the whammy base covered, but I'd like a string thru guitar so that I can tune on the fly and not take half an hour to change tunings or strings regularly. I'm totally torn between these two guitars right now.

Dean Mustaine VMNT
and
Jackson Rhoads RR5

My Concerns

The VMNT has the livewire active pickups, which I have tried and like quite alot, possibly even more than my emg's. Fast neck and felt great to play. However, the guitar does look a little bland, and the build quality may be a bit of an issue, given it's a korean guitar the risk factor for something being less than satisfactory is substantially higher. When I tried it, the guitar did feel a little bit light, not very "solid". Didn't seem to affect sustain or anything, but it's just a pet peeve.

The Rhoads is a beautiful guitar, no denying. I love the gold plating around the hardware and switches. Bult in USA as well. Plus the shape is classic, I've always liked it more than the traditional V shape. However, the pickups are Duncan Jazz pickups stock, which are passive. I have the same line in another guitar and prefer them much less to my active ones. So, I'd likely switch those out for actives, adding on to the cost, which is slightly higher than the Dean. Plus, I would have to find space in the back for a battery. Also, it only has 22 frets, compared to the Dean's 24. Not a huge deal but still a factor.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Dean. It's not half as shiny and beautiful, but it's hard to beat the price for a high end guitar. I won't need to switch out pickups and do the grunt labour, they're great already. I have yet to try out the Jackson, but I hear they feel similar to ESP, which is just fine with me, I love mine.

Does anyone have any shocking revelations to change my mind?
iv heard great thing about both guitars as guitars, but have heard a lot of complaints at the dean for its looks, like smudged paint, fret inlays not straight. and a few other quality control issues with the dean.

i also love the compound radius fretboard on jackson, so i say jackson.
Get an angel of death instead, i palyed it at a guitar store.
BAM i'm Dave Mustaine.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Jacksons QC, value for money, action, feel and playability far surpasses dean.

The jackson is a japanese built guitar, a high quality instrument, japanese built guitars are well renowned for excellent quality.

The dean is the same kinda price, made in korea and deans always overcharge on their sig models. They also tend to be wired up by people who are completely blind.
Quote by beckyjc
Jacksons QC, value for money, action, feel and playability far surpasses dean.
They also tend to be wired up by people who are completely blind.

those two are completely subjective ..

but there is no doubt..the RR5 is going to better
Yeah you're right that would be subjective, to me deans always felt like big chunky baseball bats. I suppose if you have huge buckethead hands you'd be into it though.

Jacksons ive played generally have a lower action though, and built more for shred and lead work.
^ but thats based on the factory set up

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Better factory set up is a indication of better quality control and care.

And im not just talking about action, jackson necks are slimmer and wider.
Thanks all, I'll go in and do a side by side comparison. It might be nice having a spare set of good passives around to swap out with another guitar later if I go the Jackson route. I'll probably make a decision based on the feel and contour of the neck.
Ima Jackson fan so I'l learn towrds jackson. but one thing about the dean is the ebony fretboard over the rosewood. The dean is Mahogany neck and body as the Jackson is Alder/maple. So there's a HUGE tone difference right thur. If you can try both, do it then go with your gut. Good luck :]
I own a Jackson RR5.

I can honestly say thats its a really good versitle guitar. Reaching for the 22nd fret is really easy. some people might find the shape wierd but I find it comfortable, If you find it uncomfortable then put your strap really high so when you sit down its sort of balancing off the strap and your leg.

It's a really versitle guitar, i can get some nice melow sound to a nice metal sound, but then again diffrent amps will give you diffrent sounds even tthough when I plugged it in my Kustom 10w amp I got nice sound, and when I plugged it into the college's Marshal JCM2000 amp it sounded awesomer lol.

I have not tried the Dean VMNT, I'm sure thats good too.

Since I have only played the Jackson RR5, I reccomend it to anyone!
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Aug 28, 2010,
I have one of the first VMNTs, so that may be a factor, but it's one of the best-quality guitars I've played. It's by far my favorite V, and amongst the top overall. No issues with build quality, I hadn't even heard the paint or inlay problems. I love the silver finish, and after two and a half years I haven't had a single problem with it.

