I spent most of today writing and recording a new song. I was trying to write something in E Dorian and I came up with this!

I am not really a keyboard player so please excuse the fudge ups on the keys (if any). Please let me know what you think. Crazy track! The best I've come up with yet, I think.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/hitman_47/

Track name: Life in Funk
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Last edited by hitman_47 at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Zeletros
"Slad da bass"

Ah, is that good or bad?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Quote by hitman_47
Ah, is that good or bad?

Well, I'm not into funk. Following a stereotype, I'm surprised I hear guitar much more clearly than bass. Good job.
Quote by Zeletros
Well, I'm not into funk. Following a stereotype, I'm surprised I hear guitar much more clearly than bass. Good job.

I used the piano for the bass content. There was a lot going on there and it filled up the bottom end nicely, so I didnt think of recording a bassline.

The background rhythm on the keys is what gives the funkier edge to the track, although the chord progression leans more jazz than funk. I think there are over 10 chords in the break down and 4 in the main rhythm. And what chords! There's a whole bunch of secondary dominants (tritone subs) in there giving that chromatic let down feel to the breakdown. It was a bitch to solo over that.
Quote by jpnyc

Quote by MarshallStackLP
Its a bit slow... not really funk... more chill music... but i think i heard it go a bit out at one point... its a bit repetitive aswell... but you have pretty good improvisation skills

crit mine mate?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1355837

Thank you. Crit on your profile.
Quote by jpnyc

This was sweet.
Sorry for getting back to you so late!
But lemme crit more as i go
It is very soothing, almost swingy, jazzy improvs. Which is essentially what i think you wanted, and you nailed it.
The changes in chords are flawless, the leads are sport in time, in key, nothing out of shape here.
Great track mate
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper