Hi fellow axe wielder is the Peavey VYPYR 30 a good buy for the price. I need loads of different tones, for example Blues, Metal (Mettalica), Punk. I wanna spend no more than 250 pound.
Quote by Alucard817
I believe so, i have the vypyr 15. i and all my friends love it.

O good an owner. Do you use it to jam and practice, coz i wanna know how loud it is?
And does the amp moddeling sound cheesy?
Last edited by CombatWombat 95 at Aug 28, 2010,
i own the vypyr 75, and i use it for jamming and occasionally gigging. The amp modelling sounds great if you know what to dial into it, but some of the effects aren't top notch. The vypyr 30 seems to be a great amp too, so go for it. I haven't regretted purchasing mine.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
-Alan Kay

Check out my original classical composition here !
The main thing with the next amp i get is that the sounds are not cheesy. I would rather buy a simple solid-state that does sweet Mettalica tones, than a cheesy sounding moddeling amp.
I have the Vypyr 30. It gets decently loud, enough for small gigs. I did one in my school auditorium (I believe 400+ people were there) and it was on 6, overpowered the drums and bass (the person in charge told me to keep it up). I keep it on 2 or 1 at home though.
Quote by CombatWombat 95
O good an owner. Do you use it to jam and practice, coz i wanna know how loud it is?
And does the amp moddeling sound cheesy?

i mainly play bass, i only have guitars to mess around with, so my friends use it.
at home just playing i keep the volume under 1 and you can still hear it in the living room. if i turn it up just under 3 you can hear it outside. this thing is ground shaking loud. unlike others though i dont find the effects to be cheesy, except maybe the reverse setting (everything you play comes through backwards) and the onboard tuner is useless for me. i do suggest you go to this site for settings.
http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choice=select

another thing i like about this amp is its analog, so you get a better sound (in my opinion anyway) then a spyder.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 28, 2010,
another thing i like about this amp is its analog, so you get a better sound (in my opinion anyway) then a spyder.

What do you mean it's analog? The definition of a modeling amp means it is digital.
I got one to replace my microcube, and was really impressed. There are only a few amp models I don't really like (Krank and B-Kat are two that come to mind), but you can dial in some great sounds with it, and it's plenty loud for band practice and small gigs. I'd pick up a Sanpera II to boot, as this gives you access to the looper and manual control over the Pitch Shift. Though the latter can be controlled by a knob, it's a manual control and makes no sense to use.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by farmosh203
What do you mean it's analog? The definition of a modeling amp means it is digital.

Maybe he meant that it had analog distortion, which it does
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by Pink Muse
There are only a few amp models I don't really like (Krank and B-Kat are two that come to mind)

The Krank is one of the best high gain settings it has

Anyway, yes TS, it is loud, and it doesn't sound very digital. For what you'd be using it, it's perfect. It does a good clean Metallica with the Chorus setting, and dirty Metallica on a red XXX amp model.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by spacec0wboy
The Krank is one of the best high gain settings it has

Anyway, yes TS, it is loud, and it doesn't sound very digital. For what you'd be using it, it's perfect. It does a good clean Metallica with the Chorus setting, and dirty Metallica on a red XXX amp model.

I think the Metallica sound can be better replicated with the Dual Rec channel.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I have a Vypyr 30. It's a good amp for the price. You can play anything on it. Got for it!
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
I have the 75 watt. It's a great, versatile amp. You won't regret getting one.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
I have a Peavey Vypyr 15, and my friend has a Peavey Vypyr 30. Great amps for low prices! They are very loud, and they have great tones for metal, blues, rock, etc...
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
On my Peavey Vypyr 15W, I get incredibly fuzzy distortion on it, when you set it to max gain and such. It does get nice enough cleans, but as soon as you switch nearly any model to red from green, you get some fuzz and buzzing, which gets VERY annoying when playing complicated distorted riffs. I do believe that the 30W may have less of this problem, but it still may exist.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Pink Muse
I got one to replace my microcube, and was really impressed. There are only a few amp models I don't really like (Krank and B-Kat are two that come to mind), but you can dial in some great sounds with it, and it's plenty loud for band practice and small gigs. I'd pick up a Sanpera II to boot, as this gives you access to the looper and manual control over the Pitch Shift. Though the latter can be controlled by a knob, it's a manual control and makes no sense to use.

