Hi
This week i just got my new Walden DC350CE and before trying to lower the saddle (the action is pretty high) I want to know if this is going to be safe.
Here is my saddle

Here is a closer look to the B string section

Will I ruin my intonation if I lower it a little?
Also the guitar has 0,12's, should i use 013's for C# Standard/(DADGAD)b?
Thanks!

EDIT: Wow, i didn't know that the picures were so big and bad.
Hola.
Last edited by luyano at Aug 28, 2010,
no it might make it better since your not bending the string as much to get to the fret
Yes to the heavier strings. Saddle height and intonation ... maybe. Get a piece of somewhat fine sandpaper, like 220 grit. Use that to sand down the bridge. Take a VERY small amount at a time. It'll probably take you three or four tries of removing the saddle, sanding, replacing the saddling, retuning, and trying the guitar.

Unlike an electric, if you drop the action too low it's not very easy to raise it again. Also unlike an electric, you'll get very poor sustain and tone if the action is too low, largely because of the thicker strings. It's a matter of personal preference, but I feel that if you have low action above the 7th fret or so, then the guitar won't sound 'full' unless it's plugged in. Then again, I play my acoustic pretty rough. If you have a light touch, then you could drop the action more.

Just remember to make little tiny changes, and be prepared to buy another saddle. Oh, and if it's an acoustic-electric, DO NOT mess with the little strip under the saddle.
And just to clarify a bit what the Frets.com site will explain, when you lower a saddle, unless the intonation is off, you NEVER sand the top. The top face where the strings lay is crowned and shaped to give the best approximation of correct intonation when the guitar was made. Action is lowered by sanding and removing an even amount of material from the BOTTOM of the saddle piece, and at times the same can be done to the nut at the other end of the neck. If you go with those heavier strings and want to keep them on, then you'll most likely need a truss rod adjustment as well. If you plan on going back and forth between standard tuning and the alt tuning, I'd stick with the .012 gauge strings. Less messing with the setup of the guitar that way.
For lowering the saddle, buy a bone blank for a couple of $$ and make a new one, using the old one as a template - it is easy to sand and if you stuff it or go too low up you can just put the old one back and try again.