I also tried out the RR V's, and from the cheapest to the highest, they all just felt bad. I'm not a big fan at all of offset V's so they weren't comfortable, the fingerboard was alright, but all but a couple had dead spots all over the place, and one thing that annoyed me was that they all made the same popping noises when switching pickups. Even the King V's I tried out did this too, which saddened me.

Also, the weight of the VMNT does take time to get used to, since I expect a heavier guitar each time, but its sustain rivals a good Les Paul most of the time.

tl;dr I say VMNT.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
All the main points have been covered, but there is one more thing.

The RR5 in ivory is straight up CLASS.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Eh white with Black bevels is sick to. Also , there is the Matt Tuck sig. Its Just like like a RR1T with emg 81/85 set. So It has ebony fretboard like the VMNT and Its slightly cheaper then the RR5. And no bring up the argument of it being a signature model. The VMNT is Dave Mustain's sig model
Jackson, no doubt. I have always said (IMO) that I felt Jackson were the most comfortable to play. My first guitar was a Jackson, and I plan on having a bunch more. And I agree with the above post, the RR5 Ivory IS straight up class. Best looking guitar ever!
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
VMNT is far superior to the RR5. If QC is an issue, Mustaine uses the Korean imports when he plays Live and in the Studio. I would never trust Jackson due to lack of quality they've been displaying lately.
Quote by Spartan101400
VMNT is far superior to the RR5. If QC is an issue, Mustaine uses the Korean imports when he plays Live and in the Studio. I would never trust Jackson due to lack of quality they've been displaying lately.

Thats some pretty good ignorant fanboy skills.
What QC issues do you speak of Spartan?

My Jackson RR24M is ****ing flawless in every way.

TS - you are really just going to have to do a side by side to see what feels best for you.

All I know is if you were to sell either one later in life you will get more money for the Jackson. They just have a better resale value. Thats really were the jap made stuff comes into play over the Korean or Indonesian made guitars.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
You just made a bad situation to debate in here. They're both superb for what they do, although the Jackson can be generally classified as superior.

Try both in a store and play to find out what feels better to you all around. This is the best advice you will constantly get throughout the thread.

PS: If the VMNT feels plain; do yourself a favor and get the Angel of Deth edition of the guitar please. We'd appreciate pictures of those.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
every jackson i've ever played (and there have been a load) ranging from the cheapest to some of the high end US models have had something wrong with them. on one US model the control knobs were on the verge of falling off and the neck pickup was loose......

purely on that basis i will never recommend a Jackson, get the Dean
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
every jackson i've ever played (and there have been a load) ranging from the cheapest to some of the high end US models have had something wrong with them. on one US model the control knobs were on the verge of falling off and the neck pickup was loose......

purely on that basis i will never recommend a Jackson, get the Dean

Wow, just wow.

The control knob being loose and a loose neck PU are not issues at all. Tighten 1 screw...BAM...problem solved.

I was thinking more along the lines of bad paint job, bad fret work, cracked fretboards...real issues.

Also, were those floor models or brand new unopened out of the box and they were like that?

You can't use floor models as your basis, who knows what kind of idiot had been messing with it before you got a hold of it.

So yea, never recommending a Jackson because of those reasons is just plain retarded...no offense.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Wow, just wow.

The control knob being loose and a loose neck PU are not issues at all. Tighten 1 screw...BAM...problem solved.

I was thinking more along the lines of bad paint job, bad fret work, cracked fretboards...real issues.

Also, were those floor models or brand new unopened out of the box and they were like that?

You can't use floor models as your basis, who knows what kind of idiot had been messing with it before you got a hold of it.

So yea, never recommending a Jackson because of those reasons is just plain retarded...no offense.

none taken, but this is my opinion - it doesn't exactly make a good impression that the smallest of things is not done properly that should have been done at the factory does it even if it is a simple fix......

they were mostly brand new out of the box, some were floor models.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Spartan101400

No? Really? Dave Mustaine was using guitars from his signature line, oh my god, I call BS!
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Last edited by Mazz211 at Aug 30, 2010,
The Jackson owners say get a jackson the dean isn't as good, the Dean owners say get a dean the jackson isn't as good. Just go to a shop that carries them and give them a try. They're both going to be excellent guitars and any slight difference in quality between them is going to be negligible at best. Pick the one that feels and sounds the best to you. They're both V's but they're going to sound and feel very different due to different neck profiles and different pickups and tone woods.
I'm personally not a fan of either but between the two my personal preference would be for the dean just because I like the neck profile better and I while it isn't neccesary I prefer 24 frets. Aesthetically though I think the jackson is classier. As others have said though, if you do choose the dean, go for the angel of deth v.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I am a Jackson owner, have played other models such as the Kelly and Dinky and such but in my experience I find quality to greatly vary across all their models. On that basis though i wouldn't strike the RR off the list, then again neither the Dean. they are both awesome guitars and in this case just choose whoever you idolise really.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Quote by RR787
You just made a bad situation to debate in here. They're both superb for what they do, although the Jackson can be generally classified as superior.