Sorry to TS for slightly hijacking, but to Pink Muse, is it a real improvement over the microcube? I've been thinking bout getting one but im not sure if its gonna be that much different.

To TS, from reviews and everything, it seems like a brilliant amp in its price range
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Maybe he meant that it had analog distortion, which it does

I don't think there's a such thing as digital distortion, although technically you could digitally distort a signal if you wanted but it's easier to do in the analog domain. All amps distort the signal in the analog domain, so I'm not sure what the point of his comment was unless it was to trick him into buying the amp because it is "analog".
Quote by farmosh203

an analog signal has a continuously variable signal where digital signal does not.
atleast to my ears i think it sounds better then digital does. call me old fashion but analog just sounds better then anything digital.
the vypyr uses primarily analog circuitry where as the spyder (line 6) uses digital circuitry.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 28, 2010,
I have a Peavey Vypyr 30W, and it's definately worth getting. I picked it up for £175 (brand new) so you should be able to swing it for £150 - £200 or so and get a bit of change.

The amp has a very nice variety of effects and sounds, and can do all the sounds you mentioned (if you want both clean and distorted Metallica settings for it let me know because I've got ones that sounds almost exactly like they do). The fuzz on the distorted channels isn't really an issue and the volume can be ridiculously loud - I have to keep it on 1 out of 13 when practicing in my bedroom, and putting it on 13 should be enough for a very big stage for a gig.

Oh, and the sounds aren't cheesy at all =)
Quote by Alucard817
an analog signal has a continuously variable signal where digital signal does not.
atleast to my ears i think it sounds better then digital does. call me old fashion but analog just sounds better then anything digital.
the vypyr uses primarily analog circuitry where as the spyder (line 6) uses digital circuitry.

That true. The amps with analog distrortion sound so much more real than digital distortion. Thats why the Zoom G2 sounds so shit.
Quote by Anon17
I have a Peavey Vypyr 30W, and it's definately worth getting. I picked it up for £175 (brand new) so you should be able to swing it for £150 - £200 or so and get a bit of change.

The amp has a very nice variety of effects and sounds, and can do all the sounds you mentioned (if you want both clean and distorted Metallica settings for it let me know because I've got ones that sounds almost exactly like they do). The fuzz on the distorted channels isn't really an issue and the volume can be ridiculously loud - I have to keep it on 1 out of 13 when practicing in my bedroom, and putting it on 13 should be enough for a very big stage for a gig.

Oh, and the sounds aren't cheesy at all =)

Thanks man thats exactly what i wanted. Beliveable sounds that can be played in bedroom and at a small gig.
I got it and it's 2nd amp I've ever used. I think it's alright for now. I'd feel a bit daft going gigging with it but I guess it could do small shows. I don't really know anything about that.
I have one and it's definitely loud enough for pretty much anything. In my bedroom I barely even go up to 2. I actually find that a little annoying though, you barely touch the volume knob and it goes up by a LOT. At large gigs you'll probably be mic'd anyway. As for the tone, it's pretty versatile and you even have built-in effects like wah. It sounds best on high-gain settings but cleans are ok. I've tried mimicking the sounds of lots of artists mainly on high-gain like Metallica, Disturbed, RHCP etc and you can get them near perfect if you play around with it enough. Oh and if you do get it, theres a site for sharing your settings:

http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choice=select
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
^ Yeah, the only problem I've found is that the volume switch has to be kept really low for bedroom playing, because it blow your windows in two if you accidently knock it up to 13 =P