Hey guys, I have another thread started, but I want that to be closed, and it is inactive, so I hope this thread doesn't get deleted...

Ok, so I'm sure you've all heard way too much "What guitar should I get?". Well I'm sorta asking that, but a bit more specific. I've been looking to get a guitar that plays good hard rock/metal, but will play clean/crunchy tones too. I would say that hard rock/metal would be more important to me, but don't leave out the clean/crunch!

My amp will be Fender Super Champ XD (maybe Peavey Vypyr 30W but I doubt it) by time I get this new guitar so take that into thought. (I will quite possibly have a distortion pedal with the amp too)

Please consider reading my last several posts, to get up to date with what has been talked about.

EDIT:
Alright I have made a choice for 3 guitars while looking at other threads and answers from here. I'm not quite sure about active pickups though, so may be leaning towards the RG3 with a new set of pickups. I will list the pickups along with the guitar model here, but will also leave a link to Guitar Center's page so you can check out more specifications.

Ibanez RG3EXFM1 - $350
Since this is the cheapest, when comparing, consider this guitar with great passive pickups (EMG, SD, BK, etc...). Otherwise, stock are passive V7 and V8.

Ibanez RGA42FM - $500
Pickups are active IBZ LZ3 B/N.

Thanks guys I will stay active and answer questions you will ask!
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by webwarmiller
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-X50PRO-FE-Cognac.html
or
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-X200PRO-Trans-Black-Electric-Guitar.html

The X50PRO is a setneck while the X200 is a bolt-on.... Both provide MUCH better bang for you buck than the Ibanez...

Seymour duncans for 350... how could you possibly lose out?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
There is no way I'm getting a guitar without fret markers :P. I'll look into the first one though. I've heard lots of crap about Washburns, but I guess I might look into it. I don't know where I would play it though, I don't think Guitar Center has those to try. And I don't think anyone should buy a guitar without playing it first.

Oh and all of the Schecter's within my price range I could find at Guitar Center have active EMG's... I'm not so sure I want active pickups. And the fret are listed as "Extra Jumbo", is that any bigger than Jumpo frets? Schecter Research Damien Elite is the one I was specifically looking at.
Alright I have made a choice for 3 guitars while looking at other threads and answers from here. I'm not quite sure about active pickups though, so may be leaning towards the RG3 with a new set of pickups. I will list the pickups along with the guitar model here, but will also leave a link to Guitar Center's page so you can check out more specifications.

Ibanez RG3EXFM1 - $350
Since this is the cheapest, when comparing, consider this guitar with great passive pickups (EMG, SD, BK, etc...). Otherwise, stock are passive V7 and V8.

Ibanez RGA42FM - $500
Pickups are active, IBZ LZ3 B/N.

Schecter Damien Elite - $500
Pickups on this are also active, EMG 81/85.
^ I believe the washburns have fretmarkers on the side like mine, i've only been playing for a year or so and believe me it makes no difference. but i think it makes the guitar look at lot better personally, plus you can look like t3h ub4r l33t guitar player.

You've heard bad things about Washburn? I'm curious to hear what they are...
Well its your loss if you eliminate it from your 'list'
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I would go for the Washburn X200, but I just don't know where I would be able to try it out, (any Washburn for that matter before buying it. You get what I'm saying?
The Schecter is a different beast to an Ibanez due to the neck dimensions. An 'S' series Ibanez is an excellent choice:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S420-Electric-Guitar-105805725-i1499766.gc

and I think would be well worth a look:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man-John-Petrucci-Signature-Electric-Guitar-430687-i1535498.gc

This Godin could be worth a look as well:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Godin-Redline-HB-Electric-Guitar-620135-i1448585.gc

I've tried to stick to guitars that are on the website you posted a link to, though it's true that Washburn's are good value and I'd also suggest you check out the Cort range if you like Ibanez.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Sorry but I don't think Ill be considering any if those guitars, due to the fact that they don't have jumbo frets, and the Ibanez has a Floating bridge. Which I know how to maintain, I just can't be stuck with my only good guitar having a floating bridge.