Try both in a store and play to find out what feels better to you all around. This is the best advice you will constantly get throughout the thread.

PS: If the VMNT feels plain; do yourself a favor and get the Angel of Deth edition of the guitar please. We'd appreciate pictures of those.

I've never really liked the look of graphics on guitars, they just make them seem too customized to be played by thousands of people. I like straight finishes better. Honestly the silver doesn't bother me that much, but putting it up against a guitar as sexy as the RR5 makes looks definitely a factor.
Quote by Mazz211
No? Really? Dave Mustaine was using guitars from his signature line, oh my god, I call BS!

I posted that because everyone believes he uses the USA made guitars on stage but he hardly ever does. In terms of QC for Jackson, I've only had a good experience with the USA Custom Shop. It's like every Jackson I've played has been missing something, it's missing that touch that makes it a great instrument.
Quote by Spartan101400
I posted that because everyone believes he uses the USA made guitars on stage but he hardly ever does. In terms of QC for Jackson, I've only had a good experience with the USA Custom Shop. It's like every Jackson I've played has been missing something, it's missing that touch that makes it a great instrument.

Just saying, of course he uses his signature models on stage, no matter where they make them he's going to use the koreans, most people wont buy the USAs if they are idolise Dave Mustaine because they cost too much, if he doesn't use the koreans no-one will buy them either, it'll just be one of those models that are based off his sig and not actually a sig, one of those "Dave's my idol and I want his guitar, the USA is way too expensive and the ones I can afford he doesn't even use" which in turn won't make them as much money.
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Quote by Pink Muse
I have one of the first VMNTs, so that may be a factor, but it's one of the best-quality guitars I've played. It's by far my favorite V, and amongst the top overall. No issues with build quality, I hadn't even heard the paint or inlay problems. I love the silver finish, and after two and a half years I haven't had a single problem with it.

I also tried out the RR V's, and from the cheapest to the highest, they all just felt bad. I'm not a big fan at all of offset V's so they weren't comfortable, the fingerboard was alright, but all but a couple had dead spots all over the place, and one thing that annoyed me was that they all made the same popping noises when switching pickups. Even the King V's I tried out did this too, which saddened me.

Also, the weight of the VMNT does take time to get used to, since I expect a heavier guitar each time, but its sustain rivals a good Les Paul most of the time.

tl;dr I say VMNT.

I wonder if you actually know SOMETHING about guitars.

Quote by Spartan101400

Mustaines guitar is a custom made Dean fanboy noob. And Jacksons QC hasn't been down since the USA made dip in the 90's.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I wonder if you actually know SOMETHING about guitars.

Gee, I don't know, maybe a few months of trying out several dozen different guitars had something to do with knowing SOMETHING about what I was buying. Maybe I wanted to be satisfied with SOMETHING I was purchasing instead of plopping money down on SOMETHING by its brand name and spouting out useless facts. Maybe I know SOMETHING about qualitative testing and not just "it looks better."

Don't be a waste of semen if you can't even offer an argument as to which he should try out.
Quote by Wisthekiller

I say get a Jackson KV and throw some EMGs or whatever in there. I mean, it's the best of both worlds in this situation.
For what it's worth, Dave used a Jackson KV for a long time
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by Pink Muse
Gee, I don't know, maybe a few months of trying out several dozen different guitars had something to do with knowing SOMETHING about what I was buying. Maybe I wanted to be satisfied with SOMETHING I was purchasing instead of plopping money down on SOMETHING by its brand name and spouting out useless facts. Maybe I know SOMETHING about qualitative testing and not just "it looks better."

Don't be a waste of semen if you can't even offer an argument as to which he should try out.

