--------------------------------------------------|
--5---7-----------5----7------------7----8----|
----0----0--0--0----0----0--0--0----0----0--|
. . . . . . . . . .

. = PM

Edit: okay, gah.... well, I guess you understand that the 0's are meant to be palm muted anyway.

Well, playing it by downpicking the 0's which are between 5 and 7 and also downpicking 5 and 7 is just really slow, so what my guess is, is that I should play it like this:
First down-picking the 5, then up-picking the 0, then down-picking the 7, then alternate picking the three 0's, and keep going like that.
Is that the right way to play it or am I just waaay off?
Last edited by Erra93 at Aug 28, 2010,
No. Do all downpicking. If you are slow right now, then you need to practise, bcause trust me, alot of rock songs use this technique. DOWNPICK ALL THE NOTES, and plam-mute just the open strings...or both strings if it is like that in the song.

It is actually a really easy technique, and once you can do it fast, it makes you look and sound much better.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
I just tried playing it, personally found starting with an upstroke on that D and then alternate picking the rest from there was the most comfortable way for me.
I'd do like you said, downpick the 5, up-pick the 0, downpick the 7, up 0, down 0, up 0, down 5, up 0, down 7, etc. I'm just a beginner though, so what do I know?
Quote by 365_days_gone
No. Do all downpicking. If you are slow right now, then you need to practise, bcause trust me, alot of rock songs use this technique. DOWNPICK ALL THE NOTES, and plam-mute just the open strings...or both strings if it is like that in the song.

It is actually a really easy technique, and once you can do it fast, it makes you look and sound much better.

/facepalm

Seriously, if youre going to be playing it quite fast, dont downpick them all. Thats just ridiculous, not good for your wrist either, and it does NOT "make you look and sound much better."
Quote by farmosh203
I'd do like you said, downpick the 5, up-pick the 0, downpick the 7, up 0, down 0, up 0, down 5, up 0, down 7, etc. I'm just a beginner though, so what do I know?

I do the opposite, i.e. up first on the 5, then down on the 0, then up on the 7, down on the 0, etc. But if you find that comfortable, then carry on.
Quote by 365_days_gone
No. Do all downpicking.

Why in the hell would you downpick all that? If you want any speed at all in that riff your gonna have to use some alternate picking.
Quote by mishax92
/facepalm

Seriously, if youre going to be playing it quite fast, dont downpick them all. Thats just ridiculous, not good for your wrist either, and it does NOT "make you look and sound much better."

It is called increasing your speed. I suggest downpicking all of it. Unless the song is like 200bpm, obviously...but I am assuming it isnt very fast.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
I think it's around 250 bpm.. :p

Edit: It's from the song "Apologies Are For The Weak" by Miss May I
It's very fast at least, but it's just that.. doing it the way I suggested, is awesomely difficult :|
Quote by 365_days_gone
It is called increasing your speed. I suggest downpicking all of it. Unless the song is like 200bpm, obviously...but I am assuming it isnt very fast.

No, its called hindering your speed. In no way would downpicking all of it be a good idea.
Quote by Erra93
I think it's around 250 bpm.. :p

Edit: It's from the song "Apologies Are For The Weak" by Miss May I
It's very fast at least, but it's just that.. doing it the way I suggested, is awesomely difficult :|
ya, ok, then obviously not...

You should just move all the notes to the top string...might be easier, but harder if only the open notes are PM'ed.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Last edited by 365_days_gone at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by 365_days_gone

So downpicking is called increasing your speed?

Why exactly are you here answering someones question? When you obviously don't need to be giving answers.......
Quote by 365_days_gone

Wow, you must suck on the guitar.
Just use alternate picking, start with a downstroke and upstroke the 5's and 7's, that's the best way by far.
Quote by Oixord
Just use alternate picking, start with a downstroke and upstroke the 5's and 7's, that's the best way by far.
wow...I suck at guitar, because I can downpick really fast? ok...whatever, it is a matter of opinion, I am leaving.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by Oixord

My guess is, he's learning how to play Master of Puppets, and he now thinks downstrokes are the key to everything.
I've found that up-picking the D string and down picking/alt picking on the E string is the easiest for me, however, how would you play this:

---------------------------------------------------|
------8---8---5---8---8-------------------------|
-5-5---5---5---5---5----------------------------|

5's are palm mutes
(it's from Parkway Drive - Idols and Anchors)
Quote by 365_days_gone
wow...I suck at guitar, because I can downpick really fast? ok...whatever, it is a matter of opinion, I am leaving.

OK, fair enough, you may be good at guitar.. but who in their right-mind would give advice saying to downpick all of it, when it is clearly far easier to use alternate picking...

Play the songs how they're meant to be played. Use alternate picking.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Thanks a lot to everyone who told me to up-pick the 5's and 7's, I love you all big time! Finally I can learn those two songs :p <3333
Quote by -LAW-
OK, fair enough, you may be good at guitar.. but who in their right-mind would give advice saying to downpick all of it, when it is clearly far easier to use alternate picking...

Play the songs how they're meant to be played. Use alternate picking.

Metal is largely built around downpicking riffs like that or at least only using downstrokes on the low pedal tones, whether you can hear it or not it does sound different if you downpick everything and that's what we're going for when we downpick. At 250bpm it's a little impractical and I think the first answer was a little hasty without knowing the speed but still, downpicking is a skill that is well worth having if you intend to play lots of metal.