Don't you still think it would he better to get some very nice pickups along with the RG3EXFM1 than all 3 you showed me anyways? I'm talking like a $150 set of pickups. Or the Schecter with EMGs?
It's your money, do what you think is best. The Ibanez isn't a bad guitar at all, but you could get a lot nicer for $500.

Also, Ibanez and Schecter are really different. Most of the time, if you like one you won't like the other. Do you know if you like either of them? Do you know what kind of necks you like?

Lastly, don't get a guitar with EMG's. Neither your Vypyr nor a Super Champ will be able to handle them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Sorry but I don't think Ill be considering any if those guitars, due to the fact that they don't have jumbo frets, and the Ibanez has a Floating bridge. Which I know how to maintain, I just can't be stuck with my only good guitar having a floating bridge.

Don't you still think it would he better to get some very nice pickups along with the RG3EXFM1 than all 3 you showed me anyways? I'm talking like a $150 set of pickups. Or the Schecter with EMGs?

Well, firstly, all those guitars have jumbo frets of some description, though they do range from medium jumbo to super jumbo but that won't make much difference overall and you should adapt to any of them easily. I just don't see that as an issue at all.

I did wonder about suggesting any guitars with a trem as I noticed that the ones you suggested didn't have them but I chose those three for specific reasons. I realise that the Ibanez has a floating trem but I chose the 'S' series partly because the ZR trem doesn't behave at all like most other floating trems and the ZR trem is widely considered to be one of the best you can buy. Furthermore, it seems to me that the sort of Ibanez guitar your looking at is far more common with a locking trem of some sort and will therefore have a better resale value with one. Certainly the Ibanez could use an upgrade to the pickups but the configuration offers loads of possibilities and the guitar is just fundamentally very good for the price.

I chose the Music Man because it is again a very good guitar indeed with an excellent specification and it offered you a slightly different style of trem with the advantage of locking tuners.

The Godin was my fixed bridge offering as an alternative to what you had already suggested and is another good guitar at that price point.

As other people have said, guitars like an Ibanez and Schecter are worlds apart so if you really like the Ibanez, it's doubtful you'll get on with the Schecter. Based on the website you suggested, I stand by my suggestions but clearly it's your money and your choice
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Offworld92
It's your money, do what you think is best. The Ibanez isn't a bad guitar at all, but you could get a lot nicer for $500.

Also, Ibanez and Schecter are really different. Most of the time, if you like one you won't like the other. Do you know if you like either of them? Do you know what kind of necks you like?

Lastly, don't get a guitar with EMG's. Neither your Vypyr nor a Super Champ will be able to handle them.

His amps will handle emgs fine it wont sound as good as a tube amp but its not lie the vyper or super champs going to blow up cuz emgs are so brootalz lol
Also i like schecter and ibanez guitars.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92

Yeah I really love Ibanez, so I guess an Ibanez would be a good one for me. The Wizards II Necks are amazing, and I really like the looks and feels of Ibanez guitars. What Ibanez do you recommend for $500 if you say I can do better than the RG3 for $500 then?

Also, after doing some research, I think I would like to keep passive pickups on my guitar, which is the only reason I still have the RG3EXFM1 under my considerations.

Ok, so this leaves me with $500 for a fixed bridge Ibanez routed for passive pickups. Although I have heard that Jacksons and ESPs are similar to Ibanez....

EDP LTD H-401FM
Jackon JS32RT Dinky

Geez! Picking out a guitar is so hard!
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Yeah I really love Ibanez, so I guess an Ibanez would be a good one for me. The Wizards II Necks are amazing, and I really like the looks and feels of Ibanez guitars. What Ibanez do you recommend for $500 if you say I can do better than the RG3 for $500 then?

Also, after doing some research, I think I would like to keep passive pickups on my guitar, which is the only reason I still have the RG3EXFM1 under my considerations.

Ok, so this leaves me with $500 for a fixed bridge Ibanez routed for passive pickups. Although I have heard that Jacksons and ESPs are similar to Ibanez....

EDP LTD H-401FM
Jackon JS32RT Dinky

Geez! Picking out a guitar is so hard!

where do you live?

do you want a tremolo?is a tremolo ok?
Quote by archenemyfan
where do you live?

do you want a tremolo?is a tremolo ok?