If you claim that the VMNT is the most qualitative guitar you ever played, i KNOW you dont know so much about actual good guitars. I mean: Suhr? Anderson? Tyler? Vigier? ESP/ESP CS? Jackson USA/Jackson CS? PRS? EBMM? Crap, even Dean USA and CS is WAY better than a mediocre VMNT. You obviously dont know what quality is.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 31, 2010,
And I'm assuming you've played enough to know that they're not all pieces of firewood just because they say Dean on the headstock, right? I mean, someone of your obvious intelligence wouldn't go making such an unfounded statement without throughly trying out several guitars over a long period of time to reach an educated conclusion.

Any brand can make a one-off piece of shit, any brand can make a one-off piece of heaven. The VMNT I purchased is one of the best-feeling and best-sounding guitars I've played. I wouldn't have spent money on it if it wasn't.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
And I'm assuming you've played enough to know that they're not all pieces of firewood just because they say Dean on the headstock, right? I mean, someone of your obvious intelligence wouldn't go making such an unfounded statement without throughly trying out several guitars over a long period of time to reach an educated conclusion.

Any brand can make a one-off piece of shit, any brand can make a one-off piece of heaven. The VMNT I purchased is one of the best-feeling and best-sounding guitars I've played. I wouldn't have spent money on it if it wasn't.

Did i ever say the dean was a piece of firewood? It's just you claiming it to be the best there is and the Jackson (which is a high end pro series) a piece of crap. While everybody knows that, compared to the dean, the RR5 is a better instrument. You just say ridiculous stuff.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by LP_CL
Did i ever say the dean was a piece of firewood? It's just you claiming it to be the best there is and the Jackson (which is a high end pro series) a piece of crap. While everybody knows that, compared to the dean, the RR5 is a better instrument. You just say ridiculous stuff.

I never said it was the best there is, I said it's one of the best I've played. If you're going to put up a shitty argument, don't try and misquote me.

I also never said Jacksons are crap. I said none of them felt good to me, and some were bad. When I cut my finger open on a fret on an RR5, do you think that made me want to rate it as a quality instrument and spend $1,000 on it? When the fretboards have dead spots, why should I suggest that over a guitar I know has played better? I'm not saying every Jackson is godawful, and I'm not saying every Dean is god-tier.

I put up my own experiences, and that's what they are- collected from my time trying out various V's, testing out most brands and models from a decently wide price spectrum. There's no reason you should attack someone based on that, but then again you don't seem to be the thinking type based on what you've tried to say. I don't really know what's ridiculous about anything I've said, since advice based on experience is the norm on this forum. It's a wonder anyone can take you seriously.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
I never said it was the best there is, I said it's one of the best I've played. If you're going to put up a shitty argument, don't try and misquote me.

I also never said Jacksons are crap. I said none of them felt good to me, and some were bad. When I cut my finger open on a fret on an RR5, do you think that made me want to rate it as a quality instrument and spend $1,000 on it? When the fretboards have dead spots, why should I suggest that over a guitar I know has played better? I'm not saying every Jackson is godawful, and I'm not saying every Dean is god-tier.

I put up my own experiences, and that's what they are- collected from my time trying out various V's, testing out most brands and models from a decently wide price spectrum. There's no reason you should attack someone based on that, but then again you don't seem to be the thinking type based on what you've tried to say. I don't really know what's ridiculous about anything I've said, since advice based on experience is the norm on this forum. It's a wonder anyone can take you seriously.

Since it's the best you've played, it means you haven't played alot of quality guitars. That was the point i was making.

And sure, some of the Jacksons are bad. Every guitar company produces melons that are a shame to the name of the company. You must be one unlucky guy to pick out a melon Jackson every time. Because they are friggin hard to find. That's why i call BS on that. What i find ridiculous is that you claim that a Korean made guitar that costs about 400$ less is better made than a Japanese made guitar. And yes, you can take me seriously. The 5 pro series (KV5,RR5,KE5) are the top end MIJ Jacksons. These are the best guitars the Japanese Jackson factory produces. It's their line of pride. They will not let them pass easily through the QC.

Oh and every one that says: "Every guitar i played from brand X was bad is rediculous. Every brand makes good guitars, and melons. I KNOW that Jackson produces melons too, but i also know that they are feckin hard to find, because the QC in the Jackson factories is very high.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
if you do dean, get an old one. old like from the 80's. my $.02.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Page 1 of 2