(im not sure actually if i post this in the right category, so sorry if didnt, its my first time to post one of these things) ok so, i dislocated my shoulder from playing basketball and i just went through surgery to fix it. now i am using a sling and im not allowed to move my shoulder for 3 weeks. which means i cant play guitar for 3 weeks. any advice on how to keep myself "musically fit" while i cant play? im allowed to move my elbow/wrist/fingers/etc. btw, just as long as my shoulder doesnt move.
If you want to play guitar.
Do not go Skiing.
Also, do Stretches before playing.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
You could probably play without moving your shoulder.

If that's your only instrument I'd suggest just doing some exercises for finger dexterity or learning a bit of theory then applying it all once you can play.

Honestly, three weeks off won't really affect your skill level very much.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by jm911
(im not sure actually if i post this in the right category, so sorry if didnt, its my first time to post one of these things) ok so, i dislocated my shoulder from playing basketball and i just went through surgery to fix it. now i am using a sling and im not allowed to move my shoulder for 3 weeks. which means i cant play guitar for 3 weeks. any advice on how to keep myself "musically fit" while i cant play? im allowed to move my elbow/wrist/fingers/etc. btw, just as long as my shoulder doesnt move.

With a 3 week recovery time, you should just rest, you don't need to be "musically fit" as there is very likely not going to be any degradation of your fitness or skill sets that you cannot quickly get back, once you fully recover and resume playing again. I'd take my recovery seriously, and the guitar can wait, and you won't have any real problems once you resume playing.

Best,

Sean
thanks for the advice guys im probably just worrying too much haha. with this knowledge i will be resting more peacefully now haha
Quote by FacetOfChaos
Honestly, three weeks off won't really affect your skill level very much.
This. In fact, a three week break could do wonders. I often find that I play too much and after taking a break of at least a few days I play better than ever.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Ear Trainer
Reading up on some theory (although this might not be so effective if you can't put it into practice with your guitar right away).
Broadening your musical horizons (aka listening to new music).
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Around 3 years ago I fractured a bone in my right (picking) hand and it had to be in a cast for about 6 weeks.

I had to cancel a number of gigs, but tuned one of my acoustic guitars to an open tuning and made songs by lying it down on it's back and tapping out harmonics and open finger picking. You may want to try that.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by food1010
This. In fact, a three week break could do wonders. I often find that I play too much and after taking a break of at least a few days I play better than ever.

this, ive found my fingers to be the most nimble after taking time off. in fact, if you want to continue playing good i recommend you let your shoulder heal, it probably wont affect you but you do use muscles all through your arm when playing guitar and if you jacked them up then you need to let them heal.