Also, stop thinking purely in terms of ease, a lot of the time doing things the hard way produces a different sound that sometimes you will want; if you don't practice the skills for those times you'll be left compromising on the sound and no one wants that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Metal is largely built around downpicking riffs like that or at least only using downstrokes on the low pedal tones, whether you can hear it or not it does sound different if you downpick everything and that's what we're going for when we downpick. At 250bpm it's a little impractical and I think the first answer was a little hasty without knowing the speed but still, downpicking is a skill that is well worth having if you intend to play lots of metal.

Also, stop thinking purely in terms of ease, a lot of the time doing things the hard way produces a different sound that sometimes you will want; if you don't practice the skills for those times you'll be left compromising on the sound and no one wants that.

Indeed, I usually go for down-picking, but hey, I don't want to **** up my wrist by down-picking at 250+ bpm :P

Also, I'm thinking more in the terms of possible/not possible :P
Quote by Erra93
Indeed, I usually go for down-picking, but hey, I don't want to **** up my wrist by down-picking at 250+ bpm :P

Also, I'm thinking more in the terms of possible/not possible :P

I'm sure it's possible, bands like The Berserker have riffs that they downpick at speeds beyond that. As long as your technique is good if it's physically possible you shouldn't damage yourself at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
365_days_gone, that was some bad advice...

To the OP:

For your first riff, have you ever tried moving them down to the large string and just alternate pick? I wouldn't do what I said here, as I'd play it the way everyone else says to play it... but you could do:

---0--0--10--0--12--0--0---

That was a shitty translation, but maybe you will get the point. Use your music theory to put the (what is A string if E std tuning) to the E string.

Though personally if I do this, it ends up sounding muddy around fret 12 or >12
: )
Quote by mishax92
No, its called hindering your speed. In no way would downpicking all of it be a good idea.

If it isn't higher than 220 BPM it is possible, some people can even go up to 250.
It does sound better IMO.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
If it isn't higher than 220 BPM it is possible, some people can even go up to 250.
It does sound better IMO.

Yeah.. Let's focus on practising for 5 years to get that good instead of just playing it the way most people would play it and do it in less than a month... Right! I definitely feel like that is something I would like to do.. Haha, but thanks anyway, I'm just not that much of a beast

Quote by Cjk10000
365_days_gone, that was some bad advice...

To the OP:

For your first riff, have you ever tried moving them down to the large string and just alternate pick? I wouldn't do what I said here, as I'd play it the way everyone else says to play it... but you could do:

---0--0--10--0--12--0--0---

That was a shitty translation, but maybe you will get the point. Use your music theory to put the (what is A string if E std tuning) to the E string.

Though personally if I do this, it ends up sounding muddy around fret 12 or >12

It's a song I want to make a cover of, and I've already stated that it's going good doing ups on the 5's and 7's and downs on the 0's, thanks anyway though

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm sure it's possible, bands like The Berserker have riffs that they downpick at speeds beyond that. As long as your technique is good if it's physically possible you shouldn't damage yourself at all.

Same as Nilpferdkoenig, could be something for the future, but right now I'm going to focus on learning this song to not loose interest
First you question my answer: I would downpick all the 0's and up pick the 5-7 and 8 notes myself. and the the 0's in the middle, id probably do an alt pick thing there. but it would depend on how it sounded to me.

When I first started learning the guitar I was heavily into metallica and all the articles I read was downpick this and downpick that. Since then ive learned that not all those songs can be played with JUST downpicking. there are times when alt. picking works better. Listen to whats going on rhythmically and then decide which will be better for YOU.

One of those songs I like to dispute in my head is Creeping Death. I would try to do all downpicks in that tune but the more I tried the more I failed. So one day I decided to try alt picking and I nailed it the first time and have done so since so......
Play the Art that Plays
Quote by Erra93
Yeah.. Let's focus on practising for 5 years to get that good instead of just playing it the way most people would play it and do it in less than a month... Right! I definitely feel like that is something I would like to do.. Haha, but thanks anyway, I'm just not that much of a beast

There's a kid on Youtube covering Master Of Puppets with all downpicking and he's been playing for 6 months. That's 210-220 BPM.
You could probably learn to do it within two months if you put your heart at it but you obviously don't care.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
There's a kid on Youtube covering Master Of Puppets with all downpicking and he's been playing for 6 months. That's 210-220 BPM.
You could probably learn to do it within two months if you put your heart at it but you obviously don't care.

1. I most likely don't play as much guitar as him.
2. I obviously don't care, yet at least.
3. This song is pretty much AT LEAST 250 bpm (I'm thinking), the tab I found is 280 bpm, but it's not that fast.
Start with downpicking to get the idea of it down, then once you feel comfy with it, switch to alternate. That way you'll be good at both and have the technique nailed.
Instead of arguing about it because the OP found out how he was going to do it, why can't we all just agree that we all play different styles and use different methods. I myself downpick eight notes all the way up to 220. Anything faster than that is near suicide for your picking hand/wrist. I am not familiar with the song in question but based off the tab it looks like a standard metalcore riff (drop tuning I assume...) in which case it would be all downpicked because that is how metalcore is played but upon further reading, the tempo makes this impossible (well, nearly...)
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Instead of arguing about it because the OP found out how he was going to do it, why can't we all just agree that we all play different styles and use different methods. I myself downpick eight notes all the way up to 220. Anything faster than that is near suicide for your picking hand/wrist. I am not familiar with the song in question but based off the tab it looks like a standard metalcore riff (drop tuning I assume...) in which case it would be all downpicked because that is how metalcore is played but upon further reading, the tempo makes this impossible (well, nearly...)

Exactly, thank you dear Weaponxclaws