Michigan USA
About the tremolo, if you mean a non floating bridge one then maybe. With non floating tremolos you don't have to adjust it and stuff to change tunings do you? If you don't have to then sure that's ok, but if you do have to mess with the bridge to change tunings then no. I change tunings a lot.

Quote by Nightgaunt
Definitely Agiles for 7 and 8 strings.

Uhh, since when did I say I wanted a 7 or 8 string guitar? No I'm just looking for a 6 string...
Unfortunately, Ibanez doesn't really make any mid ranged fixed bridge guitars. For the most quality for your money, I'd look for a used Ibanez Prestige, and if you need a fixed bridge, you can block the trem for free or near free.

You may need to save up a little more, but Prestiges are worth every penny and more.

Also, by blocking a floating bridge, you get way more advantages to your fixed bridge than a normal fixed bridge, the biggest one being tuning stability.

You should be able to find an RG1550 or 1570 in your price range, or a little above.

I've seen them on GC used for under $500, so it's definitely possible.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Also, by blocking a floating bridge, you get way more advantages to your fixed bridge than a normal fixed bridge, the biggest one being tuning stability.

So can I just tune to Drop D only by loosening the nut? If that is the case, along with not having to change the intonation and stuff, then I might consider it.
You know, I think I might just grab an RG3EXFM1 as long as its not a crappy guitar. I'll just swap the pickups eventually.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
So can I just tune to Drop D only by loosening the nut? If that is the case, along with not having to change the intonation and stuff, then I might consider it.

yep

Quote by Diesel Weasel
You know, I think I might just grab an RG3EXFM1 as long as its not a crappy guitar. I'll just swap the pickups eventually.

If you can,save up for a used prestige or a used MIJ ibby,as offworld said,they are worth every penny and more
Quote by Diesel Weasel

If you block the bridge, you can change tunings like on a fixed bridge, just unlock the nut.

And don't do that. A new RG3 is like $350? For $500 you could get an MIJ Ibanez. If you can save that much. It's infinitely better. I can't exaggerate how much, and for not that much more money.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks! Could you give me a good example of an MIJ? Because I'm all for it if its going to be better than the RG3, thats what I've been trying to find. I still think I just want a fixed bridge though, only because it will be my only good guitar that I will play. And also, I'm only getting my second guitar, and upgrade from my $160 Epiphone SG Special, so it's not like this guitar needs to be the best one out there, I just want a the best I can for $500.
You won't be able to find a fixed bridge MIJ in your budget - you have to block the trem. It's worth it.

And I already did. I said look for RG1550's or RG1570's.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Thanks! Could you give me a good example of an MIJ? Because I'm all for it if its going to be better than the RG3, thats what I've been trying to find. I still think I just want a fixed bridge though, only because it will be my only good guitar that I will play. And also, I'm only getting my second guitar, and upgrade from my $160 Epiphone SG Special, so it's not like this guitar needs to be the best one out there, I just want a the best I can for $500.

Rg550,Rg570,Rg770,Rg1570,Rg1550,S540

http://cgi.ebay.com/1990-Ibanez-S540-S-540-Saber-MIJ-Made-Japan-Guitar-/230505279422?pt=Guitar&hash=item35ab2f6fbe#ht_3000wt_1046
What type of bridge does the RG770FM have? Just the original Edge I? Isn't that like a horrible floating tremolo?

Also, do any of you think since I'm a beginner guitarist to just stick with fixed for now? Or should I just go for it? I really don't want to have to be adjusting stuff (and learning proper ways to do it) or not know what to do with it, so even if I block it will it have those problems?
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by Diesel Weasel
What type of bridge does the RG770FM have? Just the original Edge I? Isn't that like a horrible floating tremolo?

Also, do any of you think since I'm a beginner guitarist to just stick with fixed for now? Or should I just go for it? I really don't want to have to be adjusting stuff (and learning proper ways to do it) or not know what to do with it, so even if I block it will it have those problems?

how many times do i have to say?NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the original Edge is one of the best trem around,the trems that you should avoid are EDGE III and LO TRS
hmm that looks nice indeed,but dont expect it to be in brand spanklin new,remember you are buying used...

the tremolno is nice if you want to block the trem,other modes are crap...but as all you want to do is block the trem,its nice..

again,Invaders arent the best pups,but you can always swap em out

ask the seller for any crack,especially in the neck pcket and in the neck,if you can, its better to ask for more detailed pics of the back,as I dont see any in the ad,
Actually he did have a link to VERY detailed conditions and pictures of it, like 30 of them. But yeah I still really don't think I want that particular one just because I can't play it before I buy it. So if was ever to buy used, I'd have to buy the guitar from Craigslist, or Guitar Center.
You know, I really don't think I want to get a used or Ibanez this time... actually. Unless of course I happen to find one at Guitar Center when I have money to spare. So then the RG3EXFM1 would be my best bet? I know there are some Ibanez's within $500 that have the Edge II bridge, but those have crap pickups I've heard.
meh its your choice...what would you rather want? A shitty New guitar or a Used but quality instrument?

edge III crap BTW
what i have realized over time is that asking people for help picking guitars or amps or anything is ****ing pointless. its you. you and nothing but you. play every single e brand model and so on you can get your hands on. **** what any prissy bitch says on this site its you that matters. not the opinion of others. no matter what, eveyone has different tastes in tone. everything is so over done that it really up to the player. if you want to go by what everyone says then do so and be more than likely unhapy with what you pick. i was mislead when i was younger and picked some shit guitars that i thou√t where legit. if it takes you 3 years to find the guitar for you, do it. do not settle. i promise you itll hurt you in the long run. if music is what you want to do, then make every judgment souly on what feels right to you. websites like this are good for only small mundane bull shit. no one can tell you whats right to the feel of you hands and ears.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Diesel Weasel
You know, I really don't think I want to get a used or Ibanez this time... actually. Unless of course I happen to find one at Guitar Center when I have money to spare. So then the RG3EXFM1 would be my best bet? I know there are some Ibanez's within $500 that have the Edge II bridge, but those have crap pickups I've heard.

Whatever dude, it's your money. If you want to get a new RG3 instead of a used Prestige, then that's your choice.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Crohny
what i have realized over time is that asking people for help picking guitars or amps or anything is ****ing pointless. its you. you and nothing but you. play every single e brand model and so on you can get your hands on. **** what any prissy bitch says on this site its you that matters. not the opinion of others. no matter what, eveyone has different tastes in tone. everything is so over done that it really up to the player. if you want to go by what everyone says then do so and be more than likely unhapy with what you pick. i was mislead when i was younger and picked some shit guitars that i thou√t where legit. if it takes you 3 years to find the guitar for you, do it. do not settle. i promise you itll hurt you in the long run. if music is what you want to do, then make every judgment souly on what feels right to you. websites like this are good for only small mundane bull shit. no one can tell you whats right to the feel of you hands and ears.

j. chill man

you have a point there,but,sometimes you do need the opinion of more experienced people.....the guy is a beginner,he has a reasonable budget,and he doesnt know much about guitars...what if he gets a dean razorback and a MG halfstack?its a waste of money,he will regret it afterwards.we're here to help misinformed people,guide them and help them make an informed decision,a decision that they will not regret afterwards..

you dont have to be all pissy about that BTW ,you could've been a little more polite

I'm done,TS buy a RG350DX if it makes you happy..but please dont complain about fretbuzz,bridge crapping out in months and crap sounding pickups afterwards
Geez Crohny seriously chill! I agree with Archenemyfan, it is good to know what guitars have been known to have problems and which haven't, plus getting advice from experienced players.
And by the way, it isn't like I'd rather have the cheaper Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (NOT RG350DX) than a used prestige... Maybe I should just see if I can pull out a lightly bigger budget and keep waiting for one to show up at my local Guitar Center or on Craigslist. That way I would be able to try it before I buy it, which is REALLY important to me.
In a worst case scenario, you could try out a new one, so you get a good idea of what they're like, then ebay one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Good idea, I might try to check that out... the people at Guitar Center are going to get to know me pretty well... haha.

Anyways, I guess patience and playing a bunch of different guitar is the best way to go. And I would also look up reviews online for them too...